why is the seller insisting I cancel an order and is declining my request?

tydowns

Question

We didn't agree on the scope, so I requested to cancel, she declined and said she needed to do it and then she sent me a request to cancel. I'm assuming this has to do with their ratings, etc. Why do sellers do this?

• Like 2

9 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, tydowns said:

She said it was beyond scope and I'd have to buy a much more expensive package. I said just do what the basic package that I ordered, she said she coudln't and I needed to buy a more expensive one. Then she told me she would send a cancellation (after I already sent one to her).

Since you mentioned that you ordered PPT slides -- although the seller may have described "5 PPT slides in the basic package", the seller may still be right. We are not considering the 'complexity of the project' factor here. Maybe your slides are too complex for the basic package. Of course, we can not know the reason as there could be various factors.

3 hours ago, tydowns said:

I don't have to message somebody, wait for them to respond and have a back and forth with them

By not doing so, you are just making things complicated for yourself. You will have to go through cancellation phases, and in the end, you'll have nothing but wasted time. The best recommendation is to message a seller first and check how long they take to respond. Even if their work and reviews are good, it's important to see how they attend to your query and how they behave.

24 minutes ago, tydowns said:

Anyway, the question is why won't she accept my cancellation request (she's denied it twice), and why is she sending me a cancellation request?

Probably the seller thinks that this way, the cancellation won't impact the metrics, but that's untrue. Whether the cancellation is done by the buyer or the seller, it's counted as a "mutual cancellation" and will still impact the 'Order Completion Score' of the seller. But what issue do you have with accepting the cancellation? Just accept it and move on to another seller. I don't know why you're making things so hard.

• Like 1
  • Up 2

The seller getting punished by the algorithm is not the buyer's problem, and it shouldn't prevent them from canceling if they're unhappy just because the seller is depending on Fiverr.

Likewise, the seller shouldn't have to bear the said "punishment" if the buyer had placed an order without properly checking their gig packages.

CS can solve this issue easily if one of the parties has contacted them.

I came across a similar situation pretty recently. I just contacted them and asked to cancel the order, and it was done within a few hours.

• Like 1
  • Up 1

It is important to contact sellers first to discuss the project to prevent this as it has a huge effect on seller's profile.

Buyers can request to cancel, if seller don't accept, you should reach out to Customer Support, they will cancel the order and refund you the money. Seller also need to reach out to support to avoid getting their level effected, only if the project was canceled because there was a misunderstanding about the scope of the project, but if the seller agrees the first time before the order was placed and then request to cancel, that's on the seller!

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Up 2

Placing an order is agreeing on the scope, no? I read the description, it fit what I needed, so I ordered it. Is that not how Fiverr works anymore? I admit I haven't used it all that much the past couple of years, but for what I am using it for, I don't have to message somebody, wait for them to respond and have a back and forth with them about an order. Seems like a huge waste of time when their service matches what I need done.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tydowns said:

Placing an order is agreeing on the scope, no? I read the description, it fit what I needed, so I ordered it. Is that not how Fiverr works anymore? I admit I haven't used it all that much the past couple of years, but for what I am using it for, I don't have to message somebody, wait for them to respond and have a back and forth with them about an order. Seems like a huge waste of time when their service matches what I need done.

If you read the description, it fits what you need. Then I don't understand what "not agreeing on the scope" means.

1. What service did you purchase? I agree it's not really necessary to message them back and forth after placing an order. But it all depends on the type of service (eg: a marketing content piece)

2. What exactly are the discrepancies between the seller's description and the actual service you received that made you realize that there's a disagreement on the scope of the project?

3. What led you to want to cancel the order?

• Like 1
  • Up 2

She advertised a 5 slide PPT, which is what I wanted. I provided the graphics, and the info.

She said it was beyond scope and I'd have to buy a much more expensive package. I said just do what the basic package that I ordered, she said she coudln't and I needed to buy a more expensive one. Then she told me she would send a cancellation (after I already sent one to her).

Anyway, the question is why won't she accept my cancellation request (she's denied it twice), and why is she sending me a cancellation request?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tydowns said:

I don't have to message somebody, wait for them to respond and have a back and forth with them about an order.

Most of the sellers on Fiverr would prefer a basic conversation before the order placement - about the context and scope of work of the order. 

It helps both parties arrive at common ground on cost, timeline and scope of work. 

We get severely punished by the algorithm if a buyer is not happy with our work or an order gets cancelled. While a buyer goes back to their life after the completion or cancellation of an order - this one single bad order can put us out of business for 3 to 6 months. And, a lot of people depend on Fiverr for their bread n butter. 

• Like 1
  • Up 1