How do I know which gig a buyer's message is related to?

rank_copywriter

Been a buyer on Fiverr so I decided to put my toe in the seller's market. OH boy, am I struggling. As an older gent, my eyesight is not that good so I struggle with reading some instructions. Hopefully I can word this so you understand.

I have 3 gigs. I get a message from a buyer. The buyer's message is very general, nor does he say in his message which gig he is interested in.  So if the buyer doesn't give you a clue which gig he is interested in, how does a seller know which gig a buyer's message is related to.

Thanks

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Generally most messages describe to some point what they want. I don't recall someone asking for a quote without doing so. But I assume you cold always say, "Hi, tell me what you are looking for and I'll be happy to advise."

• Like 11
  • Congrats! 2

ok..at least I know I'm not going crazy. I thought each gig had their own message setup so when you got a message from gig 1, it says message from gig 1 or if you got a message from gig 2 it said message from gig 2. and so on.

So if I understand there is only one message setup for ALL your gigs - is that right?

I did send him a followup asking for clarification but no reply.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, rank_copywriter said:

I thought each gig had their own message setup

If the buyer is coming from the gig page, you'll see which gig their message is related to. Otherwise, you won't know. Here's an example of when they come from the gig page:

image.png.be909addda3f43331193911601750557.png

(This message was marked as spam)

• Like 8
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forums.

I glanced at your profile. Be VERY careful with offering AI art. Unless you are training it on your own artwork there can be copyright issues. (Actually, there might still be copyright issues, as the whole realm of generated content is facing major proprietary questioning.)

There are a few conversations on the topic of AI here on the forums, if you'd like to read what other freelancers are saying. 

• Like 10
  • Up 3

In my line of work, which is still knife and fork street magic (but I’m tussling with the idea of just chucking all this to the side and starting an Onlyfans … clearly I didn’t do all these chest presses to be healthy), it’s absolutely crucial to qualify every customer - even if they’ve specifically messaged me regarding one gig.

There’s no “benefit of the doubt” in songwriting. Even in the instances where customers back up and allow me to do what’s best, it’s absolutely crucial to extract every piece of information - after all, what is music if not the practice of serving customers forevermore? My process usually goes like this:  

Buyer: 

I need a song. 

Me: 

A song? I don’t have any songs. How about a watch?

Buyer:

Do you write songs?

Me: 

Okay, you got me. I do write songs.

Buyer: 

Can you write me a song for my TV show?

Me: 

Sure. Wait, it’s not one of those “everyone needs to find love on an island, so they all sleep with each other and ponder the conversations this will ensure with their future children” type of shows right? I don’t write songs for those shows.

Buyer:

No, this is a show about building homes.

Me: 

Thats cool. Have you ever considered making a 90’s family sitcom? 

Buyer:

What? No dude. That’s not the show.

Me: 

Sure. But just consider it - it’s a family with two kids. Annoying neighbor. The mother lives with the family. The oldest boy is one of these heathen types. I’m telling you, 90’s sitcoms is where the action is.

Buyer:

Do you want to hear about my show or not?

Me:

What show is that?

Buyer:

The house building show.

Me:

Nah. Tell me more about your sitcom idea.

Buyer:

Its NOT a sitcom. It’s a show about building homes for the less fortunate.

Me:

Married people?

Buyer:

Look man. I need a theme song for my house building show. Something like a cross between AC/DC meets elevator music performed on accordions.

Me:

Ahhhhh. You’re in one of those Mel Brooks, “The Producers” situations aren’t you? You’re pocketing the development money and purposefully driving people away from seeing the show. Brilliant sir.

Buyer:

Dude the show is in its third season.

Me:

I bet in this season you get an annoying neighbor don’t you?

Buyer:

Are you gonna make my song or not?

Me:

Not.

Buyer:

What? Why?

Me:

Because no one should ever make that song. Technically, you just described modern rock anyways. Which is why I don’t listen it. And that explains why I won’t do your terrible song idea.

Buyer:

Do you have a better idea?

Me: 

Lets hire “Morris Day and the Time” and turn the show into a dance party.

Buyer:

Who?

And then I block them. As you can see, it’s quite a daunting process. But our success is intimately tied to understanding the customer and showcasing our amazing investigative skills. So I just forge ahead - always putting the customer first and pitching my 90’s sitcom. And if that doesn’t work - it’s off to Onlyfans I go. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 2
  • Congrats! 1