Impersonation of a character

bobbybryce

I’m wondering if it is illegal to impersonate a character specifically Blippi! I’ve seen a ton of Disney Princess characters for birthday parties, and I wonder how they do it? I was asked to impersonate Blippi, and I do look a lot like him and could add it to what I offer for children’s birthday parties. I have read to avoid putting photos of the actual character, but am I in the clear otherwise?

I think it’s a grey area. Any public figure or character can be I’m pretty sure. If it we’re copyright strikeable SNL would never make any money. You just cant say “This is …” In your impersonations.

Maybe the fact that it’s a parody means it’s allowed. If it’s not a parody (and the script isn’t) maybe it isn’t allowed. Though even putting the name of a copyrighted/trademarked character in the gig title/description could be a problem even if it was parody probably (eg. “I will do a [copyrighted character name]-style voice”).

That’s the answer @uk1000. I wouldn’t do it if it’s copyrighted. And a parody is not protected if it is a copyrighted character. For example you couldn’t do an imitation of Homer Simpson.

For example you couldn’t do an imitation of Homer Simpson.

Though you might be able to do an imitation of the character if you called it something else that was an obvious parody of Homer Simpson and/or an obvious parody of his name+his character?

Archived