Dubbing videos with profanity

coolak777

Hi guys. Recently I started a venture where I take the funniest Russian videos (memes, pranks, etc.) and basically I order time-synced voice over and then I do complete lip-sync and sound re-creation in software, so that the end result is complete dubbing (for some of them I do regular voice over though). The thing is that in a lot of cases there is profanity in the original videos, especially in amateur viral videos that now have the status of legendary Russian memes. To my frustration, almost all English-speaking voice actors from Fiverr turned out to be some sort of pretentious pseudo aristocrats, because they refuse to pronounce certain words out of principle.

For example, I need to dub a legendary Russian meme with a 13 year-old kid swearing heavily. For this purpose, I need a female voice, because no man can imitate this kind of naturally high-pitched voice. But while there are a few guys on Fiverr who don’t mind this, I haven’t been able to find a SINGLE female willing to do this. At first I thought that I found her **********, and she explicitly states that she will record any profanity, but then she saw the word “fa**ot” in my script, and she refused to voice it out of some unimaginably lame over tolerant principles, even though the video has nothing to do with insulting gay people, and the word was used as a general insult, not to mention that it’s just a translation.

Even Hitler’s Mein Kamph is translated to many languages, and it’s important to preserve all sorts of art and make it available to anyone interested. But how am I supposed to translate stuff if people refuse to voice it? What frustrated me even more is that I quickly gave up and agreed to replace that word, but for some unimaginable reason that woman blacklisted me. It’s like she’s probably thinking that I’m a bad person for even thinking of translating such a word. Like what the actual heck? Is there a chance that there are any more open-minded female voice actors on Fiverr?

Mod Note: Gig link removed.

The thing is, that specific word which is in the script has become mainstream taboo in the United States over the past decade and a half I would roughly estimate. It is seen by numerous people as being derogatory of people of a specific se*ual preference.

Sellers are understandably trying to cover their own behinds from the Fiverr Community Standards, or on principal don’t want to say anything that can possibly be construed as qualifying under the vague term “hate speech” and opening a huge can of worms in that regard, even if the original intent is purely humorous.

Hey, I’ve cussed in gigs before, but I would also have to refuse saying that particular word and would have to stipulate a replacement word or turn down the order completely.

I don’t think I’m a “pretentious pseudo aristocrat.” I’m just a guy who values his account and doesn’t want to get in trouble/lose it over risky language. 🙊

Have you tried the Buyer Request option?

. fiverr.com/support/articles/360050062693-Tips-to-submit-an-effective-Buyer-Request?segment=buyer

The seller might have been concerned about breaking the Fiverr ToS.

. fiverr.com/community/standards/objectionable-content

No, I didn’t know about that option, it was hidden in a non-obvious place, but now I will try using it, thanks!

:man_shrugging:

There are many alternate words or phrases that would convey the same meaning while also not being a possible Community Standards violation. Trying to match the mouth flaps of the dub might be an issue, but comedic in nature dubs don’t have to be realistically synced and can actually be funnier if way off.

A Russian kid swearing like a sailor likely isn’t interpreted as “art” to the majority of people. What is or isn’t considered “art” is a whole other convoluted topic of discussion, but if I recorded a kid cussing a blue streak, I personally would definitely not label it as art.

If you’re taking the funniest Russian prank etc. videos and then dubbing them even if the words you added were okay with the Fiverr TOS (they might not be if it’s hate speech etc.) they could be against copyright law too and against the TOS for that too if they’re someone else’s videos and you don’t have the copyright holder’s permission.

If you’re taking the funniest Russian prank etc. videos and then dubbing them even if the words you added were okay with the Fiverr TOS (they might not be if it’s hate speech etc.) they could be against copyright law too and against the TOS for that too if they’re someone else’s videos and you don’t have the copyright holder’s permission.

I have all necessary permissions for the content I dub, thank you for your concern.

Archived