This is inadmissible

visualstudios

@Kesha Against my best judgement I reactivated promoted gigs with a higher cpc, as I figured that could be the issue. This is what I get. Why am I paying for this? Why can't I BLOCK certain countries from being advertised to? It's always the same BS. Why does Fiverr allow this? Why would ANYONE use promoted gigs, if when I turn them on I get 100% spam, and never proper contacts? When will this be fixed for good?

Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 20.31.57.png

Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 20.32.10.png

Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 20.34.12.png

• Like 9

Until I can control promoted gigs so they are only shown to USA and select European countries, I will never use this again. I'm not going to pay to be harassed by people who have no intention to buy my services, always from SE Asia and Latin America, which are NOT my target market because I've yet to see any clients there with proper budgets. This is ridiculous.

I will not pay for garbage.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 7
  • Support 1

On 9/8/2024 at 2:37 PM, visualstudios said:

Until I can control promoted gigs so they are only shown to USA and select European countries, I will never use this again. I'm not going to pay to be harassed by people who have no intention to buy my services, always from SE Asia and Latin America, which are NOT my target market because I've yet to see any clients there with proper budgets. This is ridiculous.

I will not pay for garbage.

It is unheard of not to be able to place paid advertising precisely where you want it geographically, as well as targeted by age, gender, ethnicity, income level, education level, marital status and many more. It is for the same reason that I discontinued using Fiverr's promoted gigs.

With Google ads I could advertise just to women between 25 and 34 years of age who like the NFL, drive Toyotas and live in Philadelphia.

Fiverr just throws your spend into the randomness of their user base, and you pay for junk. 

• Like 9
  • Up 1
  • Support 3

On 9/10/2024 at 10:16 AM, newsmike said:

Fiverr just throws your spend into the randomness of their user base, and you pay for junk. 

It's worse than that - because I pay for junk exclusively. It's not "random", if it was I'd get the spam and the real clients. Nope. No real clients at all. Every single message I get is spam, and every single message I get is from a list of the same 3 or 4 countries. They also come in batches, like days without anything and then 3 or 4 back to back within minutes. This isn't "random". 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

It's worse than that - because I pay for junk exclusively. It's not "random", if it was I'd get the spam and the real clients. Nope. No real clients at all. Every single message I get is spam, and every single message I get is from a list of the same 3 or 4 countries. They also come in batches, like days without anything and then 3 or 4 back to back within minutes. This isn't "random". 

In all we have coupons, campaigns and promoted gigs. The coupons and campaigns are fine for getting an incentive in front of some new buyers and there is no liability as to cost. Only the Seller Plus subscription fees apply, so we don't really expect much from these either way.

Fiverr needs to realize that if they want to charge us up to $3 per click, then they have to find a way to ensure that only vetted, eligible populations will ever be exposed to the advertising and have the opportunity to click your gig. Isn't that the entire point of paying a premium per click? Otherwise it is a lot like advertising the local BMW dealership by handing out flyers at the unemployment office.

I realize that in the example I gave earlier, Google has access to the data to drill down to a very granular level, where Fiverr never would. However, they could easily institute some baseline requirements that might help. Even if they did not want to allow a checkbox for countries that can view (although they should) what is preventing them from saying that a Voice Over seller who uses promoted gigs, will have the ability to be seen only by buyers who meet the following:

Top 25 countries that purchase Voice Over services. Honestly, there are only about a dozen that make up 98% of my business, and 3 countries that make up 90%, so this is generous. 

Buyers with a spend history in the top 30% by dollar amount. Cause who wants $5 buyers costing you $3 per click?

Buyers with overall positive reviews from sellers.

Those just to start? Why pay for bad leads?

Fiverr must deliver an elite audience for $3 per click, or no one will buy the service. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 8
  • Up 2

42 minutes ago, newsmike said:

The coupons and campaigns are fine for getting an incentive in front of some new buyers and there is no liability as to cost.

