Buyer's blackmailing Seller

strategist_ceo

I'm wondering how to handle a situation where the buyer seems to be blackmailing me with a negative review unless I do some extra work that wasn't included in either the initial order or the plan for fixing the original order.

He's changed his concept and location, which means I might have to spend a whole work week reworking everything, since all my work is done manually.

Usually, I will argue but I think this gig is one of my gig that I am trying to grow and I don't want a negative review on it.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure you can stop them from abusing the rating system like this. Personally, I think I’d cancel and cut my losses. You don’t want to work for someone who is like this anyway and what if you do the extra work and they still give you a bad review? 

7 minutes ago, nikandco said:

Unfortunately, I’m not sure you can stop them from abusing the rating system like this. Personally, I think I’d cancel and cut my losses. You don’t want to work for someone who is like this anyway and what if you do the extra work and they still give you a bad review? 

I will cancel if I can. The request came after the delivery was "automatically completed", so I am struck in this situation for now.

The crux of the problem is that the buyer have a change of location, so the original structure that was based on a specific geographical location is not applicable anymore in his "new location".

1 hour ago, strategist_ceo said:

I will cancel if I can. The request came after the delivery was "automatically completed", so I am struck in this situation for now.

The crux of the problem is that the buyer have a change of location, so the original structure that was based on a specific geographical location is not applicable anymore in his "new location".

Oh yikes. I didn't realize the order had been completed. Its unfair of the Buyer to expect you to change this without additional compensation since it wasn't your fault. But stopping Buyer from being able to leave a review after an order auto-completes is tricky though. If Buyer reviews before you can get it canceled, the review won't be deleted. How long has it been? After 10 days, I don't believe reviews are allowed anymore. 

1 hour ago, nikandco said:

Oh yikes. I didn't realize the order had been completed. Its unfair of the Buyer to expect you to change this without additional compensation since it wasn't your fault. But stopping Buyer from being able to leave a review after an order auto-completes is tricky though. If Buyer reviews before you can get it canceled, the review won't be deleted. How long has it been? After 10 days, I don't believe reviews are allowed anymore. 

It is only a few hour since "auto-complete", and the "review" is allowed for 10 days from now.

As for reviews being deleted, this is what I thought too. So I was quite surprised by this response by the customer service (a hour or two ago):

image.png.8620947e40d3b62aea3232e5203d2a4b.png

That being said, I don't think they will actually remove any reviews. lol.

I'm wondering whether or not it will be ethical for me to not do the extra work, while saying I'll "think about it" (not specific) until the 10 days period of review is over. The requirement has change to include new product types, new locations and so-on. 😂

image.thumb.png.d0e729660e75ffb745d5cf434f4736c5.png

I literally have his words on paper but he also made it clear that:

image.png.a09e8f82ea0be35b2e80d9876280023c.png

It's implied that he has no intention to pay more.

Anyway, the customer service gave me a clearer reply today (LOL)!

image.png.7ba7be1e2fbc3d9f9f16cf4be6d41ff8.png

You definitely should contact the Fiverr customer service. Next time, you can make sure you only work for someone who looks more friendly and easy to work with (you can feel it when you chat with them - ask them questions as well and don't be afraid of them)

Please understand that you can also give him reviews (get well prepared and share your attitude that you have your own rule on how you'd like to sell your gig.

A reasonable customer won't be so difficult to work with and an unreasonable one also not so easy even if you've provided the best you can give.

Good luck!! : -)

7 hours ago, strategist_ceo said:

It was implied but not directly spoken.

If there is no outright 'do this or I will give you a bad review', then there's nothing you can really do. Your choices are basically:

• Say 'no' and stick to it.
    • Deliver the order 'as per the scope of the original contract'.
    • (Their change of scope is NOT your responsibility. The contract was already made and change-orders are costly, as any business should know.)
  • Try to negotiate, like offering a discount for the rest of the work.
    • (If you do this, state CLEARLY what the cost of the extra work should be so the Buyer can see the discount.)
    • (If you do this, create a new order for it, so that the current order can be CLOSED.) 
    • (If you do this, and the price is high enough, consider breaking it into a milestone order, so that you're at less of a risk.)
    • (Not recommended as a choice, as this buyer might try to pull this stunt again.)
  • Do extra work at no additional cost.
    • (Which NO ONE should do, but it is an option)
  • Cancel.
    • (Not ideal at all, but it is an option.)

15 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

If there is no outright 'do this or I will give you a bad review', then there's nothing you can really do. Your choices are basically:

• Say 'no' and stick to it.
    • Deliver the order 'as per the scope of the original contract'.
    • (Their change of scope is NOT your responsibility. The contract was already made and change-orders are costly, as any business should know.)
  • Try to negotiate, like offering a discount for the rest of the work.
    • (If you do this, state CLEARLY what the cost of the extra work should be so the Buyer can see the discount.)
    • (If you do this, create a new order for it, so that the current order can be CLOSED.) 
    • (If you do this, and the price is high enough, consider breaking it into a milestone order, so that you're at less of a risk.)
    • (Not recommended as a choice, as this buyer might try to pull this stunt again.)
  • Do extra work at no additional cost.
    • (Which NO ONE should do, but it is an option)
  • Cancel.
    • (Not ideal at all, but it is an option.)

I totally agree with these....

Archived