Fiverr Newbie is payment first, or work first then payment?

dataalchemy

I am new to Fiver and sort of have my first new gig. I’m so excited I would almost do it for free just to get the experience and add to my portfolio. But just almost. I do actually want to get paid. The buyer hasn’t paid yet, however is acting like she expects me to do the work. What is the culture here. Am I’ supposed to get paid first, or am I supposed to do the work first and then get paid? Thanks for your help.

Guest humanissocial

We know how it works because we read the rules and you can do that, too. The forum isn’t a substitute for research.

You are required to read and understand the ToS before your register. So you said you read and understood them even though you didn’t.

You can’t succeed without taking initiative and researching. Don’t ask us to do your homework for you.

Sorry about that. I will do that. I just don’t want to mess up. Look like I’m off to a bad start here on the community board. I will do my research and homework to see how to proceed. My apologies. I guess I have my answer so I don’t want to further embarrass myself so I will see if I can delete this.

The Terms of Service will literally save your Fiverr career. Seller places an order, you start working on it after you get the notification. Don’t share personal contact info of any sort, it doesn’t matter if it’s a phone number, email address, or social media link.

I could go on and on but it’s best if you read it for yourself and soak it all in.

Guest humanissocial

Sorry about that. I will do that. I just don’t want to mess up. Look like I’m off to a bad start here on the community board. I will do my research and homework to see how to proceed. My apologies. I guess I have my answer so I don’t want to further embarrass myself so I will see if I can delete this.

Never sign up to a service until you understand how it works and know the rules and never tell a company you have read and understand its ToS if you haven’t. That’s all you have to do.

I am new to Fiver and sort of have my first new gig. I’m so excited I would almost do it for free just to get the experience and add to my portfolio. But just almost. I do actually want to get paid. The buyer hasn’t paid yet, however is acting like she expects me to do the work. What is the culture here. Am I’ supposed to get paid first, or am I supposed to do the work first and then get paid? Thanks for your help.

The buyer hasn’t paid yet, however is acting like she expects me to do the work.

That is one of main rules 😉 never start working without an actual order in place.

@humanissocial is right it is very important to know how fiverr works and the rules because fiverr is very strict with the rules and we see a lot of sellers being banned.

You can also watch a free course on fiverr.learn on how fiverr works and how to be a successful seller

Oh my goodness I see that I can’t delete it. I googled it, and saw that someone made the same mistake I did. Man being new here feels like the first day in a new school. No bueno. Hopefully no one else will slam me for my mistake. I will really try to do some research on the rules. Sadly I can’t even do the forum right. I need to get some information for that too. I will be glad when things become old hat here. Also, I don’t quite know what a topic is versus a post. I’ll be honest. I am from Etsy, and the forum board works a lot differently. I apologize if I’ve done this wrong.

The buyer hasn’t paid yet, however is acting like she expects me to do the work.

That is one of main rules 😉 never start working without an actual order in place.

@humanissocial is right it is very important to know how fiverr works and the rules because fiverr is very strict with the rules and we see a lot of sellers being banned.

You can also watch a free course on fiverr.learn on how fiverr works and how to be a successful seller

Oh thank you so much Maria. I really appreciate the help. I will watch the video.

You have not done anything wrong, you are new and it can be confusing navigating a site you are new to. I am on Et*sy as well and while I do not post on the forums (no need to as of yet, been on there for years), it can be quite different than here.

Always be sure that the person contacting you places an ORDER before you do anything! There are a lot of buyers here who seek out new sellers such as yourself knowing you may be naive and do work for free or unknowingly free! Any order you have will be found on your dashboard under the ORDERS category. Also, if you get someone messaging you and asking for a Custom Order be sure they ACCEPT the custom order and it goes to your ORDER page before you start any work! There have been many a new seller who has done a Custom Offer via the message system here, and the scammer acts as though they are ordering - but you have to do the work and deliver first. Some have actually done this and delivered through the messaging system, then wondered why they never got paid! Also, ALWAYS use the DELIVER NOW green button when delivering orders.

Oh, and I do not know what category you are doing business in, but, NEVER offer UNLIMITED REVISIONS!!! That just invites scammy behavior and buyers! Offer maybe 1 or 2 IF you think you need to offer them at all. I offer none since I have been here (2013) and it has not been an issue.

Good luck!

GG

• Lena locked this topic

Archived