How to refund a buyer for overpaying

lisadianern1

Question

A buyer had already paid me for photos to go with his video.... and then, he paid me again??  I have no idea why, but I need to refund him for the 2nd payment he made (he ordered this as a gig extra).... How can I get him his money back?  Can I do it on the Fiverr platform?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 answers to this question

4 hours ago, lisadianern1 said:

A buyer had already paid me for photos to go with his video.... and then, he paid me again??  I have no idea why, but I need to refund him for the 2nd payment he made (he ordered this as a gig extra).... How can I get him his money back?  Can I do it on the Fiverr platform?

There are several ways for the buyer to cancel without going through the Resolution Center, and without it hurting your stats:

1. The buyer can cancel the order with the reason "ordered by mistake" and it won't hurt your stats.

2. It also won't hurt your stats if a buyer cancels an order prior to submitting the order requirements.

Both of these options worked well for me when I woke up one morning with multiple alerts going off of consecutive orders and cancelations going on (the buyer was trying to apply a Honey coupon to the orders, unsuccessfully). Luckily she marked "ordered by mistake" on all the cancelations. I also had a "glitch" happen where the buyer clicked twice on a custom offer and placed two orders accidentally. That buyer canceled the 2nd order prior to submitting the order requirements, so it didn't hurt my stats as a seller.

I also like @trombonhero's suggestion, which may work if your buyer is up to that type of arrangement.

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

As far I know, fiverr doesn't have a refunding system but a buyer & seller can cancel the order by opening a mutual dispute in any unwanted situation.
As the buyer ordered a gig extra, you should reachout the fiverr support regarding this situation.

Here is the link for submiting a request >> https://www.fiverr.com/support_tickets/selling-on-fiverr/orders/current-orders/[ORDER NUMBER SHOULD BE HERE]
Or you can visit the Resolution center 🙂
image.png.0e2a2774df3d3148d4fb9480c5ab3cb9.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Hi @lisadianern1!

I faced this same situation a few orders ago, when a customer purchased a trombone recording session directly from my gig's page overpaying for the service (buying more seconds than necessary).
After having expressed my concerns, he got back the difference (the overpaid amount) as a discount on the next order.
Of course, we both agreed with this solution: I think that speaking clearly is a great way to build trust and to create strong relationships with your customers.

Do you think that this could be helpful for you too? 
I'm curious to know how it will turn out!😁

Best,

Michele

• Like 5
  • Up 2

Wow... I truly think Fiverr should consider somehow incorporating a refund possibility in it's platform.  This is a sticky situation.  Honestly.. the person would probably not even KNOW.... as they ordered it twice... but I don't want to take that extra money..... its not right.  And i am afraid asking them to cancel might get confusing.  😞   I will figure something out.   I might offer a second video, possibly without text, or without voice, etc... thank you so much for your suggestions.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, lisadianern1 said:

I don't know.. because I am doubting he will need another video..... but thank you for this info... I think it could work if the situation was right.

Having the buyer cancel with "ordered by mistake" might be the best option for your buyer.

image.thumb.png.8aba3cb0045379b41e1f4890f437ab46.png

It'll show up as not affecting your stats.

• Like 7
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lisadianern1 said:

Wow... I truly think Fiverr should consider somehow incorporating a refund possibility in it's platform.  This is a sticky situation.  Honestly.. the person would probably not even KNOW.... as they ordered it twice... but I don't want to take that extra money..... its not right.  And i am afraid asking them to cancel might get confusing.  😞   I will figure something out.   I might offer a second video, possibly without text, or without voice, etc... thank you so much for your suggestions.

If you think the buyer can't do it, you can do it for the buyer. Just show screenshots of the buyer requesting to cancel because of the error and cancel "ordered by mistake" on behalf of the buyer via a Customer Support ticket. They will make sure it won't hurt your seller stats.

I have canceled orders on behalf of my buyers, especially if they are not digitally inclined. There shouldn't be an issue with you doing that! 😊

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 9