"First-time buyers" VS. "First-time customers"

stevebatesvo

Question

Having studied law, when you encounter two phases that, to ordinary people, sound the same, there is always a difference.

For example, I have seen some confusion over the term "First-time buyer". Sellers are assuming that it means a first-time buyer of your gig. This is false.

Fiverr uses two distinct terms: "First-time buyer" and "First-time customer".

"First-time buyer" is someone who has never before made a purchase on Fiverr.

A "First-time customer" is someone who has never before made a purchase with you !!!

I hope this resolves any confusion.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, stevebatesvo said:

I hope this resolves any confusion.

It would be helpful if Fiverr followed their own terminology.

For example, a First-Time Buyer should be this:

image.thumb.png.ad2b17fcdf9911bf904c32d7880cb8bd.png

BUT Fiverr also launched the First-Time Buyer Promotions (which should be called First-Time Customer promotions, since these buyers aren't new to the platform, they are only new to the seller):

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/13736487784721-First-time-buyers-promotions?segment=seller

When I visit a seller's gig page, I sometimes see the First-Time Buyer Promotion popup (even though I have purchased over 111 gigs on Fiverr). So Fiverr is clearly not using the right terminology there.

image.thumb.png.296d4d40bf3b365a2fc9d9e580f9c17e.png

@stevebatesvo - can you share with me where Fiverr is using the "First-Time Customer" lingo? I'd like to see other instances where these terms are being used interchangeably.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vickieito said:

can you share with me where Fiverr is using the "First-Time Customer" lingo?

Sure. For those who are "Seller Plus" members, you have the option of limiting who can buy your gig via the "Request To Order" button. Perhaps you have seen it in use?

In the "Advanced Settings" for this option, you will see two additional options: "Select which customers will need to request to order."

"First-time customers" or "All customers"

In short, the word "customers" refers to YOUR customers. The word "buyers" refers to Fiverr's buyers !!!

First-time customers.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Looks like Fiverr needs to change their First-Time Buyer promotions to First-Time Customer promotions! If it's the same Seller Plus features that are using this terminology interchangeably, it's no wonder why sellers are confused between the terms!

They should probably revise where they start introducing other terms, such as "new buyers" and "past buyers."

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, vickieito said:

Looks like Fiverr needs to change their First-Time Buyer promotions to First-Time Customer promotions!

You are mistaken. Though a "First-time buyer" and "First-time customer" can be the same person - it can only happen ONCE.

A Fiverr "First-time buyer" can only ever be a "First-time buyer" ONE TIME.

But the same Fiverr buyer can be a "First-time customer" of multiple sellers !!!

I do hope that this is not putting too much pressure on your brain.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The easiest way to explain the difference is to picture FIVERR as a Shopping Mall that you are entering for the very first time.

You browse through the stores that interest you, and you decide to make a purchase in one store.

At that point, you are BOTH a "First-time buyer" at the shopping mall, and "First-time customer" of that individual store.

When you go back to the shopping mall again, you can no-longer say that you are a "First-time buyer" at the shopping mall.

But you can go into a different store in the shopping mall, and make a first purchase in that different store. This means that you are a "First-time customer" of that individual store.

It hurts my head having to explain such a simple concept.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think we are talking about the same thing.

On Fiverr's Help Desk page for the "First-Time Buyers Promotion, it says that this promotion is for "new buyers" aka "first-time buyers" aka "first-time customers" for that seller.

This would be okay if the promotion was shown only to First-Time Buyers, but it's being shown to buyers like me who have already bought gigs - we are being shown the First-Time Buyer promotion. I already bought 111 gigs as a buyer, so I shouldn't be shown the First-Time Buyer promotion (but I am because Fiverr is using this terminology wrong ... it should be called "First-Time Customer Promotion").

Fiverr is trying to make it clear on their First-Time Buyer Promotion Help Desk page that this promotion is for buyers who are new-to-the-seller buyers. So, based on Fiverr's terminology, they should have called this promotion "First-Time Customer Promotions."

That's why I think Fiverr should change the name of the promotion to "First-Time Customer Promotions."

Yes, some buyers will be both First-Time Buyers AND First-Time Customers ...

BUT there will be a lot of First-Time Customers to the seller who are experienced buyers on the platform as well.

I think the change in title will be more representative of what the promotion actually is - First-Time Customers for the seller.

Note: I have had 4 order so far through the First-Time Buyer promotions and when I viewed these buyers from the Buyer Insights I can see that these "First-Time Buyers" actually have 500+ orders completed already. So they are clearly First-Time Customers, not First-Time Buyers.

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, vickieito said:

This would be okay if the promotion was shown only to First-Time Buyers, but it's being shown to buyers like me who have already bought gigs - we are being shown the First-Time Buyer promotion. I already bought 111 gigs as a buyer, so I shouldn't be shown the First-Time Buyer promotion (but I am because Fiverr is using this terminology wrong ... it should be called "First-Time Customer Promotion").

Then your issue is with legal@fiver.com - go bother them !!!

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

HI there

Slightly off topic but I am a brand new seller with just one gig available. I got an enquiry yesterday for a big job. How do I know that the buyer is verified (will actually pay). I cant find anything on their profile to click that shows me as much. Thanks. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marisemishan said:

will actually pay

All payment is made to Fiverr at the start of the order and held by Fiverr until the order is marked "complete". You do not have to worry that you will not get paid, as long as you provide EXACTLY what you promised in your gig description.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@stevebatesvo - 

Normally when someone posts in the "Fiverr Questions" category, they are looking for answers from the community. I provided a response on why there may be issues with sellers understanding the simple differences between the two terms we were discussing (i.e., Fiverr is using the terms interchangeably).

Sorry if I misunderstood your intent. I thought you wanted a discussion but it looks like that wasn't what you wanted to hear:

41 minutes ago, stevebatesvo said:

I do hope that this is not putting too much pressure on your brain.

27 minutes ago, stevebatesvo said:

It hurts my head having to explain such a simple concept.

10 minutes ago, stevebatesvo said:

Then your issue is with legal@fiver.com - go bother them !!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stevebatesvo said:

All payment is made to Fiverr at the start of the order and held by Fiverr until the order is marked "complete". You do not have to worry that you will not get paid, as long as you provide EXACTLY what you promised in your gig description.

Fantastic thank you. Where do I find more details on the payment process?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, vickieito said:

On Fiverr's Help Desk page for the "First-Time Buyers Promotion, it says that this promotion is for "new buyers" aka "first-time buyers" aka "first-time customers" for that seller.

There literally is no "aka". That is merely your non-legal assumption.

The correct legal assumption is as I said, the word "buyer" refers to FIVERR'S buyer. As a Fiverr Seller, the word "customer" refers to YOUR customer.

Any other questions or complaints should be addressed to legal@fiverr.com

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On a side note:

Unless you understand the LEGAL terminology being used, your requests to Customer Support will go into the trash bin.

If you complain to Customer Support about one of Fiverr's "BUYERS" - you will get nowhere !!! If you complain to Customer Support about one of YOUR "CUSTOMERS" - you might actually get somewhere - because there is, in fact, a legal difference !!!

By its very name, "Customer Support" is there to support "Customers" - our customers. But we Sellers keep calling them "BUYERS" !!!

Headslap -- DUHH !!!

Edited by stevebatesvo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

One last item regarding "Customer Support". If you, as a Seller, are a member of the "Seller Plus" program - you are in fact a "customer", as you are paying Fiverr for a Service. Don't be afraid to act as both a "Customer" and a "Seller" in the same email. Just be sure to understand the roles.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1