Should I continue working with this buyer?

sophiepearce

Just need a little advice here!

I have been working with a client for the last 1.5 months on a project that is only $175. I provide Lightroom preset packs and in this case the buyer wanted 5 packs from me which would usually take 2 weeks max. I sent the custom offer across and had as much info as I could beforehand (I have a lengthly vetting process) and the buyer said they would fill in the rest in buyer requirements.

The buyer decided during the order process that they wanted to test each pack as we went along, which was frustrating for me as I just wanted to complete the order in one go and make revisions afterwards and not during. However the buyer was pleasant and didn't seem like they would be difficult so I was okay with it to begin with (a very big error I have now learned from).

Over the last 1.5 months I have been back and forth with the buyer, extending the delivery and constantly sending over revisions that the buyer isn't even paying for. The buyer refused to tell me the other info about the other preset packs until we had finalised the one before meaning I couldn't submit the complete order. I kindly asked the buyer to provide me with the info but they would just keep sending over revisions and then disappearing for days to travel before testing them again.

The buyer is quite impatient, I often didn't hear from them while they were travelling and whenever they got back they expected me to complete the revisions within hours and would send reminders if I didn't send anything over. A few days ago, it got close to extending the deadline again so I sent over an extension with the reason being that we have been working on revisions throughout the order process so I'm unable to submit the full order as I still don't have the full order info. The buyer is now refusing the extend the delivery and is blaming me for the order taking too long. I have suggested the buyer provide me with the whole order info so I can submit fully within a few days or we can cancel the order. 

I really don't want to cancel as i've done so much more work and spend so much time than I usually would on an order this size. However I don't think this buyer is going to leave a good review and honestly i'm so stressed out about it, I just want to be done with it. 

The buyer has suggested that we cancel and she orders the 5 packs one-by-one so she can receive each part quicker. She has said she appreciates my work and that she wants to pay me for everything I've done but i'm not sure if it's a good idea to continue working with her. Should I let her order with me again to complete it one-by-one or just cancel the order and not work with her again? I have 100 amazing reviews and the lowest I have is one 4 star, I don't want this to mess up my rating.

Sorry for the long post but someone please help me 😅

tldr: Buyer wanted to complete and test the work part by part and refused to provide me with all the info until each part was completed. After back and forth free revisions, the buyer is now refusing to extend the delivery and blaming me for it taking too long. The buyer wants to cancel and order it part by part instead but not sure if I should continue to work with them or just cancel, take the loss and never work with them again.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, sophiepearce said:

Should I let her order with me again to complete it one-by-one or just cancel the order and not work with her again? I have 100 amazing reviews and the lowest I have is one 4 star, I don't want this to mess up my rating.

Sorry for the long post but someone please help me 😅

tldr: Buyer wanted to complete and test the work part by part and refused to provide me with all the info until each part was completed. After back and forth free revisions, the buyer is now refusing to extend the delivery and blaming me for it taking too long. The buyer wants to cancel and order it part by part instead but not sure if I should continue to work with them or just cancel, take the loss and never work with them again.

Your buyer sounds like she qualifies for my Demandogorgon and my Scopoflayer labels all at once. 

See my post about 4 types of nightmare buyers below: 

Just being one of them is bad enough, and I would get rid of this buyer right away. 

But two? 

Based on what you're telling, you have just wasted hours upon hours of your life for a single, demanding individual, for 175 dollars. 

If I were you, I'd end it now. But ending it without getting paid for your work after all this would suck. So here's what I'd do: 

"I appreciate the oppurtunity to work on this project, and I understand that the delays on this project has been a challenge for you. For that, I'm very sorry. 

However, this project was never meant to be an ongoing order for 1,5 months. The frequent revision requests and your requirement to deliver this part by part, has made it difficult to complete. I believe that it's in both our best interests to complete this project as soon as possible. For that reason, I suggest the following: 

1) You send me all the requirements for every preset we agreed upon. 

2) I create all the presets according to those specifications and deliver them in one single delivery.

3) We set up one round of revisions after the delivery. In this round, you can provide feedback as needed. I will then complete the needed changes. 

4) We complete this order. 

Unfortunately, this step-by-step work methodic does not work for me. Based on where we are at the moment, this is an alternative to cancellation of this order. 

As a note on that, I do have a policy of not continuing to work with someone if a cancellation is required. In this case, that means we won't be able to split this up into multiple orders, as that would require a cancellation in the first place, thereby hurting my account stats and standing with Fiverr. 

I truly thank you for understanding, and even though the decision has already been made on my part, I'm open to hearing your views on this. 

All the best,

Sophie"

P.S. Stop being afraid of ratings. You can respond to the review and explain what happened and you have the option of reviewing the buyer as well. A single negative review is better than selling your soul. People on Fiverr are just too afraid of bad ratings, to the point where they let people like this take advantage of them, abuse them and treat them like a personal slave. You're not a slave. You're a professional freelancer and business owner. Demand the respect that you deserve and demand getting paid for your work. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, sophiepearce said:

Should I let her order with me again to complete it one-by-one or just cancel the order and not work with her again? I have 100 amazing reviews and the lowest I have is one 4 star, I don't want this to mess up my rating.

Your buyer sounds like she qualifies for my Demandogorgon and my Scopoflayer labels all at once. 

See my post about 4 types of nightmare buyers below: 

Just being one of them is bad enough, and I would get rid of this buyer right away. 

But two? 

Based on what you're telling, you have just wasted hours upon hours of your life for a single, demanding individual, for 175 dollars. 

If I were you, I'd end it now. But ending it without getting paid for your work after all this would suck. So here's what I'd do: 

"I appreciate the oppurtunity to work on this project, and I understand that the delays on this project has been a challenge for you. For that, I'm very sorry. 

However, this project was never meant to be an ongoing order for 1,5 months. The frequent revision requests and your requirement to deliver this part by part, has made it difficult to complete. I believe that it's in both our best interests to complete this project as soon as possible. For that reason, I suggest the following: 

1) You send me all the requirements for every preset we agreed upon. 

2) I create all the presets according to those specifications and deliver them in one single delivery.

3) We set up one round of revisions after the delivery. In this round, you can provide feedback as needed. I will then complete the needed changes. 

4) We complete this order. 

Unfortunately, this step-by-step work methodic does not work for me. Based on where we are at the moment, this is an alternative to cancellation of this order. 

As a note on that, I do have a policy of not continuing to work with someone if a cancellation is required. In this case, that means we won't be able to split this up into multiple orders, as that would require a cancellation in the first place, thereby hurting my account stats and standing with Fiverr. 

I truly thank you for understanding, and even though the decision has already been made on my part, I'm open to hearing your views on this. 

All the best,

Sophie"

P.S. Stop being afraid of ratings. You can respond to the review and explain what happened and you have the option of reviewing the buyer as well. A single negative review is better than selling your soul.

• Like 6
  • Up 1