Learning to overdeliver without underselling yourself

shivettes

Hi guys – this feels like common sense, but it’s definitely something that took me a while to figure out on Fiverr. I thought I’d share it in case it helps anyone out. (Also, please excuse me if this has been discussed before, I did a search and didn’t find anything).

So: while overdelivering is often recommended as a way to increase reputation and keep customers satisfied, it’s important to remember not to undersell yourself in the process. What I mean is: Overdelivering by giving special attention to each project, extra words/services, etc. is really great practice and I do it on almost every order. However, I’ve had the tendency to also agree to many requests/demands of buyers that simply aren’t in my gig description (or take up a LOT of time).

I guess I just wanted to post this to encourage both new and established sellers to figure out their ideal time to $$ rate – ie. figure out app. how long a gig takes to create, and how much you want to be paid for your time – and essentially stick to it.

This came about when I realized that at the beginning I was making less than minimum wage because I was putting so much time into each $5 gig. (Granted, at the beginning you’re building a rep and might be working for less…)

Now, when a buyer asks for a video testimonial and gives a random link for me to research and pick out information I explain to him/her everything that goes into a video testimonial gig for me:

-I spend time consulting with the seller on their vision

-I memorize the script

-I set up the setting, camera, tripod, etc.

-I change into appropriate clothes/makeup

-I film several takes

-I upload it

-I edit it

-I send it over

I think the thing about certain gigs (like video testimonials) is that it’s not apparent how much effort goes into them – that’s the POINT of the gig, it looks like someone is excited about a service and grabs a camera and instantly makes a video.

Same thing with good writing. Good writing should look effortless – but the reality is that it is a skill to take information and make it readable/approachable/appropriate in tone, style, grammar, etc. If someone is offering to write an excellent 1000 word article for $5…well that’s fishy.

Archived