How’s my cancellation rate?

charlsmcfarlane

Question

Fiverr mainly measures cancellation rate over 60 days but, with the upcoming cancelled order reviews coming up, I’m curious where my overall cancellation rate sits and whether people think it’s good or not.

Obviously my aim would be to have zero cancellations for all time, but I think that’s a big ask.

Across nearly 600 orders since I started on Fiverr, the percentage of those orders that have been cancelled is 4.4%

I’m actually quite pleased with this, especially as a portion of these were cancelled as part of Fiverr’s suggested process for offering a partial refund.

But…what does everyone think and how does this compare to other people’s cancellation rate?

Edited by charlsmcfarlane
Correction
  • Like 9

5 answers to this question

Well I guess it also depends your sales price, when you joined the platform, etc. I joined at a time when mutual cancellations were not affecting sellers, and at that time there were a lot more cancellations. I would assume that the higher the price, the lower a seller's cancellation rate will be. Because at that point a buyer contacts the seller beforehand and they know if they are able to complete that project or not.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Well I guess it also depends your sales price, when you joined the platform, etc. I joined at a time when mutual cancellations were not affecting sellers, and at that time there were a lot more cancellations. I would assume that the higher the price, the lower a seller's cancellation rate will be. Because at that point a buyer contacts the seller beforehand and they know if they are able to complete that project or not.

That’s a fair point. I joined in 2020, so I don’t think the way cancellations affect metrics has changed. I was basing it on number of orders rather than a dollar amount.

I’d say I’m on the higher end, when it comes to pricing.

Edited by charlsmcfarlane
  • Like 7

I used to think the same.

8 minutes ago, charlsmcfarlane said:

That’s a fair point. I joined in 2020, so I don’t think the way cancellations affect metrics has changed. I was basing it on number of orders rather than a dollar amount.

I used to think the same.

• Like 7

I think the cancelation rate only tells part of the story.

At 2%, most of my cancelations were due to providing discounts to repeat buyers who bought through my gig again by accident instead of requesting the repeat buyer discount via custom offer. I was doing this even before these types of cancelations stopped affecting our OCR. Doing this lead to more orders for me and happier customers. And for me, writing 10 resumes for 1 client is so much easier than writing 10 resumes for 10 different clients.

Also, when my account was hacked/shut down, all of my orders in queue were immediately canceled. So that brought my 2% cancelation rate to 6%. It would have been higher if I had more orders in queue, but I was lucky that it was a slower time.

I'm expecting less cancelations in the future since I'm now using the Request to Order and Partial Refund features.

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 7
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, charlsmcfarlane said:

I joined in 2020, so I don’t think the way cancellations affect metrics has changed.

Yeah, I've been here since January 2014, a lot of things changed by the time you joined the platform.

12 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Also, when my account was hacked/shut down, all of my orders in queue were immediately canceled. So that brought my 2% cancelation rate to 6%. It would have been higher if I had more orders in queue, but I was lucky that it was a slower time.

I also had a similar issue, not a hack, but I ended up with 70 cancellations, both inactive and current orders. That was bad.... but it passed, and Fiverr had my back and I didn't lose my level because it was a mistake on their side. 

• Like 9