A Fiverr Guide for one of the most asked questions: How to get that first order!

A popular question asked by many new members on Fiverr is: "How do I get my first client?". Of course, you can add a few gigs and hope for the best, but that does not maximize your chances of getting your first client and often results in you losing interest in the platform (or even frustration because it's not working).

Well, you might know that you are the best of the best, but your future client needs to know that as well! How can you let them know? By optimizing everything you can with many hours of research. You can do a few things to improve your general profile and increase the chance of receiving your first order.

Let's divide it into the following sections:

- Freelancer Profile
- GIG optimization
- Customer Contact/Inbox
- Analyse & Adjust

Freelancer Profile:
Make sure to utilize every feature available. This doesn't just mean your profile picture and description, but everything! Upload your portfolio, add your languages (and be honest about them), take Fiverr tests, add your skills (not too many, just those that complement your offerings), and include your education and any certifications if possible.

Focus on providing the client with as much relevant information about you as possible. Remember, only add valuable information that the client can use and would want to know before contacting you!

GIG optimization:
Make sure you have GIG offerings that you are good at and can deliver exceptional results in. You really want to focus on getting those 5-star reviews as soon as possible. This will help build your profile and gigs. Don’t pick stuff you're new at. Let’s look at this example:

You have 2 years of experience in video editing. You are passionate about this and have done many projects (personal or professional) related to video editing. You can offer quality videos to clients. You also started learning to create photoshopped thumbnails, maybe a month ago.

Now, on Fiverr, which would be your first gig offer? 

You have the most experience in video editing! So, of course, this niche will be your first offering on the platform! Does that mean you should have only one gig? NO! You can break video editing up into multiple gig offers.

Here are 5 examples of offers RELATED to video editing:

1. Gaming video editing service
  2. Twitch highlight editing
  3. corporate video editing
  4. Instagram reel video editing
  5. Make engaging TikTok edits

Now you have 5 video editing-related gig offers, but broken down into different niches. This increases your chance of getting a first client. By spreading your reach, you ensure visibility on multiple search results.

About search results: The way a client finds you is by using the search bar or selecting a niche in the menu. What can we learn from that? We need to optimize our keywords, general SEO, and ensure to place your gig in the right niche. Fiverr analyzes your gig title to find the best-fitting niche. Is this not the niche you want? Try renaming your gig title.

(EXTRA TIP: Look at other gig titles in this niche. Don’t copy the exact words, but try to give it your own spin. Make it appealing, easy to read, and easy to understand.) 

Keywords: Keywords are... key? YES! By optimizing your keywords, you ensure maximum reach and maximum impressions in search results. When having multiple gigs, try to match the keywords based on these sub-niches. Try to stay away from general keywords. At the end of other freelance gigs in the niches, you can see the keywords they use. Use this information to optimize your own gig!

Here are examples of keywords based on the video editing niches:

1. Gaming video editing service: (Gaming, YouTube gaming, gaming video, video editor, funny gaming video)
  2. Twitch highlight editing: (Twitch edit, Twitch video, highlights video editing, Twitch highlights, streaming video editing)
  3. Corporate video editing: (Corporate video, corporate video editing, company video, company introduction video, professional corporate video)
  4. Instagram reel video editing: (Social media video, Instagram reel video, social media video editing, reel editing, Instagram reels)
  5. Engaging TikTok edits: (TikTok edits, TikTok video editing, social media video editing, TikTok highlight video, TikTok editor)

BONUS TIP: Double-check your keywords for spelling mistakes. This happens a lot, for example, "TikTok highligt video."

Now let's first talk about your gig description.

IMPORTANT : DONT LET CHATGPT WRITE YOUR DESCRIPTION. EVERYONE CAN TELL IT WHEN YOU DO! 

You can ask if ChatGPT can do a double check on spelling, etc., but don’t copy-paste the text and call it a day. Invest time in your description, and make clear what might be unclear for the buyer. Make sure you use the keywords in your description and highlight important information. After making your gig offers, come back to the description and edit the information if needed.

Use proper grammar and punctuation. Write it as a draft in another document first if that makes it easier for you. Remember: It's normal to invest up to 3 hours to fully optimize your gig description.

Now, your actual offer.

You can decide what you want/what you think will work best.

• One offer, that’s it!
  • Multiple offers, optimized gig extras

Let’s go over both and talk about positives and negatives

One offer, that’s it!
This one is great to ensure a fast order but might scare clients away when they are forced to have options that they are not looking for.
See this example:

Buyer wants a 30-second video edit with unlimited revisions and an MP4 delivery in reel format. 

