Seller claiming book covers, but all six to ten years old. Is this a scam?

richardl2

Question

Hello, everyone, I hate to sound a sour note, but when I checked on a seller's very nice looking book covers used in the seller's portfolio, I found the books (eight or nine of them,) were all six to ten years old. Could there be a legitimate reason for this, such as remakes, or is the seller fraudulently claiming them?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

18 answers to this question

If you can't find the books, how do you know they are 6-10 years old?

It's possible the person made mock book covers for books that don't actually exist as portfolio samples. They may have sold pre-made covers in the past but are shifting sales to Fiverr. I'm just throwing out possibilities.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, melanielm said:

If you can't find the books, how do you know they are 6-10 years old?

It's possible the person made mock book covers for books that don't actually exist as portfolio samples. They may have sold pre-made covers in the past but are shifting sales to Fiverr. I'm just throwing out possibilities.

Thanks, Melanielm. Most of the books in the portfolio are six to ten years old, as I stated in the original post. The books I can't find at all have their covers on display with a review from the buyer. In a google search, I have found a few of the books in the reviews, but the covers are very poor compared to the books in the portfolio

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Finding same art image on multiple sites. Who owns it?

I know there is some leeway with using images if they're changed somewhat, but I have found one image on a fiverr profile that can also be found on dozens of other art sites. The original is evidently from a movie still. Would I have to worry about a copywrite/ownership problem if I use this image on a book cover? Also, how do I judge the freelancer's skills/talent if the freelancer is not the original artist?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, richardl2 said:

I know there is some leeway with using images if they're changed somewhat, but I have found one image on a fiverr profile that can also be found on dozens of other art sites. The original is evidently from a movie still. Would I have to worry about a copywrite/ownership problem if I use this image on a book cover? Also, how do I judge the freelancer's skills/talent if the freelancer is not the original artist?

If it is from a movie still and a Fiverr seller is trying to sell it to you, it is 100% stolen, and you will be vulnerable if the actual owner detects such usage. These people who steal from others to resell can get you work taken down, or even sued. Block that seller and look for TRS/PRO sellers with a history of good feedback.

• Like 9
  • Up 2

23 minutes ago, newsmike said:

If it is from a movie still and a Fiverr seller is trying to sell it to you, it is 100% stolen, and you will be vulnerable if the actual owner detects such usage. These people who steal from others to resell can get you work taken down, or even sued. Block that seller and look for TRS/PRO sellers with a history of good feedback.

Thanks, Mike. I found one site where it referenced the actress and movie. I'll see if I can find that again, and put up a link.

• Like 7

Here is the link (I hope.) I should say that this movie still is unmistakably the image on which the various other interpretations were based, but they have all been altered slightly in shading or coloration. I also put a link to one of many interpretations of that movie still. I hope the links work. No way to test them before replying.

https://kinolorber.com/product/the-well-diggers-daughter-dvd#gallery-tray-6

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lRK3La

Edited by richardl2
  • Like 6

I don't know what happened, but the thread I started this morning just got added to the bottom of a thread I started two weeks ago. I don't know if any of the previous commenters will find it, but anyway, thanks. I did post links to the movie still original, and to one of the modified redos. Thanks for you responses.

• Like 7