Impolite Clients

fullofpride

Hello there,
I'm facing a challenge with a client who is quite lunatic, and often appears dissatisfied despite numerous revisions I've made to meet their needs.

There are moments when the client's feedback is unclear, and when I seek clarification, they respond rudely, making me feel belittled. I've been hesitant to address this as I fear negative feedback and adhere to the 'customer is always right' policy. It is not the first time this happens. Sometimes clients are the nicest, but sometimes they can be the worst. I was wondering, does this happen to you? How much should one tolerate in such situations, especially when you know whatever you do, no matter how hard you try, can result in a bad review? 

• Like 10

I think the trick is to not get it personal, makes it a little easier. 
I would recommend you to remain polite and professional, and kindly ask your buyer to provide a better description. 
If they have unreasonable requests that are not agreed on the order offer or they use offensive language, you can communicate with Fiverr Customer Service and get their support. 

Edited by besoh93
  • Like 8

My situation is a bit different from yours, since my gigs are relatively cheap, and I offer one revision only; if the client asks for more revisions, I might do another one for free, but that's when I also tell them that I offer one revision only, and now I'm making a one-time exception and delivering another one. That stops most of them.

In other words, I never do many revisions (nor do I get in such a situation), and with a relatively low price, it's easier to cancel if the buyer is unreasonable.

Anyway, a trick you might try is to make it look like it's all about them. For example, if their instructions are unclear, you can try telling them that you really wish to make it perfect for them, and need them to explain so-and-so to you, or to be more specific about so-and-so.

Rude behavior isn't allowed, and you can report them to Customer Support when it happens.

1 hour ago, fullofpride said:

How much should one tolerate in such situations, especially when you know whatever you do, no matter how hard you try, can result in a bad review? 

For that, I'd say to trust your gut. If something isn't working, it might be better to cut your losses and walk away. In the most polite way, of course: "I'm sorry, but it looks like I keep misunderstanding you, and like I'm really not a good match for your needs. I suggest we cancel this order, so you can find someone who better understands you, and who can create a perfect product for you." Or something like that.

Edited by catwriter
typo
  • Like 9
  • Up 1

Dealing with challenging clients is common. If faced with unclear feedback or rudeness, seek clarification professionally, set boundaries, and offer solutions. Document communications and know when it's appropriate to walk away. Prioritize your well-being and professionalism. Learn from challenges to improve future interactions.

• Like 6

As in real life, we can sometimes come across self-important, entitled people who think that because they bought your service, they've also bought your soul. One of the skills of a Fiverr seller is in being able to deal with these buyers. One technique I have employed in the past is to set a boundary early on - what I call sending a shot across their bows. Establish early on that you will not be taken advantage of and I often find this is enough to create a more balanced, professional relationship.

And while I don't tolerate rudeness, I am guilty of reading an insult into a buyer's response where none was intended. I'm not saying you're doing this, but as others have said, taking these things personally can lead you into a more precarious situations. Or it certainly has in my case. 

The irony of all of this is that if a buyer is nice and polite, I am much more likely to let the customer walk all over me! 

• Like 8