Scammer 1st try

jaimijamez

Hey, new to fiver. My first try at a digital manager in a specialty market was a scammer. Currently trying to get a refund or transfer through support since it’s got 10/12 days left I didn’t think it would be an issue since it is self reported in the chat transcript. But I wanted to ask others on this platform, is this the majority? I’m having trouble finding legitimate services now that I’m paying attention. Is this not regulated at all? 

• Like 10

I've interacted with about 200 sellers over three years. Probably about 5% I would flag as potentially legitimate scammers. There's a much larger section who fail to deliver because they simply over-estimate their skill and ability, or under-estimate the task. From what I understand, the seller pool is poorly or loosely regulated. It's very wild west-seeming.  

One trick I use, which I've seen others mention using, is throwing a small simple task out to a lot of different sellers and then continuing with whoever does the best from among that group. So you "waste" a bit of money checking people out, but you can likely find a worthwhile seller that you recoup some savings with so you can stay within your overall budget.

• Like 11
  • Up 5

Every service industry attracts scammers and it can be difficult to tell them from the legitimate sellers, which Fiverr is largely comprised of. If you're new, I'd stick with sellers who have a large number of five star reviews and who have been working on the platform for a decent length of time. This information can be found on their profile and is worth studying before placing an order.

And - as always - if a seller looks too good to be true, avoid them. Or at the very least, ask them a lot of probing questions before parting with your money.

• Like 9

• Lena changed the title to Scammer 1st try

I think everyone here has explained clearly that there will be scammers in various fields and it's important to be a mindful buyer before you place order. This is not mandatory but It's best to reach out and communicate first with the seller before placing order as a precaution. I am pretty sure you'll be able to spot a pattern in the conversation if the seller is not genuine.

• Like 7

On 1/17/2024 at 8:27 AM, jaimijamez said:

Hey, new to fiver. My first try at a digital manager in a specialty market was a scammer. Currently trying to get a refund or transfer through support since it’s got 10/12 days left I didn’t think it would be an issue since it is self reported in the chat transcript. But I wanted to ask others on this platform, is this the majority? I’m having trouble finding legitimate services now that I’m paying attention. Is this not regulated at all? 

1. You have risked by hiring a new seller (having 1-3 reviews ?)

2. If work delivered incomplete, request refund from customer support, regardless of how much days been went

3. for finding legitimate services:

- respect seller's seniority:

On 1/17/2024 at 12:17 PM, shaunbaines said:

I'd stick with sellers who have a large number of five star reviews and who have been working on the platform for a decent length of time. This information can be found on their profile and is worth studying before placing an order.

- and sandbox with small basis:

On 1/17/2024 at 9:08 AM, moikchap said:

throw a small simple task out to a lot of different sellers and then continuing with whoever does the best from among that group. So you "waste" a bit of money checking people out, but you can likely find a worthwhile seller that you recoup some savings with so you can stay within your overall budget.

• Like 5