Which is worse, a cancelled order or a 1 star rating?

kpay10

I have a client who wants to cancel after spending 3 days on a project. I did everything the client asked for and now he wants to cancel. It really seems like he wants to scam me and get free work off me. 

I been a seller since the beginner of this year and have completed around 70 orders. Out of 45 of them, they left a review and all 45 gave a 5 star review. 

I'm worried if I cancel, my impressions will go down

• Like 14
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Up 1

48 minutes ago, kpay10 said:

I have a client who wants to cancel after spending 3 days on a project. I did everything the client asked for and now he wants to cancel. It really seems like he wants to scam me and get free work off me. 

I been a seller since the beginner of this year and have completed around 70 orders. Out of 45 of them, they left a review and all 45 gave a 5 star review. 

If your order meets the criterion - Buyer can still leave 1 star public rating after cancellation. 

Delivering an order buyer isn't happy with, would mean that the order would be eligible for public as well as private rating, which might adversely affect your buyer satisfaction score. 

My advice would be to choose the lesser harmful outcome and opt for cancellation😇 Sometimes letting go can be good in mid to long term. 

Just sharing my 2 cents on the dilemma but I would love to hear what other experienced sellers on the forum would advise in this scenario. 🤔🤞

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, priyank_mod said:

If your order meets the criterion - Buyer can still leave 1 star public rating after cancellation. 

Delivering an order buyer isn't happy with, would mean that the order would be eligible for public as well as private rating, which might adversely affect your buyer satisfaction score. 

My advice would be to choose the lesser harmful outcome and opt for cancellation😇 Sometimes letting go can be good in mid to long term. 

Just sharing my 2 cents on the dilemma but I would love to hear what other experienced sellers on the forum would advise in this scenario. 🤔🤞

How do I know if the order meets the criterion? 

• Like 9
  • Up 1

11 minutes ago, kpay10 said:

How do I know if the order meets the criterion? 

Most of the time, buyers can now leave a review even if you cancel the order. If the order was delivered and you are not dealing with a person buying on Fiverr for the first time, chances are they can leave a review for your order. You can see who can leave a review here https://help.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/17120664805521-Reviews-for-canceled-orders-

Eligibility 

It is important to take into account the specific circumstances under which a review for a canceled order is eligible. 

• Order is late - this is considered when more than 24 hours have passed after the delivery due date.
  • Seller is unresponsive - the seller didn’t respond to the buyer’s inquiries or requests for more than 24 hours.
  • A delivery was provided to the buyer to complete the order.
The following scenarios are excluded from leaving reviews for canceled orders:
  • First-time buyers who purchased for the first time in the marketplace.
  • Buyers that have a dual seller account.
  • Orders that were canceled with a chargeback.
  • Like 12
  • Up 1

On 9/26/2023 at 9:58 PM, donnovan86 said:

Most of the time, buyers can now leave a review even if you cancel the order. If the order was delivered and you are not dealing with a person buying on Fiverr for the first time, chances are they can leave a review for your order. You can see who can leave a review here https://help.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/17120664805521-Reviews-for-canceled-orders-

Eligibility 

It is important to take into account the specific circumstances under which a review for a canceled order is eligible. 

• Order is late - this is considered when more than 24 hours have passed after the delivery due date.
  • Seller is unresponsive - the seller didn’t respond to the buyer’s inquiries or requests for more than 24 hours.
  • A delivery was provided to the buyer to complete the order.
The following scenarios are excluded from leaving reviews for canceled orders:
  • First-time buyers who purchased for the first time in the marketplace.
  • Buyers that have a dual seller account.
  • Orders that were canceled with a chargeback.

Woah, I just found that out and this feature is a DISASTER!

Currently working with a really awful buyer. I made him a 30% discount, I worked for 3 days on the order, while being really queued. The moment I delivered the work he literally said "This is SHIT, give me my MONEY back" and opened a cancelation request. Like, he did it literally a second after I delivered. I was open to do a few revisions for free, as I always strive to close orders, but communication with him was essentially impossible, as he just insulted my work, opened like 10 cancelation requests, and just acted in bad faith. 

I opened a ticket with Customer Support to make sure my Order Completion Rate will stay intact if I cancel (as it's not up to me) but they told me that he can STILL LEAVE A REVIEW which broke my mind, literally. 

This feature puts even more stress on sellers and gives more blackmail room for malicious buyers (which was already a problem before).

This user will leave me a bad review, no matter what I do. At least before this update, he was just going to scam me out of my time and my hard-earned money. But now, not only is he going to do that, but he is also going to hurt my profile with a bad public (And possibly, a bad private review).

This is crazy. No wonder I lost my PRO badge, things are getting insane for us sellers 😂

Private Reviews + Reviews on Cancelled Orders will be the 2 things that kill us. I really love Fiverr, I do - it changed my life, but man, can they mess it up more than that? It was so perfect before, no wonder the stock keeps plummeting and went from 320$ to 20$. 