And these only work for fixed price services. People who sell things by the word / minute / whatever can use these tools effectively. I need to price each project individually, after a lengthy talk with prospective leads, and each offer is bespoke, so these make no sense for me at all. 

Promoted gigs are also useless, no good leads, and spam.

So I have no tools, effectively, to promote my business on this platform.

• Like 5

I've definitely had varied success/ROI with promoted gigs, but I don't believe it's ever been less than 1X.

Do you guys ( @visualstudios @newsmike) use Google ads to drive people to your own sites, if so I'm guessing you get a much better ROI?

From what I recall (I'm no Google ads expert!), a return of 2 to 1 on your spend is considered average/the norm (obviously it varies). I'd love to know the average ROI for Fiverr promoted gigs.

I also agree targeting specific niches would be good (actually that also means more work for me so I'm not sure), but I assume Fiverr is already doing this by trying to match the right sellers with the right buyers.

I'm not saying they get it right every time, of course they don't, but I assume this is their goal because ineffective promoted gigs don't help Fiverr, sellers, or buyers.

Anyway, note to self, start tracking promoted gigs!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, williambryan392 said:

Do you guys ( @visualstudios @newsmike) use Google ads to drive people to your own sites, if so I'm guessing you get a much better ROI?

I do not pay for traffic at all.

1 hour ago, williambryan392 said:

From what I recall (I'm no Google ads expert!), a return of 2 to 1 on your spend is considered average/the norm (obviously it varies). I'd love to know the average ROI for Fiverr promoted gigs.

On Fiverr I've been paying 20% commission since.. always. That's 5:1, and it's actually better since I'm not paying anything upfront. If I need to pay 2:1 for promoted gigs, that means I'm paying 50%... plus 20%... so, 70% of my order value? Ahahah, that's ridiculous. At that point I'd rather beg for money on the street, instead of being robbed. The moment I get to keep 30% of the value I sell, is the moment I quit working. Enough is enough.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, visualstudios said:

On Fiverr I've been paying 20% commission since.. always. That's 5:1, and it's actually better since I'm not paying anything upfront

I agree, 5:1 is a brilliant ROI, and zero risk upfront. I love that. Not to mention it's actually probably higher when you factor in all the free stuff (hosting for e.g.).

Reading this got me worried, so I checked it out, this year my ROI has been 5.6:1 on promoted gigs, and 6.98:1 for all time. Not as good as it once was, and definitely trending down, but I think I reject more people than I used to, and the CPC has increased quicker than my pricing.

If I need to pay 2:1 for promoted gigs, that means I'm paying 50%... plus 20%... so, 70% of my order value? Ahahah, that's ridiculous

Yep, 70% would be ridiculous for sure. Would you pay 50%? Because that's the google ads average from what I can tell.

I do not pay for traffic at all.

Why not if you don't mind me asking? I don't either (yet), but it's on my to-do list. Guess most of your clients are word of mouth referrals (like my non fiverr clients)?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, williambryan392 said:

Would you pay 50%? Because that's the google ads average from what I can tell.

No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't work for half my value in my pocket (and then taxes on top, so, like, not even 25% of the value in my pocket). 20% is honestly about the limit. This for services, of course, where I need to trade my active effort and time for money - which is what I do.

If I had a commodity, or product, where I can just sell it passively (a book, a course, etc.) then the situation is different. I'd put in 100 to get 110 back, it's free money. Totally different math. As long as it's beating average market returns, and I don't need to work for it, it's worth it.

5:1 is brilliant ROI for an investment (way too good, actually).

Working is not an investment, however. I do all the work, I should keep all the payment. I don't even need to put money upfront to work. I need someone who needs X done and is willing to pay for it, and I need to know how to do X, that's it.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't work for half my value in my pocket (and then taxes on top, so, like, not even 25% of the value in my pocket). 20% is honestly about the limit. This for services, of course, where I need to trade my active effort and time for money - which is what I do.

