Weird behavior of a client

shrutiiiii405

Because this is an English language website. Therefore to be able to use this site effectively, to clearly understand buyer instructions, to deliver excellent results, and to express yourself concisely in the event of a dispute - you have to be able to use English at a high level. Fiverr clearly state this is an English language marketplace.

If you read my post, I never linked sellers’ attitude to their language. I was making the point that if you can’t communicate effectively in English, then you are far more likely to have dissatisfied clients - as communication will be a barrier. You only need to read some of the forum posts to see this - there are some sellers who can barely write a coherent sentence in English.

To be clear this is absolutely 100% NOT about race or country of origin. Totally not. It is simply about having the ability to clearly communicate in English. As a seller you can’t expect to trade on an English language website if you can’t communicate clearly in English. It makes no sense. I wouldn’t dream of signing up to a French or Spanish website for example, even though I speak a little of those languages, just because I know my skills in those languages aren’t good enough.

image.thumb.jpg.b9a286f8cd38e5f6d2ef46c733762b88.jpg
image1920×1080 286 KB

Again, who told you is an English language website?

Guest humanissocial

Again, who told you is an English language website?

This doesn’t refer to communicating with buyers who speak a different language than you and it’s quite naive to assume a language bot could rectify any communication issues that come up. They don’t account for context and there can be errors.

No buyer wants to receive communication that has been auto translated and it’s not reasonable to expect that.

Where did you hear that English is the official language in the platform? Give me copy of the TOS when it says that sellers must communicate in English and that English is the official language on the platform.

If i do copy writing for the dutch market I deal with dutch clients exclusively so why would I need to speak English? Also the English test on the platform is option. Read my comment regarding the fact the you can chose the language version of the Fiverr’s website, in it made in order people from non -English countries can use it too.

Let’s not turn this into something confrontational. My point is a very simple one, and I believe totally justified: If you are going to sell on Fiverr using English, then your English needs to be at a high enough level in order to attract orders, to understand those orders, to please your clients, and to be able to communicate with customer support in the event of a dispute.

If you sell services in English, then for the sake of the buyer and your own reputation on Fiverr, make sure that your language skills are at a high enough level of competency to do so - otherwise you’re going to get complaints through your own failure to understand the buyer’s needs correctly.

And it is this last point that is at the heart of my argument. Some sellers try to work in English when their level is simply not good enough - they fail to understand the buyer’s requirements, they fail to communicate with the buyer effectively, the buyer then complains to customer support (rightly so), and the seller is unable to succinctly explain their side of the problem to CS. Customer support then rule in the buyer’s favour, and the seller then comes running to the forum where they try to explain their problem, asking for help and looking for sympathy - but fail to do so effectively because their level of English is so bad. The whole sorry cycle starts and finishes through poor communication.

Fiverr’s own terms of service state:

The original language of these Terms of Service, as well as all other texts throughout the Site, is English. Fiverr makes available this translation for convenience only. In case of conflicts between the original English version and any translation, the English version shall prevail.

Source: https://www.fiverr.com/terms_of_service .

So while Fiverr does indeed provide language options they are there for ‘convenience’ only.

Guest content_ed

Some of these buyers know exactly what they are doing. Sigh! With each passing day you learn.
This is what I do!

1. I submit periodic updates for feedback - this is helpful because you can quickly decipher if the buyer truly knows what they want;
  2. To end the job, I provide a job summary that includes: the completed tasks and effort (in time). If the paid time was surpassed I most certainly point that out. If I comply with doing anything else, then we both know it’s a favor.

Some of these buyers know exactly what they are doing. Sigh! With each passing day you learn.

This is what I do!

1. I submit periodic updates for feedback - this is helpful because you can quickly decipher if the buyer truly knows what they want;
  2. To end the job, I provide a job summary that includes: the completed tasks and effort (in time). If the paid time was surpassed I most certainly point that out. If I comply with doing anything else, then we both know it’s a favor.

Are you getting anything extra for this works? Tips or anything?

I got extra 200% tip from one buyer for a job. Another buyer just got the same amount of work for free because of unlimited revisions. He even abused me for my work. When I resorted to CS the issue was marked resolved with no solution provided to me.

The sellers here are not trying to scam here nor even the buyers. But some disputes are not going in favour of sellers.

I’m afraid of bad rating

If you are going to be afraid of bad rating then you will always be stuck with doing a lot of free work.

You either need to learn to say no or you can keep being afraid and being a prisoner of your own fear and you will keep doing free work.

I say no quite often to my buyers. (Of course it’s not a “no, I can’t”. It’s a whole communication and process of me politely with no aggression explaining things.) and none of the buyers whom a said no left a bad review. All of them were still satisfied and respectful of my time and my work because I was respectful and polite explaining What’s included and what’s not.

It’s a nice advice for everyone!

Guest content_ed

Are you getting anything extra for this works? Tips or anything?

I got extra 200% tip from one buyer for a job. Another buyer just got the same amount of work for free because of unlimited revisions. He even abused me for my work. When I resorted to CS the issue was marked resolved with no solution provided to me.

The sellers here are not trying to scam here nor even the buyers. But some disputes are not going in favour of sellers.

Nice 200%.

I’ve gotten tips >100% of the price of the job and I have also gotten nothing.

As you said maybe no scamming is going on. But at the end of the day, we need to try our best to maintain our professionalism and work towards the best outcome.

I’m afraid of bad rating

If you are going to be afraid of bad rating then you will always be stuck with doing a lot of free work.

You either need to learn to say no or you can keep being afraid and being a prisoner of your own fear and you will keep doing free work.

I say no quite often to my buyers. (Of course it’s not a “no, I can’t”. It’s a whole communication and process of me politely with no aggression explaining things.) and none of the buyers whom a said no left a bad review. All of them were still satisfied and respectful of my time and my work because I was respectful and polite explaining What’s included and what’s not.

Thanks for your good reply …

impressive :star_struck:

Archived