Custom Orders: The Struggle

writingace

I have several large custom orders that I’m working on right now, and just got a message from someone who was upset that I couldn’t deliver a 24 hour turnaround on a gig. I stated that I was working on a large project and they said that there weren’t any orders showing up in my queue, in a fairly unpleasant and accusatory way.

I checked and sure enough, I don’t see any of the custom orders appearing in any of my queues. Is there anyway for Fiverr to address this?

I think it would also be helpful if the reviews on custom jobs could appear under those gigs. It’s nice that we can now provide customized quotes, but usually they are for large-scale products that require a lot of time and effort. Since Fiverr’s ranking system is heavily weighted by customer reviews, it would be a considerable asset to see those reviews published versus just used to shore up your overall score in general.

Fiverr should really have a feature for sellers that allows them to self-limit the number of gigs in a particular time period to avoid exactly that scenario (especially on the 24hour turnarounds as I’m assuming people are choosing those gigs or gig extras because THEY WANT THEIR PRODUCT IN 24HOURS!)

It would be so easy to crash and burn a rival seller by simply overloading them, then forcing them to cancel gigs and ruin their rating.

Nuff Said.

Hi Writing Ace,

Definitely feel for you. As helpful and forward thinking as the quote function is, I avoid it. Simply for the same reasons you allude to. My suggestion is to instead make an extra that is specifically for custom orders. Like for example, on my main gig I have a “I will do as we discussed” extra for custom work.

Or, I’ve even seen some sellers have a gig specifically for custom projects.

Hope that helps.

writingace said: they said that there weren't any orders showing up in my queue, in a fairly unpleasant and accusatory way.

That's uncalled for the buyer for sure, you're not responsible for the way Fiverr's system is currently displaying work and no one should make assumptions regarding the personal queue of someone and their account.

However, I am not sure based on your statement if they "expected" a 24-hour turnaround time or they "purchased" this Extra Fast turnaround around time and you failed to deliver - these are two very different things. You are only expected to deliver within the turnaround time and is advertised on your Gig and/or was paid for.

With that said, if you're having issues with how the buyer is speaking with you, please contact Customer Service. Fiverr's Terms of Service is very clear on issues of how other speak to one another in the community: "Rude, abusive, improper language, or violent messages sent to users will not be tolerated and may result in an account warning or the suspension/removal of your account." Do not let yourself be talked down to, bullied or harassed by another user regardless of the situation. I encourage you to contact Fiverr and provide screenshots or the remarks a user makes towards you, should you feel this is happening to you. Fiverr will take action against them.

Ps. This discussion is in the wrong category, and I would recommend it be moved to the 'Suggesion Box' where it would be better suited. Good luck! :)

Whether you have something in your queue or not is really irrelevant. People have families, kids, work, etc that prevents them from being at a buyers every whim. Me personally, I don’t - I do this full time. I ask them to contact before buying for various reasons. If they don’t like what I provide, ie my timeframe, charges etc, they can go to someone else. It’s not worth the bother with some people, and this sounds like it may possibly be one. Some sellers have large queues, but have a group of people working on the orders. For me specifically, 10 orders might show up in my queue, but that may be hours and hours and hours of audio. The buyer would not know and is wrong to assume anything really. I like the custom feature a lot as I found people were having trouble following my instructions on how to purchase extras or multiples in a gig. I also do not think purchasing multiples from a gig page is particularly user friendly either (ie the drop down for ordering multiples of gigs and so forth). But anyway, yes I love the custom quotes, but would be good to attach them to a specific gig so I could receive feedback for them, and so they show up in specific queues, if that’s what other sellers such as yourself want.

Reply to @thepromogirl: Thanks for the feedback; I never know where to post articles on these forums.

I’ve contacted CS for other issues that are much more urgent and usually have a response time of about three days; someone being rude to me in a message isn’t the end of the world, I just wondered if others thought that tweaks to the custom quotes might be useful. 🙂

Archived