Need your advice

There is no definitive 100%, with absolute certainty warning sign to indicate a buyer is potentially a scammer. Normally, it is a combination of factors that lead to it being a dead giveaway.

The buyer having a new profile, or profile with no history of reviews might be seen as a possible warning to a number of sellers, but it doesn’t indicate anything particularly nefarious. It simply indicates the buyer is a blank slate or new account that could potentially go any which way.

The buyer asking for free samples or previous excerpts/copies of your work. A major warning sign! A person looking for freebies is a person looking to milk as much as possible from a potential seller without coughing up any cash. If a buyer is really so curious if a seller is the right fit for the job, they could always place a small scale order first before committing entirely.

Buyer doesn’t understand or communicate effectively. So many nightmare clients start off by simply being incomprehensible to understand, and poor communication leads to incorrect assumptions and expectations which lead further to disputes/revisions/cancellations.

Buyer arguing over a seller’s price. If buying in bulk or a regular customer, then a bit of haggling may be understandable, but for a new buyer to immediately challenge the seller’s price, that’s a red flag that the buyer doesn’t really value the seller’s work. If a buyer starts disputing the price AFTER an order is already made, then they are almost certainly laying the groundwork for a cancellation.

Instinct. If you have a gut feeling that something is not right with a buyer, you are more often correct than not. If something doesn’t feel right with a potential buyer, it’s best to cut them off early before they can inflict any damage to you.

I think @enunciator did a good job with answering your question.

My answer will be shorter and basically focus on his last statement.

If something doesn’t feel right about the communication with the Buyer, don’t ignore that.

Never be afraid to CANCEL an order because you don’t feel 100% sure about the Buyer.

Yes, it will impact your Fiverr stats but that is minor compared to how a bad experience with a Buyer can impact you mentally.

You are not forced to take any work that comes your way.

Be wise, be careful.

I will add a key point too even though before placing a order buyer can be very good I mean extreme good but when continuing that order with the buyer all of sudden buyer can be very disrespectful or trying to ask extra things which is not the scope of the original requirements and once you said no to them they will ask for refund and that’s a one way to identify a scam buyer.

But there are so many other ways you can recognize those type of scammers when you working with clients all around the world and once you have experience you will strategically outrun them when they trying to play games you can counter attack them with your experience and knowledge.in future you will deal with many scammers so in order to prepare for them You must learn all the rules of Fiverr once you know them you know how to pull the triggers without breaking the rules.

I think @enunciator did a good job with answering your question.

My answer will be shorter and basically focus on his last statement.

If something doesn’t feel right about the communication with the Buyer, don’t ignore that.

Never be afraid to CANCEL an order because you don’t feel 100% sure about the Buyer.

Yes, it will impact your Fiverr stats but that is minor compared to how a bad experience with a Buyer can impact you mentally.

Be wise, be careful.

This is a great reminder to sellers. Listen to your gut instinct. If something doesn’t feel right about a buyer’s behaviour, it is far better to walk away and cancel it. Otherwise you can get caught up in many, many hours of heartache trying to service a bad buyer who will likely cancel the order after delivery.

Archived