#bringtheoldfiverrback 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, worthforcheap said:

This feature puts even more stress on sellers and gives more blackmail room for malicious buyers (which was already a problem before).

I really know it sucks, but you have to understand that we have exactly 50% of the story.  I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but without the other side of the coin, who can say with 100% certainty that he was not justified? If he did get a terrible delivery, and had to cancel because of it, that is something that buyers have a right to know.  Again, not accusing you of anything. Can't form an opinion with one side of the story.  And of course, both sides are always 100% perfect in every way when they tell their side. I watch my Judge Judy. 

Since there is no perfect system, I'd rather be in a system where reasons for cancellation are displayed and buyers can read the totality of the seller's reviews to form an opinion, as opposed to the previous system where bad sellers sanitized their reviews by hiding them with a refund, allowing terrible sellers to have perfect 5 star reviews with 100% positive feedback. 

13 minutes ago, worthforcheap said:

no wonder the stock keeps plummeting and went from 320$ to 20$. 

You must know better than this.  The anger speaking? 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 9

18 minutes ago, newsmike said:

I really know it sucks, but you have to understand that we have exactly 50% of the story.  I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but without the other side of the coin, who can say with 100% certainty that he was not justified? If he did get a terrible delivery, and had to cancel because of it, that is something that buyers have a right to know.  Again, not accusing you of anything. Can't form an opinion with one side of the story.  And of course, both sides are always 100% perfect in every way when they tell their side. I watch my Judge Judy. 

Since there is no perfect system, I'd rather be in a system where reasons for cancellation are displayed and buyers can read the totality of the seller's reviews to form an opinion, as opposed to the previous system where bad sellers sanitized their reviews by hiding them with a refund, allowing terrible sellers to have perfect 5 star reviews with 100% positive feedback. 

You must know better than this.  The anger speaking? 

I've been doing what I do for more than 12 years and I'm pretty decent at it. You can pretty much know who is in the right when I tell him "Please tell me what's wrong with it, I'll be happy to make some adjustments free of charge" and he responds with "there's nothing you can do, it's shit, give me my money back". "It's shit" was also his opening line.

Here's the work by the way, I did 2 versions (which he didn't pay for but I added one as an extra, just in case)

image.png.6e7653f0c55454a005ab914a4d0b8720.png
image.png.45eb9bc2b855a1b12991d3284b6eed2b.png

If he asked nicely about canceling the order I would've happily done it and I also DID want to cancel the order and provide him with a refund, until I found out about this stupid feature that a lot of people would just make mental gymnastics to justify. 

TO SUM IT UP, here are my current options:

Option 1- I agree to cancel and I get paid 0 for the work I did + I potentially get a bad review (potentially a bad private review also which will also hurt my account) 
Option 2- I don't cancel and I get paid, but the buyer is extra malicious and again leaves 2 bad reviews (1 public and 1 private) 
Option 3- I agree to cancel and I get paid 0 for the work I did and IF I'M LUCKY, the buyer won't bother. 

Do you see how this feature is a problem? I wouldn't have been worried if the buyer didn't call me "Bro" and my work "Shit", but when you're dealing with someone like that it becomes pretty obvious to you how they're wired. 

• Like 6

On 9/26/2023 at 11:28 PM, kpay10 said:

You can contact Fiverr customer support to cancel that order. If support team cancel the order there is no bad effect for your gig.  1 is not good for your gig and profile, it may harmful for your gig. So, butter you cancel your order from Fiverr support team.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, worthforcheap said:

It was so perfect before, no wonder the stock keeps plummeting and went from 320$ to 20$. 

I mean that was at the height of covid when people were going to Fiverr because they lost their real life job. It went down steadily after that, to how it was before covid. 

8 hours ago, worthforcheap said:

Option 2- I don't cancel and I get paid, but the buyer is extra malicious and again leaves 2 bad reviews (1 public and 1 private) 

That's what Fiverr wants, to stop cancellations. You're getting a bad review anyway, so might as well get paid right? 

They also want to curate situations when people do a bad job and just cancel to avoid any consequence. There are obviously situations when people end up being damaged by this measure, but generally Fiverr wants to differentiate people that actually deliver great work and those that cancel orders just to keep a specific rating. Why? Check and see that most people have a 4.8 to 5 star review. As a buyer, that's hard to tackle because you don't really know which seller gives you the best value. And you can easily find someone that cancels all orders with a potentially bad review, so their general profile review score is higher than it should be. That, and the fact that a lot of sellers ended up canceling on buyers right upon delivery, with no consequence. This brought a lot of unhappy buyers to the forum, so I can see why they did this. 

• Like 9