Top 10 Tips To Keep the Client Happy

crorkservice

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These certainly are good points.

I place particular value on rewarding returning customers and delivering above and beyond in the hope that they will become returning customers. I value a customer placing another order with me more than very nice polite feedback- because it means I did my job well enough for them to want more and so when they are nice enough to order with me again I always try to offer them an extra. For example, I will design them two versions instead of one so they have a choice… or if they want a portrait I might throw them in a free background if that’s not against what they want.

Something that I do, that has been very well received with my customers is to keep them updated EVERY step of the way even if I have nothing to show them at time. For example, when I have received the order I will message them to say that I have received and understood the instructions and that I will be able to begin working on it around X with the hope of having it completed by Y (always well within the delivery time). If it gets to X and I haven’t started, I will then inform the customer of the honest reason and give them an adjusted Y time. Even though I am not delivering them their product when I message them they are grateful for being kept in the loop.

For my event poster gig, I actually offer to make 10 ‘versions’ of the designs. Some of which are completely different and some of which are very similar with just fonts, colors or text positioning changes. This makes the customer super happy for many reasons:

• It gives them more choice and introduces them to ideas they may not have thought of or seen if you only sent one design.
  • It shows you’ve put time, thought and creativity into their order and they appreciate the amount of work you’ve done
  • It cuts down number of revisions and time taken for revisions; for example 90% of my revisions are something along the line of… can I have v4 with the font from v7- all I have to do is open the original v4 doc, change the font and forward it on and I have a happy customer. So whilst making more in the beginning may take a little longer, it may also cut down your revision time alot as all the different versions already exist.

I wouldn’t recommend it for every gig, and I certainly wouldn’t recommend doing 10 versions for all gigs (for example if you offered someone 10 versions of a logo you’d probably give them TOO much choice and blow their mind). But making 10 versions shouldn’t take that much longer as it’s not 10 totally new orders… it’s the same order but in different ‘arrangements’.

Reply to @adroitdesigns: Well, from what I see you are very hardworking and doing a great job!

It depends on the category you work in. Your job is mostly creative, you do something that people may like, may choose fonts/colors or have some design ideas… What I do is concrete, I can’t make 10 versions of links or submissions 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Archived