Things you SHOULD know before starting a freelancer career

aggelosmariospa

Working alone is not a big deal for me. Working with people means everyone must be on the same page, ready to work, know what’s going on. It usually means meetings, presentations, etc. It means being interrupted by a producer who doesn’t care that you’re working, or having your partner distracted because the account executive needs the price on an ad changed right away.

I don’t know why some people crave to work with people. People can be extremely vexing, even online it can be difficult to deal with people.

But I understand, some people crave people, some will pay rent at one of those WeWork buildings, or they will join some other incubator, just to be around people. Others do Fiverr from Starbucks, which to me is ridiculous, but whatever. If paying for overprice coffee is your thing, go for it.

I didn’t say I couldn’t stand alone. Or I said I liked working with people that much cause you are right with what you are saying.

There used to be days that I didn’t get out and didnt socialize due to high load of work. And I was all alone working. There is a difference between working in people and socializing… If you can manage to solve this out and don’t get trapped then it is perfect… that is the point of the topic 🙂

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome tips!

I would add another tip
Allocate at least 30min every day to think about your gigs, priorities and what is the next step for you. Is there anything you can simplify in your work process or is there anything you can do more for your clients? Don’t only think about tomorrow, what will happen in 5-10 years from now? Are you investing your money, do you have a savings account, are you building a passive income for yourself?

Some people can’t stand to be alone for a minute.

Some people can’t stand to be alone for a minute.

Isn’t that the truth? Ironically, even if you’re in an office full of people, at some points you’re going to be alone. Graphic designers often work alone, they get instructions and then are left to their own devices. The same goes for video editors, even copywriters work alone when writing radio. At some agencies you don’t even get a partner, so you don’t even get to share your cubicle with someone else.

Awesome tips!

I would add another tip

Allocate at least 30min every day to think about your gigs, priorities and what is the next step for you. Is there anything you can simplify in your work process or is there anything you can do more for your clients? Don’t only think about tomorrow, what will happen in 5-10 years from now? Are you investing your money, do you have a savings account, are you building a passive income for yourself?

Totally correct. Perfect advices what you have said 🙂

Awesome tips!

I would add another tip

Don’t only think about tomorrow, what will happen in 5-10 years from now? Are you investing your money, do you have a savings account, are you building a passive income for yourself?

Good tip. I believe in investing in long-term bonds or diversified mutual funds. I have been very disciplined with respect to spending/investing my freelance income.

Don’t only think about tomorrow, what will happen in 5-10 years from now? Are you investing your money, do you have a savings account, are you building a passive income for yourself?

Good tip. I believe in investing in long-term bonds or diversified mutual funds. I have been very disciplined with respect to spending/investing my freelance income.

this subject is getting hot with good advices. hopefully we could be some of help to newcomers 🙂

It is a great idea. I used to do this for a while with my brother. He was working as freelancer but then he found an another job so I left alone again. Finding a coworker would be fun but still you have to have discipline and work on your projects, not foolimg around 😃

still you have to have discipline and work on your projects, not fooling around

Who said anything about fooling around? :thinking: haha

@aggelosmariospa great tips! 👍

I like to add one more point. When we are working, we try our level best to complete the orders as soon as possible which will make us sit for longer hours.

But please DO NOT sit for more than 30 minutes. Human body is designed for regular movement. While a short period of sitting here and there is natural, but long periods of sitting day-in and day-out can seriously impact our health and shorten our lives. 🤕

I know it’s pretty hard to remember to stand up in every 30 minutes & walk around for 2 minutes, when you involving in a big project. But trust me when you get used to it, it will become more easy & I’m sure you’ll feel comfortable too. 😊

I like to add one more point. When we are working, we try our level best to complete the orders as soon as possible which will make us sit for longer hours.

But please DO NOT sit for more than 30 minutes. Human body is designed for regular movement. While a short period of sitting here and there is natural, but long periods of sitting day-in and day-out can seriously impact our health and shorten our lives. 🤕

I know it’s pretty hard to remember to stand up in every 30 minutes & walk around for 2 minutes, when you involving in a big project. But trust me when you get used to it, it will become more easy & I’m sure you’ll feel comfortable too. 😊

Wow yes how did I miss that ?

You are so right… Some jobs may get you working for hours! And this is exhausting in short terms and it may harm your well being in long terms.

I used to do a brrak every one hour and a larger break each 4 hours, going for jogging or seeing some friends…

That actually helped me and after a while I got used to it.

Working in front of a pc for hours isn’t as relaxing as some may think.

DO NOT sit for more than 30 minutes.

I fully agree, you should take breaks.

I take a break every 2 hours or so. 30min is not enough for some jobs to get anything done 🙂

However, my breaks are probably longer (20-30 minutes).

DO NOT sit for more than 30 minutes.

I fully agree, you should take breaks.

I take a break every 2 hours or so. 30min is not enough for some jobs to get anything done 🙂

However, my breaks are probably longer (20-30 minutes).

Yes indeed, 30 min is not enough for certain tasks which need continuous attention. Sometimes I get stuck with some clients who ask same thing again & again, and it takes more than 1 hour sometimes. But the thing is, doctors & health consultants suggest that we should stand at least for 5 minutes in every half and hour. 🙂

Check this out!

I am starting with an experiment - just for 1 week - no TV except for sports, no internet surfing and no social media and no looking at how my stock portfolio has been doing. I may come to this forum now and then and that’s about it, just focused, concentrated work. It’s Monday 25th Sept. Let’s see if I’m able to do this till the next Monday 2nd Oct.

I am starting with an experiment - just for 1 week - no TV except for sports, no internet surfing and no social media and no looking at how my stock portfolio has been doing. I may come to this forum now and then and that’s about it, just focused, concentrated work. It’s Monday 25th Sept. Let’s see if I’m able to do this till the next Monday 2nd Oct.

I dont thin over doing is helping… you just need a balance. 🙂

I dont thin over doing is helping… you just need a balance. 🙂

Archived