I don't get how a buyer request like this one gets 20 offers

tomerrose

Hi, I just don’t get it - here is a recent buyer request:
Hi, My book has been written I need someone very good in ENGLISH. Spelling, grammar etc, to go through the entire book, make corrections, add input and fine tune the entire book 217 pages before it goes for publishing. It has to be perfect. Budget is $5. It should take anyone good an hour or two.

If 20 (!!!) people here offer to “fine tune” 217 pages into “very good English” for 5 dollars, what on earth am I doing here? There is zero chance to compete with this, unless there is some fine print I don’t see (such as, that it is 5$ per word or something…)

Can any of you explain this?
Just interested to know what others think. I mean, I know how unfortunate certain countries are in being at an economic disadvantage, but working so much for such a “starvation rate” is far more than outrageous, it’s sheer exploitation i.m.O. …

Hi, My book has been written I need someone very good in ENGLISH. Spelling, grammar etc, to go through the entire book, make corrections, add input and fine tune the entire book 217 pages before it goes for publishing. It has to be perfect. Budget is $5. It should take anyone good an hour or two.

If 20 (!!!) people here offer to “fine tune” 217 pages into “very good English” for 5 dollars, what on earth am I doing here? There is zero chance to compete with this, unless there is some fine print I don’t see (such as, that it is 5$ per word or something…)

Just interested to know what others think. I mean, I know how unfortunate certain countries are in being at an economic disadvantage, but working so much for such a “starvation rate” is far more than outrageous, it’s sheer exploitation i.m.O. …

I know how unfortunate certain countries are in being at an economic disadvantage

As someone from one of those countries, it’s sheer exploitation indeed. A thorough proofreading of a book of said number of pages takes at least 1 week (I think), and anyone who is skilled enough will charge at least 50$

If they got offers, is because sellers are really desperate or want to know more about the deal. Maybe if they’re dead serious about the 5$ budget people will laugh at them… I can’t see anyone with real skills at copywriting doing such work for only 5$. Not even in a third world country.

I know how unfortunate certain countries are in being at an economic disadvantage

As someone from one of those countries, it’s sheer exploitation indeed. A thorough proofreading of a book of said number of pages takes at least 1 week (I think), and anyone who is skilled enough will charge at least 50$

If they got offers, is because sellers are really desperate or want to know more about the deal. Maybe if they’re dead serious about the 5$ budget people will laugh at them… I can’t see anyone with real skills at copywriting doing such work for only 5$. Not even in a third world country.

Thank you, I’m so glad to hear you wouldn’t do that!

Thank you, I’m so glad to hear you wouldn’t do that!

I’m so glad to hear you wouldn’t do that!

No sane person would do it. The budgets in the BR section are laughable, pitiful, ludicrous and insulting, all at once. Sellers are desperate to get an order to increase their stats, but most buyers in the BR section are the classic PITA. No serious buyer will offer 5$ for something that is well known for costing 10 times more.

I’m so glad to hear you wouldn’t do that!

No sane person would do it. The budgets in the BR section are laughable, pitiful, ludicrous and insulting, all at once. Sellers are desperate to get an order to increase their stats, but most buyers in the BR section are the classic PITA. No serious buyer will offer 5$ for something that is well known for costing 10 times more.

at least… 🙂

I feel the urge to bid to this buyer request and add - for the above-mentioned budget - my own soul and a fine glass of wine.

Now the serious part of my comment: I’m pretty sure there will be out there some sellers ready to work on that project for only $5. Maybe to build up their reputation on the platform or just to buy some food. I won’t judge.

Some other sellers would reply to the request to ask more questions or/and make a counterproposal at a higher price.

what on earth am I doing here? There is zero chance to compete with this

That’s the tricky part. There is no competition with this kind of sellers. Let’s make them handle difficult buyers who want the Moon for a quarter and focus on the more reasonable BR (I can assure you, there are some of them out there)

I feel the urge to bid to this buyer request and add - for the above-mentioned budget - my own soul and a fine glass of wine.

Now the serious part of my comment: I’m pretty sure there will be out there some sellers ready to work on that project for only $5. Maybe to build up their reputation on the platform or just to buy some food. I won’t judge.

Some other sellers would reply to the request to ask more questions or/and make a counterproposal at a higher price.

what on earth am I doing here? There is zero chance to compete with this

That’s the tricky part. There is no competition with this kind of sellers. Let’s make them handle difficult buyers who want the Moon for a quarter and focus on the more reasonable BR (I can assure you, there are some of them out there)

I agree and you’re right, of course. I had clients pay me much better here - but so far, any really big project was declined. I have a feeling people find the 20% on top of sellers’ regular price prohibitive, which means we need to go 20% lower to have a chance to get especially larger projects. Am I the only one who has this impression?

Archived