Voiceover Versus Vicious Verification Vortex!

smashradio

Ok, so today I'm not gonna rant about being forcibly empowered by AI or about Fiverr (ok, a bit about Fiverr). 

As we say in Norway, I have a hen to pluck (our way of saying bone to pick, for some strange Norwegian reason) and today, my hen is logins.

So here I was, going about my workday. I headed down to my studio to record a voiceover, sat down, and booted up my Surface. Then I realized that I hadn't uploaded the script to OneDrive, meaning I had to download it from Fiverr.

After typing in my paranoidly long and difficult password manager password that I use so I don't have to remember passwords, I hit the Fiverr login and get prompted for two-step verification, because, clearly, logging in yesterday from the exact same device and browser was just a rehearsal. Meh.

Left my phone upstairs, didn't I? So I decided to get a one-time code via email. See where this is going?

So I go to Outlook, only to be prompted for two-step verification there, too. This time, I actually have no choice: I have to get up and find my phone to enter the two numbers on the Surface screen into a box in the Outlook app, even though I'm logging into Microsoft services daily from this network (and I used Outlook on my Surface in the same freakin' browser yesterday!).

But okay. I get my phone, input the darn numbers, only to be told I'm too late, and have to try again. I do, and I finally get into my inbox after 10 minutes back and forth with this nonsense.

I copy the one-time code from Fiverr, and finally get in to download the script. I try to open the script, but for some reason, the buyer put it in an Excel file. Why, you ask? Because clearly, someone out there hates me, and now I'm being prompted to log in to OneDrive so I can open the file in an app I've installed locally with an account I just used on the same device to get the one-time code for Fiverr. Microsoft truly thrives on user torment.

People talk about how going password-free, using a password manager, and having two-step verification will make us safer (and it's probably true). But this is getting to the point of it qualifying for security through obscurity.

And all that, just to read a 7-second script.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore wallpaper - Meme wallpapers ...

(Yes, the title was generated with the help of ChatGPT and inspired by V for Vendetta). 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, smashradio said:

Ok, so today I'm not gonna rant about being forcibly empowered by AI or about Fiverr (ok, a bit about Fiverr). 

As we say in Norway, I have a hen to pluck (our way of saying bone to pick, for some strange Norwegian reason) and today, my hen is logins.

So here I was, going about my workday. I headed down to my studio to record a voiceover, sat down, and booted up my Surface. Then I realized that I hadn't uploaded the script to OneDrive, meaning I had to download it from Fiverr.

After typing in my paranoidly long and difficult password manager password that I use so I don't have to remember passwords, I hit the Fiverr login and get prompted for two-step verification, because, clearly, logging in yesterday from the exact same device and browser was just a rehearsal. Meh.

Left my phone upstairs, didn't I? So I decided to get a one-time code via email. See where this is going?

So I go to Outlook, only to be prompted for two-step verification there, too. This time, I actually have no choice: I have to get up and find my phone to enter the two numbers on the Surface screen into a box in the Outlook app, even though I'm logging into Microsoft services daily from this network (and I used Outlook on my Surface in the same freakin' browser yesterday!).

But okay. I get my phone, input the darn numbers, only to be told I'm too late, and have to try again. I do, and I finally get into my inbox after 10 minutes back and forth with this nonsense.

I copy the one-time code from Fiverr, and finally get in to download the script. I try to open the script, but for some reason, the buyer put it in an Excel file. Why, you ask? Because clearly, someone out there hates me, and now I'm being prompted to log in to OneDrive so I can open the file in an app I've installed locally with an account I just used on the same device to get the one-time code for Fiverr. Microsoft truly thrives on user torment.

People talk about how going password-free, using a password manager, and having two-step verification will make us safer (and it's probably true). But this is getting to the point of it qualifying for security through obscurity.

And all that, just to read a 7-second script.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore wallpaper - Meme wallpapers ...

(Yes, the title was generated with the help of ChatGPT and inspired by V for Vendetta). 

image.png.07a926763d7026e31cc0db59ec0d583f.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

Just now, newsmike said:

image.png.acacd8b8916f8b4a8ddd6d144fd6ee3d.png

My Spock has to disagree with your Spock. He would say logic dictates that the situation will deteriorate. One only needs to observe Generation Z and extrapolate their potential future leadership skills to understand this. 

• Like 7