What do you do when

storyteller

I’m curious if anybody else here has ever been tempted to shut down their gig permanently. Don’t get me wrong, Fiverr saved my skin when I was going through a rough patch financially, but sometimes I get overwhelmed with orders or stuff out in the real world and I’m tempted to just close it down, finish up whatever orders I still have in queue, and just walk away. Does anybody else feel this way sometimes, and what do you do when that happens?

I must say, when I first got a featured gig.

Boy did that bust my butt.

I was on slow internet, was delivering these PDFs I had to make each time. And I was doing other things so that I was having between regular stuff and Fiverr like 12 to 16 hour days.

I had to totally rework my business, but I couldn’t do it for like 3 week.

But I just wanted more sale, never fewer 🙂

^^Wow, I hope you upgraded your Internet since then, Anarchofighter. Madmoo, I probably should have clarified that I just have the one gig. I used to have others, but like you said, I shut down the ones that proved to be too much trouble or they got outdated.

I probably will miss Fiverr if/when I do finally decide to pack it in, but it’s nice to know it’s there if I ever need a financial boost.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tn5rr2012

Early in my career with fiverr some things happened and I had a couple of knee jerk reaction but now I depend on the income I generate to get me through the end of the month plus I love what I am doing so much I just cannot imagine chopping my family tree gig down

I almost left Fiverr just before the summer for one reason or another. I was 8 months pregnant at the time and getting ready to take maternity leave when all these orders came rushing in and there were other things going on. In the end, I suspended the gigs, completed the ones that I had and walked away from Fiverr for about three months. I lost my levels during that time but it was worth it to be able to spend some time with my newborn and remove the stress from work - Fiverr is just a side gig for me but it started turning into a full time job but for half the pay!

I’ve now got the gigs back up and had to cancel a few orders because buyers don’t always read the gig description but I’ve got my levels back. I’m glad I didn’t completely close it down because I’ve got the fun back into the gigs again. I do still have a couple of my gigs suspended though because they were more hassle than they were worth.

Guest tn5rr2012

Reply to aingham69: I thinking pausing the gig is a good rule of thumb if you feel like you need to shut down, then you don’t lose all your work and feedback.

Nope! Not yet, anyway. I have suspended a few gigs, like an article writing one, cos I simply couldn’t keep up with the massive amount of effort it takes to write a quality article. I really respect the hard work of those on Fiverr who are doing massive high quality article gigs! That’s no easy feat.

Reply to @yankee77: I’m an online writer full-time and Fiverr is just one of my revenue streams for that. It is difficult in the beginning and there are times that I still take time because of the research needed. I’ve now found that the majority of the orders I get take 20min max to do since I’ve done the research in the past and I’ve developed a system with storing URLs for research I’ve done. I don’t offer writing college papers though, just online articles, web content, blogs etc. usually to help with back links and SEO.

Guest tn5rr2012

Reply to aingham69: Anytime you leave a business behind for an extended period of time you usually have to start back at the bottom but at least you have more expertise in the product than you did when you first started out. I know that when I left my admninistrative job back in the early 90’s to stay home with my kids I lost a lot of my clout and when I returned to the work force I had to start back at the bottom rung, it took me about 4 years to get back to the top again (that is an extreme example) Keep up the good work and keep climibing

Absolutely. Sometimes things away from the online world get to be a bit too much, motivation takes a hit and you feel like crawling into a hole to hibernate for the duration. Like so many peers here have already said, when you leave the ‘fiverr business’ for any length of time, it just takes so much longer to get back to the same level again and if you’re more or less dependent on the income, closing gigs permanently is only going to give headaches on so many fronts. I do sometimes have to pause gigs for a day or so due to a rush with orders and to catch up. Fiverr has helped in so many ways to get back on my feet again - so I wouldn’t dream of ‘closing down’ but I do understand and sympathize with the overwhelming feeling - but getting lots of orders is kind of a luxury problem - or?

Reply to @tn5rr2012: I was quite surprised that it didn’t take me too long to get back to where I was. I lost my levels but within a week they were back again and all my extras returned to me. It helped that I contacted a couple of repeat buyers to explain that I was back from leave and they could place orders if they wished - and they did. I expected it to take a couple of months to get back to where I was before I left and a lot of contacting previous buyers. I think my feedback helped me, which is why I’m really glad that I didn’t completely leave when I was considering it.

• 6 months later...

What does one do if they have mostly EXPRESS gigs but are going away for the

weekend and will not be able to deliver express?

Is there a good way to put a pause button on them and pick them up again on MONDAY?

It seems I can either

A) Suspend all my gigs but maybe the better option is

B) Extend the delivery time on all my gigs by a few days and then

change them back to EXPRESS when I return?

Ill be away FRI-SUN , back mon and tues, away again wed-fri, back sat

How does one deal with this? Just extend all gigs 7 or 8 days but then

I lose that express status or can I get it back when I return?

Thanks for any advice and help!

Matt

It’d be nice if we could put up a message saying :

Still taking ORDERS but will be delivered on this day

EXPRESS STATUS back on x day etc.

So we can still get orders and not lose express status, people

have days where they go away and can’t get to a computer to get things done.

Personally, I have taken a LOT of breaks from my gigs. I have had 4 to 6 month gaps as my in person job was keeping me overwhelmingly busy as it is. Now that I am back after a big long gap(If I didn’t take that gap I may very well have become a top-rated seller by now!!), I never officially leave or “close down a gig”, though. If you’re having a rough patch or feeling stressed, perhaps pause your gig and re-work it. I have did that with a few of mine in the past. Alternatively if you plan on taking a break, just stretch out your delivery time to a pretty long amount of time… which in general, should slow down orders a lot. Give you some “thinking time” to decide whether you want to stay, or leave. I recommend staying, especially with the upcoming new version of Fiverr. High profit margin, more long-term client potential, etc.

In general, when I feel a bit stressed, I “pause” or at least increase delivery time a good bit for gigs I need a bit of a gap from to “de-stress”.

tn5rr2012 said: I love what I am doing so much I just cannot imagine chopping my family tree gig down

Bahahah, "chopping my family tree gig"

Archived