Maybe I'm looking at it differently, but what concerns me is my take-home amount, not the percentage fees along the way. I'd give up 99%, if someone pays me a $billion.

An extreme example I know!

9 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

If I had a commodity, or product, where I can just sell it passively (a book, a course, etc.) then the situation is different. I'd put in 100 to get 101 back, it's free money. Totally different math.

Create a video course? You have the knowledge to educate, and the skills to create it? Perhaps you have already!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, williambryan392 said:

Reading this got me worried, so I checked it out, this year my ROI has been 5.6:1 on promoted gigs, and 6.98:1 for all time. Not as good as it once was, and definitely trending down, but I think I reject more people than I used to, and the CPC has increased quicker than my pricing.

Mine has been 0:1. Zero serious leads, a ton of garbage and spam. I don't understand how others have such different results. They just don't work at all for me. Yet I still get organic orders, and they are good.

• Like 3

On 9/12/2024 at 7:37 AM, williambryan392 said:

Maybe I'm looking at it differently, but what concerns me is my take-home amount, not the percentage fees along the way. I'd give up 99%, if someone pays me a $billion.

An extreme example I know!

Correct if there's unlimited price elasticity. There is not. There is a limit to what people are willing to pay, and that's already less than I'd like. So no, doesn't work with ever increasing cuts getting taken.

On 9/12/2024 at 7:37 AM, williambryan392 said:

Create a video course? You have the knowledge to educate, and the skills to create it? Perhaps you have already!

I judge people harshly for doing just that, I can't do it, major impostor syndrome. I look at what's out there and think " what clowns, selling worthless bs". I couldn't do the same. Not for any moral reason, I just don't feel like I have anything new or better to say that isn't already out there, and I just can't fake it. Unfortunately, it's a very useful skill.

There should be way less courses, influencers, etc. out there. Only the top of the top should do it. The truly special ones. I don't agree with this "everyone can do it", I never will. I know it works, but I just can't. Having no shame is a super power that I don't possess.

• Like 3

On 9/12/2024 at 7:37 AM, visualstudios said:

Mine has been 0:1. Zero serious leads, a ton of garbage and spam. I don't understand how others have such different results. They just don't work at all for me. Yet I still get organic orders, and they are good.

Is that for all time, or have you seen a downward trend?

On 9/12/2024 at 7:38 AM, visualstudios said:

Correct if there's unlimited price elasticity. There is not. 

True!

There is a limit to what people are willing to pay, and that's already less than I'd like

I know the feeling!

I judge people harshly for doing just that, I can't do it, major impostor syndrome. I look at what's out there and think " what clowns, selling worthless bs". I couldn't do the same. Not for any moral reason, I just don't feel like I have anything new or better to say that isn't already out there, and I just can't fake it. Unfortunately, it's a very useful skill.

I feel exactly the same, and most have some degree of imposter syndrome, me included! But then I think of all the $$$ I'm leaving on the table, whilst these clowns are making a fortune and I kick myself. I'm still not doing it though.

I was working with a 19 year old a couple of years back, and when chatgpt came on the scene he created a prompt library ebook thing... $49, sold it 50,000+ times. It was an easy way for him to become a millionaire before he'd even legally purchased a beer. I wouldn't have done it because of imposter syndrome. He didn't feel the same and made millions that year. I did not make millions that year. 

I suppose it all comes down to why we work. If it's a love/passion then the revenue doesn't matter nearly so much! I'm greedy though, I want to make $$!

• Like 3

On 9/12/2024 at 7:48 AM, williambryan392 said:

I was working with a 19 year old a couple of years back, and when chatgpt came on the scene he created a prompt library ebook thing... $49, sold it 50,000+ times. It was an easy way for him to become a millionaire before he'd even legally purchased a beer. I wouldn't have done it because of imposter syndrome. He didn't feel the same and made millions that year. I did not make millions that year. 

I suppose it all comes down to why we work. If it's a love/passion then the revenue doesn't matter nearly so much! I'm greedy though, I want to make $$!

