The seller cheated me out of $1300

Posted (edited)

Hi! I'm a new user. I was looking for a contractor for a web project, I was offered cooperation by fiverr seller, on his page it is stated that he gives a 100% money back guarantee, he also has good reviews. Having learned that I needed to resolve the issue with a bank card in another country, since I was a refugee from Ukraine, he suggested that I pay money directly to him in a crypto wallet. In the end, he simply deceived me and did not do any work, the project is not working, practically nothing has been done, he ignores me, I think that he is a scammer! I also want to hire a lawyer in his country and contact the police, for me this amount is very large and he really let me down, now my partner is demanding money from me.

The fact that he is a scammer and does not want to give money is confirmed by his actions to delete his photo in telegrams and on Fiverr, but I am sure that the support service cannot be fooled just like that and there is his avatar in the logs.

Edited by mrskilo
  • Like 6
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, mrskilo said:

he suggested that I pay money directly to him in a crypto wallet. In the end, he simply deceived me and did not do any work, the project is not working, practically nothing has been done, he ignores me, I think that he is a scammer!

Your huge mistake: Why did you pay your seller outside the Fiverr when it's strictly prohibited to contact sellers/buyers outside the Fiverr?

I am sorry but I think Fiverr Support is not gonna help you in this case as you took your project outside the Fiverr. Should have done everything via Fiverr.

Contact Fiverr Support regarding your issue.

Edited by smartdezigns
Removed Content Since OP edited the post
  • Like 6
  • Up 4

3 minutes ago, smartdezigns said:

Your huge mistake: Why did you pay your seller outside the Fiverr when it's strictly prohibited to contact sellers/buyers outside the Fiverr?

I am sorry but I think Fiverr Support is not gonna help you in this case as you took your project outside the Fiverr. Should have done everything via Fiverr.

P.S. You are also violating the Forum Rule as you are not allowed to share or mention the username/profile link of your seller/buyer on the Forum. Avoid it next time. Also, contact Fiverr Support regarding your issue.

@ana_tomy or @Lena Please remove the seller's profile link from the OP's post. Thanks

This scammer himself suggested contacting outside the exchange. I did not have the experience to know that this could happen on such a reputable exchange that the buyer may not be protected. Thank you for your advice, I edited the topic and am waiting for a response from fiverr support where I can send them the facts of fraud. I am sure that they are fair and I don’t need scammers on the site who deceive people who are already in a difficult situation.

• Like 4

Just now, mrskilo said:

This scammer himself suggested contacting outside the exchange. I did not have the experience to know that this could happen on such a reputable exchange that the buyer may not be protected. Thank you for your advice, I edited the topic and am waiting for a response from fiverr support where I can send them the facts of fraud. I am sure that they are fair and I don’t need scammers on the site who deceive people who are already in a difficult situation.

You should have said No to that seller.

Well, you should have also read the Terms of Services where it is clearly written that you are not allowed to contact anyone outside the Fiverr. So, How can Fiverr protect you when you paid your seller outside the Fiverr? And you did right by contacting Fiverr. They will take an action against your seller and nothing else can be done I guess! 

For your next projects, be careful and also follow the Fiverr's Rules. (Read Terms of Services again). Good Luck

• Like 3
  • Congrats! 1

1 minute ago, smartdezigns said:

You should have said No to that seller.

Well, you should have also read the Terms of Services where it is clearly written that you are not allowed to contact anyone outside the Fiverr. So, How can Fiverr protect you when you paid your seller outside the Fiverr? And you did right by contacting Fiverr. They will take an action against your seller and nothing else can be done I guess! 

For your next projects, be careful and also follow the Fiverr's Rules. (Read Terms of Services again). Good Luck

Thank you! I'm glad that there are people like you here who care and who are ready to give advice! Now I will know all this and won’t make a mistake again! I was just a substitute before and he took advantage of it!

• Like 3
  • Up 1

2 minutes ago, mrskilo said:

Now I will know all this and won’t make a mistake again! I was just a substitute before and he took advantage of it!

It's okay. You had a bad experience at first but I hope your next experiences will be good and better on Fiverr. Just stay alert and be careful!

Always read the Terms of Services and get help from Fiverr Support too if you are confused or stuck anywhere! 

• Like 3
  • Up 1

I still hope to get my money back! Still, there is a law in any country that prohibits deceiving people. And I hope for the assistance of the fiverr support service so that they evaluate my facts and evidence and help bring this person to court

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrskilo said:

he suggested that I pay money directly to him in a crypto wallet.

This is why all transactions have to take place here on Fiverr, you both broke the rules and if you paid him outside Fiverr, Support can't do anything since this isn't in their control. It is very important to read and follow the rules when signing up on an online marketplace. The only way to solve this in...some way would probably be by taking legal action against that person but of course, outside Fiverr since the transaction didn't happen here. It's complicated at this point, I assume that the location of that seller is important  as well... Justice doesn't really work the same everywhere 

• Like 3
  • Up 3

17 hours ago, Alex.M said:

This is why all transactions have to take place here on Fiverr, you both broke the rules and if you paid him outside Fiverr, Support can't do anything since this isn't in their control. It is very important to read and follow the rules when signing up on an online marketplace. The only way to solve this in...some way would probably be by taking legal action against that person but of course, outside Fiverr since the transaction didn't happen here. It's complicated at this point, I assume that the location of that seller is important  as well... Justice doesn't really work the same everywhere 

If the case concerns a dispute where there is no clear deception, then this is one case. Of course, the support service has the ability to help effectively only within fiverr. However, here we are talking about a scammer who can continue to deceive people and has no right to work on the site anymore. I believe that the rules cannot contradict human understandings of security, such scammers who write on their page that they themselves guarantee the return of funds must either understand that they cannot cheat by returning the money or be held accountable under the law and, of course, blocked on fiverr

• Like 1

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. It's important to report this to Fiverr's customer support immediately. They have processes in place to deal with such situations and can help you resolve the issue. Additionally, contacting the police and seeking legal advice in the seller's country might also be necessary steps to take.

Stay strong, and I hope this gets sorted out soon.

• Like 3

Definitely reach out to Fiverr's customer support right away and provide all the details. They're equipped to handle situations like this and can assist you in resolving the issue. It's also wise to consider seeking legal advice to explore your options further.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, mrskilo said:

This scammer himself suggested contacting outside the exchange. I did not have the experience to know that this could happen on such a reputable exchange that the buyer may not be protected.

Fiverr protects buyers/sellers if purchases are made via Fiverr specifically. Fiverr doesn't accept or encourage crypto payments. I suggest you read the terms of service to learn what's allowed and what is not ok. Asking for crypto payments is a huge red flag because those can't be traced. So if anything goes wrong, you can't get a refund. But as I said, all purchases need to be made by Fiverr. That person is a scammer, but since you dealt with them outside of Fiverr, there's nothing Fiverr can do, other than close their account (and most likely yours too because you dealt outside of the platform). 

• Like 3
  • Up 1