Your gig offer:

30 seconds reel edit
Unlimited revisions
MP4 delivery
Source file
Price: $75

A buyer might see this and notice the price with a source file, even though they don’t want it. This forced option might result in the buyer looking past your gig and choosing another one.

Multiple offers, optimized gig extras:
When offering gig extras, customers can base their order on their needs. You can have up to 3 (CUSTOM) gig extras.

See the following example:
Source file ($10)
Proofread your texts ($10)
Extra fast delivery ($30)

disclaimer: prices are random as an example, please don’t price too low, know your worth!

A negative with this method is that it potentially scares buyers by having to make so many choices or maybe that it takes too long for the client. But then again, would you want to work with those kinds of clients?

Also important in your offer: Price what you’re worth! Don’t offer a service that takes a minimum of 2 hours for just $5. I get the idea—low price means faster clients. But it can also mean bad clients, demanding clients, negative review clients, etc.

A good client knows your worth and the effort you will take for a project. When a potential client does not understand that, move on!
Also, a $5 gig is a big red flag to me (and to many buyers). Price competitively and fairly, based on others in the niche as well. Try to find a middle ground!
Let’s move on to the next section, shall we?

Customer Contact/Inbox
I can already hear you... what? Customer contact and my inbox? Can I change the colors or something, or can I look for customers in my inbox?
No, and NO!

What I mean is optimizing a few things. Ensure (if you want) that you have the Fiverr app installed on your phone. This way, when a client contacts you, you are not depending on your computer to see it, but you will be able to talk to them faster, increasing the chance of landing the deal and preventing the buyer from going elsewhere.
Of course, you are not online 24/7... and if you are... might I suggest you touch some grass...

So how can I ensure my client knows I am alive, well, and ready to respond soon? AUTOMATIC MESSAGE.

Let’s see mine: 
Hello Buyer! Thank you for reaching out. I strive to respond promptly, but it might take a few hours depending on the time you message me.
I am available for work and would be happy to assist you! Please hold tight while I respond. In the meantime, make sure you have sent everything I might need to provide a proper offer or advice. Thank you in advance!

Here are the keywords in this message:

• A friendly thank you for reaching out.
  • Implying the importance of responding soon.
  • Kindly remind that it might take some time, (I’m sleeping, or am with family & friends.)
  • Letting them know I am available for work and happy to assist.
  • Tell them to wait for me.
  • Extra note for yourself: remind the buyer to double check if they have send everything I might need.
  • Tell them this information can help us in continuing faster.
  • Always thank them in the end.

You can change this message up if you are on vacation, something like

Hello Buyer!
Thank you for reaching out. I would love to help you with this project. Unfortunately, I am currently on vacation until [last vacation day] and will not be able to work on my computer until then.
If your project doesn't have an immediate deadline, or if your deadline is after I return, please feel free to message me when I’m back. I would be glad to discuss your project further at that time. If not, I'm sure someone on this platform will be able to help you out!
Thank you very much for your understanding.
Best regards,
[Your Name]

In addition to automatic replies, you can also develop a few quick responses. Customize these based on questions you get a lot. I personally use these when I’m on my way or between appointments. Because when you are busy, you are more likely to make grammar or spelling mistakes, which is a big turnoff for clients.

Analyze & Adjust:
Here we are at the final part… finally… 

This is one many sellers forget or don’t even think about. ANALYZE THE *** OUT OF YOUR ANALYTICS.

These are the metrics everyone can use:

1. Impressions
  2. Clicks
  3. Orders

What can we do with this information? Improve our gigs, of course! Here is my workbook for these metrics:

Impressions: Low impressions mean not many people see your gig. This is important because if buyers can’t find you, they will... surprise... not buy! When the impressions are low, I improve my:

• Gig title
  • Niche placement (category)
  • Keywords
  • GIG metadata

Play with this until you see improvements!

Clicks: With impressions come clicks. What is a click? That’s an impression (someone seeing your gig offer in the search results) and clicks on it. This is already a big step for you as a seller. It means your offer is attractive for buyers to click on it. But what does it mean if you only get like 2 a month while having 2K impressions?
It means one thing: Your gig does not convince buyers to CLICK on it. You can improve the following things:

• An understandable title
  • An eye-catching (but informative) thumbnail related to your offer
  • Examples in the next 2 photos
  • Video if you can!
  • High-quality uploads and the advised image guidelines of Fiverr (1280x769)

Orders: The thing you are looking for.