Of course, but I just don't understand how that works. It's not that simple, there's a lot of luck involved. I'm pretty sure there were thousands making those crappy ebooks, and 99% made nothing.

As I always say... I'm more than willing to sell my soul to the devil, but he ain't buying it.

On 9/12/2024 at 7:48 AM, williambryan392 said:

Is that for all time, or have you seen a downward trend?

All time I sold maybe 3 or 4 gigs through promoted.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

Having no shame is a super power that I don't possess.

It’s not shameful if you’re providing value.

7 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

It's not that simple, there's a lot of luck involved. I'm pretty sure there were thousands making those crappy ebooks, and 99% made nothing.

As I always say... I'm more than willing to sell my soul to the devil, but he ain't buying it.

There’s always luck with everything.

So you’re willing to sell your soul to the devil, but not make a course?

99% probably did make nothing, probably the same 99% that sells the worthless BS you mention above. His thing actually provided good value for $50. I just presume yours would too and wouldn’t be worthless because you have skills/experience unlike the 99%.

Anyway, we digress. I’m sorry promoted gigs don’t work for you. I guess it’s a perceived value / pricing-market mismatch issue (prize for stating the obvious goes to me I know!).

• Like 4

12 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

I've definitely had varied success/ROI with promoted gigs, but I don't believe it's ever been less than 1X.

I haven't used Google ads for a very long time because 90% of my business is from a consistent group of non Fiverr regulars who either have daily or weekly standing appointments. For the remaining 10% which is Fiverr, the promoted gigs ROI has been inconsistent. Right after they deployed it I was at least breaking even, or making some modest profit from it. For the last year, it has become a complete loss of revenue, which is why I stopped using it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, newsmike said:

90% of my business is from a consistent group of non Fiverr regulars who either have daily or weekly standing appointments.

That's awesome, strong ARR is what it's all about.

9 hours ago, newsmike said:

For the last year, it has become a complete loss of revenue, which is why I stopped using it. 

This is far less awesome! I'd love to see some Fiverr stats re promoted gigs by category.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2024 at 4:57 AM, filipdevaere said:

FYI: I have been finding some of my gigs on Google for a long time. This is not something that has just surfaced. This has been going on for years.

I keep repeating it: Fiverr is a company that only wants to make a profit. That is why they do things like this. Fiverr is not a charity. They want to generate income. I do not blame them. If I were in their position I would do the same.

For me, since this year I have been getting more buyers from the United Kingdom than in other years. I do not use promoted gigs, but I suspect that I am showing up in the search results in the UK more than usual. RTO is enabled for me so that is why I see more interest coming from the UK.

Remember that Fiverr also recommends using social media. No reputable seller is going to recommend this because it very rarely yields a result. The only thing it does is that “curious” people might click on your gigs. And that is what Fiverr wants. Clicks on the “promoted” gigs. Fiverr knows that most people who discover Fiverr through social media will most likely never buy anything. They just want the clicks.

what is RTO and how do you get it?

• Like 2

On 9/12/2024 at 8:02 PM, newsmike said:

I haven't used Google ads for a very long time because 90% of my business is from a consistent group of non Fiverr regulars who either have daily or weekly standing appointments. For the remaining 10% which is Fiverr, the promoted gigs ROI has been inconsistent. Right after they deployed it I was at least breaking even, or making some modest profit from it. For the last year, it has become a complete loss of revenue, which is why I stopped using it. 

what do you mean for non-fiverr? there is something better?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pdbstudios said:

what do you mean for non-fiverr? there is something better?

Yes, but it is not another freelancing site. It is having clients that you've developed through traditional means like networking in your field, of advertising with google ads that drive traffic to your own website.  This eliminates having a partner who dictates what you can sell, controls your exposure and takes a commission. But I use Fiverr as a side hustle for extra money on the side. Using any third party site as your primary sales driver is unwise, as is having all your eggs in one basket. 

• Like 3
  • Up 1
  • Support 1
  • Insightful 1