How many skills can I add?

draceadan

Question

Hello, 

I used to work on Fiverr in 2017. Now, just getting back at this freelancing platform, I stumbled upon the skills section. 

My question for you is, how many skills can a seller add? 

ChatGDP once told me that I could add fifteen skills. Another time, the same AI told me that I could add twenty-one skills. 

As I am completing my profile, I have added over twenty-five skills to the profile. Is this an error? If it's not, do you have any recommendations on choosing skills? 

Later edit: It is thirty (30). As a beginner, one can add thirty skills. 

Edited by draceadan
  • Like 4
  • Up 3

16 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Add only those skills you have. Just because they support up to 30 skills, that doesn't mean you are qualified to perform all those things at the highest level. 

👍

• Like 3
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, donnovan86 said:

Just because they support up to 30 skills, that doesn't mean you are qualified to perform all those things at the highest level. 

True but when adding a skill it asks your experience level, with options for beginner, intermediate or expert. So it doesn't necessarily need to be at the highest level.

Though there's a bit of a bug where even if you put "intermediate" for the experience level it will, for some skills, show "expert" next to the profession version of that skill when it shows it on the profile.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 4
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, donnovan86 said:

Add only those skills you have. Just because they support up to 30 skills, that doesn't mean you are qualified to perform all those things at the highest level. 

I want to offer writing and translation services. From what I can tell, there are enough skills to reach thirty. :))

• Like 3
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, uk1000 said:

True but when adding a skill it asks your experience level, with options for beginner, intermediate or expert. So it doesn't necessarily need to be at the highest level.

Let's be honest, people lie about their language proficiency, you really think they choose anything other than expert level for any skill? Maybe some do, but the majority of "writers" seem to be experts in everything. Yet they also have tons of mistakes in their posts. 

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 2
  • Up 1

12 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

Let's be honest, people lie about their language proficiency, you really think they say anything other than expert for any skill? Maybe some do, but the majority of "writers" seem to be experts in everything. Yet they also have tons of mistakes in their posts. 

I meant in general, no matter what categories of gigs they have. eg. one of my skills on my profile shows "expert" after it even though I put "intermediate" not "Expert" as the skill level. Same if I add a test skill of "background removal" and put "intermediate" as my skill level (not the "expert" level that was available), it puts "background removal expert" on the profile. Some do put intermediate for some skills and it shows it otherwise. Though you're right, some will be dishonest and put expert when they're not. If someone puts "beginner" I don't think it shows the skill on the public profile at all.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 5
  • Up 1

3 hours ago, draceadan said:

Using keywords such as 'content,' 'writing,' 'copywriting,' 'edit,' and 'translation,' I get over thirty keywords recommended by Fiverr. 

But are you qualified for all those skills? That's the thing. You can add dozens of skills, that doesn't mean you have them. And it's not a knock on you specifically or anything like that. But a LOT of people here say they are experts in stuff they never even heard of. 

• Like 4
  • Up 1

9 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

But are you qualified for all those skills? That's the thing. You can add dozens of skills, that doesn't mean you have them. And it's not a knock on you specifically or anything like that. But a LOT of people here say they are experts in stuff they never even heard of. 

I'll leave with one example. If I can write blog posts, I can opt for 'blog writing,' 'blog content writing,' and 'blog editing.' 

To answer your question, I try to add skills that, I say, I have expertise. 

• Like 4
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, draceadan said:

To answer your question, I try to add skills that, I say, I have expertise. 

My question is why people want to list 30 skills. They might think more skills  = more work. But that's not the case.  Add however many you want, that's up to you!

• Like 3
  • Up 1

3 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

My question is why people want to list 30 skills. They might think more skills  = more work. But that's not the case.  Add however many you want, that's up to you!

Forgive me if I am wrong, but wouldn't more skills added to my profile increase my exposure on the platform? 

• Like 2
  • Up 1

5 minutes ago, draceadan said:

Forgive me if I am wrong, but wouldn't more skills added to my profile increase my exposure on the platform? 

Not really, no. It just shows to buyers what you are capable of. 

Go to your profile, switch to the buyer view. And if you click on those skills, it will link you to curated profiles, most of them Pro sellers that people can choose from when picking someone with that specific skill. So it does nothing for you, really, other than show people what you are qualified in. And if you lie and add dozens of skills you don't have...

• Like 3
  • Up 1