Never Give Up is not always good advice.

rachelbostwick

Never give up, yes.

But sometimes it's okay to recognize that you are going in the wrong direction. Sometimes you have to. Don't say NEVER GIVE UP to someone who is knocking on what he thinks is a door but is actually a brick wall. 

On a very practical level:

NEVER GIVE UP is useful if it makes you keep working on your skills until you become the best Fiverr seller in your area. Fine tune your gigs until you attract the right customers. Fine tune your skills until your work is so sharp people can't resist it. Study your communication skills, your language skills. Go more ahead 😄

But NEVER GIVE UP is worthless advice if it just means you slap up a crappy gig and then refresh your browser over and over again hoping you'll get some money from it. That's delusional and sad and it's not helping anyone.

Thank you for coming to my RACH talk.

41 minutes ago, rachelbostwick said:

Never give up, yes.

But sometimes it's okay to recognize that you are going in the wrong direction. Sometimes you have to. Don't say NEVER GIVE UP to someone who is knocking on what he thinks is a door but is actually a brick wall. 

NEVER GIVE UP is useful if it makes you keep working on your skills until you become the best Fiverr seller in your area. Fine tune your gigs until you attract the right customers. Fine tune your skills until your work is so sharp people can't resist it. Study your communication skills, your language skills. Go more ahead 😄

But NEVER GIVE UP is worthless advice if it just means you slap up a crappy gig and then refresh your browser over and over again hoping you'll get some money from it. That's delusional and sad and it's not helping anyone.

Thank you for coming to my RACH talk.

Thanks for shearing 

41 minutes ago, rachelbostwick said:

I feel like 'never give up' in general is pretty toxic - (that's maybe a little harsh but...). 

Once I was by the rocky seaside in Italy and I was NOT comfortable going in (I am a good swimmer but scared of falling off the rocks, lol). Instead of 'giving up' and finding another patch of the sandy beach, I let a friend convince me to try and go in.

Guess who bashed in her arm that day. Been years but it still hurts from time to time.

Pushing yourself until you reach your limit - or even seeking discomfort to some extent - is completely okay, but not knowing when to quit to try something else isn't. 

Especially not in business, because people who are pushing their crap 5-second gigs actually NEED the money that they aren't earning... Listening to people who say 'orders will come if you post BR every day' (and do nothing else other than some spamming) is actually NOT good for them. 

(But I doubt most will read this post. Very useful, but...)

Archived