Advice: Lowering Mutual Cancellations and When Buyers Ask For Things Your Gig Does Not Offer

hotwebideas

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! all these comments from sellers about buyers as if we were ignorant people trying to abuse some sellers. I am a buyer that had very good experiences with sellers till I sent a gig to a seller - following word by word what they had as services, though their profile shows 3 days turn around they asked for 7 days so I planned my project based on that and now the night before the delivery they ask for mutual cancellation with no explanation - when I asked why and that this was unprofessional he said first come first serve and that he had a lot of orders- so what would you call that poor seller? or me hang to dry with nothing to deliver for my project tomorrow? what would that be called in the forum here? or even how to get a resolution?

hotwebideas said: if the seller does not tell the buyer what they won't provide, it is the seller's fault, not the buyers. Buyers cannot read a seller's mind.

I disagree with your statement. The seller also cannot read a buyer's mind. Here is my experience: Although I clearly ask from the buyers to contact me before ordering, recently a buyer order my Gig asking me to design a bottle - Yes, a real bottle! I even have no idea where the buyer got the idea that I am offering bottle design ;-)

If I follow your statement, the list will never end. I believe that it is much better option to ASK BUYERS TO CONTACT YOU BEFORE THEY PLACE ANY ORDER. although in this case it did not work!

Guest vishalassassin

Don’t know why fiverr gives that much preference to buyers. Sometimes They ask for more and even ask for cancellation when there work is done

Me

Thanks for the tips Bruce and taking the time to try and help others out :O) I'm brand new, as in just setting up my Fiverr account. I guess I have a lot to learn. However, I'm very professional and like to treat clients with respect and expect the same in return. I’m a perfectionist and I feel customer service is first and foremost! From what I’ve been reading on the Forum it sounds like our reputation can be damaged easily through no fault of our own due to cancelations? I don't want to spend a lot of time on my set up if I'm going to be chastised and therefore after working hard to bring my standing up have it knocked down for something that is out of my control. If I may… how long have you been selling on Fiverr and do you believe this format is a good way to make a good living? Am I over reacting to what I’ve been reading about how people are being treated. I don’t mind investing my time in this venture, but is this for real? Like everyone else I’m looking to build a business that I will be fairly compensated for services rendered. Please give me your food for thought. Thank You again. “Have a Great Day!”

• 3 weeks later...

Reply to @happygirl48: I think with your attitude and work ethic you will do fine. I am 14 months in, 1100 jobs, $30 average sale and zero negative feedback. Like in the real world, if you push really hard in the tough times and don’t just give up on the difficult jobs, the system works well. About 1 in every 20 jobs is difficult for more. Just push through and adjust your descriptions and offer and build the hassle into your gig structure. Always respond quickly to requests for adjustments and outlast your customer. If you work hard, and provide a service that you are competent in, believe it or not, it is really hard for someone to leave negative feedback. They want to love your work. Try to offer really tangible products. The customer should know exactly what they are getting by looking at your samples before you start. If your product is not a good match for them, there is the ability to do a mutual cancellation and give a refund without a negative impact on your account. I have done less 20 refunds after the work was completed in 1100 jobs. I think that is really low.

Good luck. Fiverr really has been a great platform for me.

Reply to @supportadmns: they don’t affect us like they used to. You should strive to keep them minimal. A Cancellation puts the customer in limbo on their project and creates a hassle for them. But, if it’s clearly a misorder, Try to catch it very quickly, so the customer can move on. The smoother their transactions, the more likely they will stay on Fiverr. That is the ultimate goal.

I’m facing the same BS now. people just order the web development gig without confirming and reading, as if it is a piece of cake.

Even though I have mentioned to ask before ordering.

When I tell them the cost after checking, they just proceed to cancel.

Most of the time this is a debugging job and I the $5 cost only goes into checking and giving out the quote.

There has to be a protection, if ordered without reading the terms, it cannot be cancelled.

Guest brentjonline
hotwebideas said: I currently offer a gig where I blog about a buyer's website and then tweet it to my 30,000 Twitter followers. Some buyers told me they wanted me to tweet a certain day of the week and time. That's a scheduled tweet. I turned it into a gig extra and now I make an extra $10 on any scheduled tweet. It really adds up folks!

Great idea. This is very essence of supply and demand. You saw a need and offered a gig extra to fill it. Nicely done. :-)

Hi to all,

I am a new seller with high ratings who’s just got the first badge. I would like to share my first bad experience which is very relevant to your discussions.

About two days ago, a buyer, who also happens to be a top rated seller here on fiverr with many gigs, ordered my gig and asked me to provide more than my gig description offers. I accepted to work harder in order to please her. It took me almost a day to complete the order and then when I delivered she asked for more. I worked one more day to complete the job and satisfy the customer but when I re-delivered she gave me a bad review so I had to cancel the order to save my reputation.

My question is how do we get protected from other sellers who try to spoil our reputation? Needless to say that I immediately contacted fiverr support and reported her. Is there any one here who knows how to deal with those bad people who steal our work? Is there any forum, facebook group or anyplace where I can report this person? She is a top rated thieve!!!

I see that most of these comments are from Sellers but I’m a Buyer and new to Fiverr. My very first work request was for a fillable PDF document. I wrote the Seller, gave him specifics about the job (per his request) and then instead of telling me WHY he wouldn’t do the job, he wrote and said he was “So sad but would not be doing the job” and refunded my payment. As a Buyer, I was very disappointed but to not receive a reason for the cancellation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good tips. My gig descriptions are very clear on what I’m offering, but still there are people who are ordering my gig and ask for things that I do not offer. Some of them do not even provide the details and clarifications we are asking for. Once it is done they are leaving a bad feedback without even asking for a revision. I think buyers should read the gig descriptions and focus more on what sellers are offering before they place any order.

Archived