You get the impressions, you get the clicks... but no one orders? It’s time to improve either your offer or description. Here are some things to look out for:

• Check your description for redundant text, spelling mistakes, or inconsistencies.
  • Check punctuation, grammar, and readability.
  • Ensure that your text is informative.
  • Don’t use half the description to tell who you are and what you do; we can already see that in your profile. Use the space for more information about what you offer and convince the buyer that they should order from you.
  • Check the quality of your uploads on any device or selection option (for example, mobile or full-screen view).
  • Check your gig offer: is your price fair, are you mentioning the things they receive, and are your packages different enough from each other to be worth more?
  • Ensure your FAQ can help buyers with their questions; maybe add more or adjust the ones you have.

With these tips, you will get far in landing a first client. But remember, this takes a lot of time! Never give up on getting a client, always try to learn more, and use the time you have while waiting for your order.
There is no cheat way to becoming the best on Fiverr. Just hard work and many hours of investment.

Good luck with getting your first order! 🙂

• Like 134
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 16
  • Thanks 15
  • Insightful 7

Very well articulated and structured. 🤌

I hope newbies actually spend 15 minutes to read it properly, take notes and implement their learnings!!

(99% of them just like the posts for forum ranks and then start topics about same things you have explained so well)

@Kesha - If you deem fit, request you to pin/feature this post on the forum to amplify its reach. 

Edited by priyank_mod
  • Like 92
  • Up 6
  • Support 1

• Kesha pinned and featured this topic

Thanks for this incredible contribution. I know it will be valuable for many newbie sellers!

It has been pin/featured per the community's request. 💚

• Like 72
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, thejamuhh said:

Freelancer Profile:
Make sure to utilize every feature available. This doesn't just mean your profile picture and description, but everything! Upload your portfolio, add your languages (and be honest about them), take Fiverr tests, add your skills (not too many, just those that complement your offerings), and include your education and any certifications if possible.

Focus on providing the client with as much relevant information about you as possible. Remember, only add valuable information that the client can use

Since buyers can no longer see the skill tests or test results of tests that sellers have taken, there's less need now to take tests. Though some subcategories require a passed test I think.

2 hours ago, thejamuhh said:

Now, on Fiverr, which would be your first gig offer? .

Here are 5 examples of offers RELATED to video editing:...

..Now you have 5 video editing-related gig offers, but broken down into different niches. This increases your chance of getting a first client.

Though in the new level system new sellers (level 0) can only have 4 active gigs, not 5.

• Like 52
  • Up 1

10 hours ago, uk1000 said:

Since buyers can no longer see the skill tests or test results of tests that sellers have taken, there's less need now to take tests. Though some subcategories require a passed test I think.

Correct. I believe "WordPress" was one of them.

The "skill section" in general needs a long overdue update anyway. I remember you once pointed out how it adds "expert" to the end of a skill even when you select "intermediate".

• Like 41

On 7/29/2024 at 4:01 PM, uk1000 said:

Though in the new level system new sellers (level 0) can only have 4 active gigs, not 5.

Hi @uk1000, I wondered about the gig numbers, as I could only add 4 as a newbie. Where can I find more info on how many gigs we can add as we move up the ranking/levels?

Thanks 🙂

Jina

• Like 32

18 minutes ago, jinajaydigital said:

Where can I find more info on how many gigs we can add as we move up the ranking/levels?

In this link:

https://www.fiverr.com/cp/freelancer-levels

Click on the "benefits" option on each level to open that section up and it will show the number of gigs you can have at that level.

eg. new sellers can have 4 now, level 1 can have 10, level 2 can have 10 🙄 (yes, no higher amount than level 1. Level 2 used to allow 20). Top rated sellers can have 30.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 32

12 hours ago, jehaduiux said:

Eye catching images

Yes, and 

12 hours ago, jehaduiux said:

low gig prices

No to that. As mentioned already, don't lower your value in the hopes on getting a order. Low prices also attract low clients.

I have been able to get buyers without pricing low, because:

1. I know my worth

2. I spend a significant amount of time in a project

3. I don't work with clients who want the lowest price possible.

For me, advising low prices is one of the worst advice you can give someone. Why do you think all these 5 dollar gig offers have 0 orders and are at the lowest pages in search results?

• Like 22
  • Support 2

On 8/11/2024 at 2:51 PM, thejamuhh said:

Yes, and 

No to that. As mentioned already, don't lower your value in the hopes on getting a order. Low prices also attract low clients.

I have been able to get buyers without pricing low, because:

1. I know my worth

2. I spend a significant amount of time in a project

3. I don't work with clients who want the lowest price possible.

For me, advising low prices is one of the worst advice you can give someone. Why do you think all these 5 dollar gig offers have 0 orders and are at the lowest pages in search results?

So very very true! Most of the time, clients with a low budget will keep asking you unnecessary questions and will try to negotiate a lower price, without understanding the amount of work and effort that will be put in to deliver the final project.  Lowering the price is not at all a wise thing to do.

