Asked for service slightly different from what my gig offered, don't know what to charge!?

aroujekld

Question

I signed up as a freelancer on Fiverr offering sensitivity reading services (basically when you read a draft of a novel or story and pinpoint potentially offensive content that the writer adjusts according to your feedback). Someone approached me not with any sort of excerpt, but rather a series of questions (in a document) regarding their characters that is meant to aid them in making them more authentic. There are eight questions, and they come out to be about 400 words total. Based on my estimates, I'm thinking this will take me roughly an hour and a half. Sensitivity reading or anything along those lines is a very niche service that has only sprung up in recent years, so I couldn't find much information as to how to charge for a series of questions (if it is an excerpt, I typically charge one cent per word). Should I charge one cent per word or maybe ten cents per word? I plan on giving the most thorough answers so my guess is the price will inevitably look "expensive" considering the time put into answering the questions.

5 answers to this question

Is one cent per word worth your time and skills? Never undercut what your time, skills, and expertise are worth.

Would I charge $20 for a professional logo? Heck no! My design degree alone, says I -- and my service -- are worth a lot more than that. If you offer cheap work (in terms of pricing), you'll start getting cheap customers, many of whom will not value your work, and ultimately become a frustration you do not want to deal with.

To me, it doesn't really seem to make sense to charge per word of the questions. Estimating the time you'll spend to complete this job, and quoting a price not by words but for the project, according to what you want to earn per hour, might be a good method.

(If you also can estimate how many pages of output you'll deliver, you could also add something along the lines of around how many pages you'll deliver, and that you can go deeper into some questions, if wanted after reading, with another order; might not be needed but could be good for setting expectations, in case it's someone who'd say they "expected more than x pages".)

5 hours ago, aroujekld said:

I plan on giving the most thorough answers so my guess is the price will inevitably look "expensive" considering the time put into answering the questions.

One way to deal with that is to list what the buyer will get for the price you decide to charge them and the value that it's going to bring them. (That will also help to set expectations and make it more difficult for the buyer to complain that that's not what they wanted)

Archived