When they hear this, they get scared

mattwill12

It’s been a while I wrote to you guys here but it is important I do so today.
Is it true that when you get to level one or two on Fiverr, your gig ranking drops?

I’m asking this because some Fiverr sellers say this and it gets the new sellers scared. If this is true can you give us the proof and if it isn’t, please explain why.

Thanks

It’s been a while I wrote to you guys here but it is important I do so today.

Is it true that when you get to level one or two on Fiverr, your gig ranking drops?

I’m asking this because some Fiverr sellers say this and it gets the new sellers scared. If this is true can you give us the proof and if it isn’t, please explain why.

Thanks

While it might happen for some sellers for some gigs, my guess is overall it’s not the case.

can you give us the proof and if it isn’t, please explain why.

You could do a poll, but I think one way that shows it’s not true in general (at least when I try is):

Go to the first page of a category/subcategory or type in a search term (eg. “logo”) and look at the first page of the results. Then look at roughly how many level 0, level 1, level 2 etc. sellers there are in the results on the first page.

eg. when I search for “logo” and look on the 1st page of results:

Level 0 11 gigs. 22.9167%

Level 1 9 gigs. 18.7500%

Level 2 20 gigs. 41.6667%

TRS 8 gigs. 16.6667%

If you click on “seller details” and look at the section for “seller level” you can see there’s way more “new seller” gigs than any other level (eg. 188,325 logo gigs for "new seller"s if using the search for “logo”).

So in this case it’s put nearly as many level 1 sellers on page 1 as level 0 sellers even though there are about 8 times as many level 0 sellers in the logo design category as level 1 sellers. It’s put nearly twice as many level 2 seller gigs on the first page as level 0 seller gigs even though again there are many more level 0 seller gigs in logo design than level 2 gigs.

So the chances of an average level 1 seller gig or level 2 seller gig appearing on the first page of search results based on this seems to be much higher than an average level 0 seller gig (though you could check yourself and see the amounts for each level).

Maybe looking at impressions on the gigs page could give an idea if rank was affected. On the day of my last level increase I don’t see any overall decrease in impressions. It seems like the main ones increased.

It’s possible it could update some index (used for search ranking) on the day of a level change (and in theory cause a temporary drop in rank for some people) or maybe if there was a decrease in impressions on the day of a level change it could be because the system might run a bit more slowly on evaluation day with it updating everyone’s stats.

But like I said I don’t think on the whole increasing levels will negatively affect rank based on those search results and the gigs (and seller levels) it shows in the first category page.

Archived