How do you get a quote without giving a Budget?

papagray

Question

Hi. I am brand new to Fiverr.

I have created a comprehensive brief and need a quote but the request form insists on me putting my budget.

In the UK I have never requested a budget before giving a quote conventionally. I examine the amount of work required and give my price. If someone else prices cheaper then that's the clients decision.

So, how do i get a quote when I cant guess how long the provider will take?

Thanks

PapaG

• Like 6

5 answers to this question

I thought there was a "variable" option? Or 'undetermined'...

I know I've seen screenshots here in the forums where the budget isn't a set amount.

Welcome to the foums, by the way.

I just noticed you said "quote". I think the spot is more for budget, the amount you are looking to pay, not requesting an amount Sellers will charge.

If you want a quote, you'd probably be better off using the search function and contacting a few Sellers. Even if they can't do your project, they might be able to give you an idea of how much it might cost. 

• Like 2
  • Up 3

I get plenty of briefs that state "flexible" as budget, so there must be an option (perhaps it's a bit "hidden") to not choose a number somewhere, or maybe you can leave it blank, or skip the step.

If you have a rough idea about how much it should cost, you could set that as budget, and add in your brief that you just added a tentative number, as you don't know how much it might cost; like that, you'll probably not miss out on offers by higher-qualified sellers who might not react to briefs with too low budgets for the work involved.

On seller side, we can either send a quote or just a message, to let the writer of the brief know we're interested and they can contact us for further discussion, or a custom offer based on the work required, or whatever other factors.

• Like 2
  • Up 4

Thanks to you both.

I really appreciate the quick response.

So just to be clear, best practice is to have a guess at a budget in order to attract interest BUT mention it is a guess in the body of my message. 

My concerns are nobody ever comes back under budget so if my guess is uneducated I could pay more than market value.

I did try adding other things in the budget box but could not get past it. Perhaps Fiverr has tidied up on that 😛

I'll try search too, I assume there is some way to PM from the system?

PapaG

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, papagray said:

I'll try search too, I assume there is some way to PM from the system?

Yes, when you click on a gig you like, you can order it directly, or you can message the seller. Plus, when you click on a gig, you can see what packages the seller is offering within that gig, and how much they charge for that kind of work.

Or when you click on a seller's profile, you can message them (big green "contact me" button).

Search is Fiverr's main system, anyway. Posting requests was more of an afterthought, there for buyers who don't want to use the search for some reason, or for those who can't find what they're looking for via search.

• Like 4
  • Up 2

Hah ... bingo!  I had gone down the correct route but just unlucky I got only as far as the 'get a quote' button which obviously means budget in Fiverr.If I had clicked the 'Ask a question' option as you say I would have got exactly what I wanted

"Ask XXX a question or share your project details (requirements, timeline, budget, etc."

Just a difference in language

Thanks for such great support everyone.

PapaG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2