• Like 16

32 minutes ago, delatorreai said:

Your advice on optimizing gigs, using keywords effectively, and making the most out of our profiles is really spot-on and incredibly helpful.

Thanks 🙂

32 minutes ago, delatorreai said:

Interpreting Analytics: You mentioned the importance of analyzing impressions, clicks, and orders. Are there specific benchmarks you use to determine if a gig is performing well? What kind of thresholds should I be aware of to know if my gig needs adjustments?

Here’s how I approach it. Let’s use logo design as an example since it’s a popular gig.

Logo design is in high demand. You can tell by the number of customization options in the search menu, like Minimalistic, Hand-drawn, 3D, and Cartoon. There are also over 160,000 results, which shows that a lot of people offer this service because many buyers are looking for it.

To check demand, you can also look at the first three pages of search results and see how many orders are in the queue for other freelancers. Here are some numbers I found:

• 433 orders in queue
  • 151 orders in queue
  • 709 orders in queue
  • 39 orders in queue
  • 56 orders in queue
  • 26 orders in queue

These numbers clearly show high demand. (Imagine having that many orders waiting for you!)

Why does demand matter? It helps you know what to expect in terms of impressions. A gig for logo design should get more impressions than one for podcast cover designs (no offense to podcast cover designers 😉).

It all depends on your gig and where it shows up in search results. That’s why it’s hard to give general advice. As a starting point, aim for a 80-18-2 ratio when you have 0 orders yet, but it’s something you learn as you go with your own gig.

1 hour ago, delatorreai said:

Balancing Keywords: I’m curious about your approach to keyword strategy, particularly in competitive niches. How do you balance between using specific versus general keywords, and do you have any tips for identifying the most effective ones?

This depends on your gig. I find that using one general keyword along with specific ones works best. I do this for most of my gigs, and it’s been successful (at least for me). A tip would be to see what other sellers use as keywords on the first 2 pages in the search results and play with those to see what works best. Also, don't expect immediate changes the next day. For a good reference, wait 7 days to analyze the changes you made.

1 hour ago, delatorreai said:

Gig Diversification: Since I'm currently at the limit for the number of gigs I can have, do you think it’s better to refine my existing gigs to focus on more specific sub-niches, or should I adjust my titles and descriptions to cover slightly different angles within the same niche?

I suggest focusing on your existing gigs. Sometimes, it helps to delete a gig and start over. New ideas often come up when you start from scratch.

The main goal of your gig is to answer potential buyers' questions. Buyers want to feel secure, involved, and valued. They need clear and easy answers to their questions. Focus more on "What questions could a buyer have, and when?" instead of "How can I optimize this or that?" Remember, it’s the buyer, not the algorithm, who makes the purchase.

Also, keep in mind that for your first order, you need to find a buyer willing to take a chance on a new account. Not every "click" will be from that kind of buyer. Also, some clicks might be from other sellers checking out your account to improve their own. 😉

• Like 16
  • Support 1

On 7/29/2024 at 6:44 PM, thejamuhh said:

You have the most experience in video editing! So, of course, this niche will be your first offering on the platform! Does that mean you should have only one gig? NO! You can break video editing up into multiple gig offers.

Here are 5 examples of offers RELATED to video editing:

1. Gaming video editing service
  2. Twitch highlight editing
  3. corporate video editing
  4. Instagram reel video editing
  5. Make engaging TikTok edits

Now you have 5 video editing-related gig offers, but broken down into different niches. This increases your chance of getting a first client. By spreading your reach, you ensure visibility on multiple search results.

I can set up and build chatbots for Facebook Messenger, Instagram, and WhatsApp. We know there are three types of chatbots (1) Rule-based chatbots (2) AI chatbots (3) Hybrid chatbots. I can build three types of chatbots. Should I post three gigs on this topic or should I post one gig including all services?

• Like 17

Optimizing your gigs is one sure way; a blend of primary and secondary keywords.

Once you have that first one, it's important to provide high quality delivery from the start. That makes fiverr keep you on the up because there's a deluge of freelancers on fiverr these days

• Like 15

Thank you for all the tips! It’s so important to complete every step properly.
My first experience with Fiverr was disappointing, but only because I was "too busy" to go through every step of the setup carefully and just tried to finish as fast as I could. (I think this is a common mistake among beginners.) But now, I’ve started checking everything carefully and paying attention to important details like descriptions and price research, and I’m already seeing results.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, yellowikova said:

My first experience with Fiverr was disappointing, but only because I was "too busy" to go through every step of the setup carefully

That's exactly what happend with me too 🙂

Here we are, back stronger than ever haha!

• Like 10