Portfolio

domenikbrenner

I wonder if the portfolio does anything for you professionally. Do buyers even look at it? I showcased a few samples of my work. It's fun to gloat a little, but not sure if it's worth the effort.
This is just a discussion with opinions, it's not a problem thread or anything.

• Like 11
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, domenikbrenner said:

I wonder if the portfolio does anything for you professionally. Do buyers even look at it? I showcased a few samples of my work. It's fun to gloat a little, but not sure if it's worth the effort.
This is just a discussion with opinions, it's not a problem thread or anything.

Well Portfolio (only on Fiverr via My Portfolio feature or Gig Gallery) really matters. That way, buyer will be able to understand and have an idea that the seller has capability to do this task. Yes, buyer checks the portfolio of the seller for sure.

In my case, there is a 20% chance that buyer will ask for my portfolio as I have already added some of my work via gig gallery (first 3 gig images).. But may be in the future, I will add some of my work in "My Portfolio" feature too.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, smartdezigns said:

Well Portfolio (only on Fiverr via My Portfolio feature or Gig Gallery) really matters. That way, buyer will be able to understand and have an idea that the seller has capability to do this task. Yes, buyer checks the portfolio of the seller for sure.

In my case, there is a 20% chance that buyer will ask for my portfolio as I have already added some of my work via gig gallery (first 3 gig images).. But may be in the future, I will add some of my work in "My Portfolio" feature too.

If I go on your profile I don't even see your portfolio for example

• Like 6
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, yourbrandingpal said:

It shows up on individual gig pages mostly. At least that's what I've noticed, don't know if there are separate settings for it to show up on your profile page.

There is a separate setting/feature which is named as "My Portfolio" on the main Profile page below "Among My Clients".  See the attached image

MyPortfolio.PNG.dd47546186dfdfd5ff08bb58d0922ce5.PNG

• Like 4
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, domenikbrenner said:

I did. What did I miss? 

25 minutes ago, smartdezigns said:

I have already added some of my work via gig gallery (first 3 gig images).. But may be in the future, I will add some of my work in "My Portfolio" feature too.

You have missed this part.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi @domenikbrenner - my portfolio was the only reason I was able to get buyers when I had zero orders and no reviews. So for me, it was what gave me credibility when I didn't really have credibility on the platform. I still get a lot of buyers who will specifically mention my portfolio samples in either the gallery or in the My Portfolio section of my profile. I still plan on adding more Portfolio samples, especially on technical writing since requests for technical writing is on the rise.

Note: I estimate about 75% of my orders come from those who look at my portfolio samples.

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 11
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, vickieito said:

Hi @domenikbrenner - my portfolio was the only reason I was able to get buyers when I had zero orders and no reviews. So for me, it was what gave me credibility when I didn't really have credibility on the platform. I still get a lot of buyers who will specifically mention my portfolio samples in either the gallery or in the My Portfolio section of my profile. I still plan on adding more Portfolio samples, especially on technical writing since requests for technical writing is on the rise.

Note: I estimate about 75% of my orders come from those who look at my portfolio samples.

Fancy seeing you again haha. 

Okay, I can see your portfolio, and it looks really nice Might have to redo mine, because as a bloke, I am too pragmatic to be visually engaging. Have a look at my portfolio and tell me what you think then, if you want?

Anyway. How did the buyers find your portfolio? They must click on your profile first to even see it, or is there somewhere for them to see it?

• Like 6
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, domenikbrenner said:

Fancy seeing you again haha. 

Hey @domenikbrenner! I really like your portfolio samples!

Great detail and good visual examples. The only thing that you might want to do is add a cover image to each one to standardize the look (and use all 5 images, if possible, to maximize each project that you are showing.

30 minutes ago, domenikbrenner said:

Anyway. How did the buyers find your portfolio?

The majority of my buyers don't look at the My Portfolio section first - they look at my samples in the Gallery (e.g., the PDFs and images in the Gallery for each gig). I had to use the Gallery before I got the My Portfolio option on my profile.

I noticed that you don't have any samples there, so definitely take advantage of that space since you can add 2 PDF files with multiple pages in your Gallery. If you don't want to create new samples, you can at least add the same samples that you have in the My Portfolio section.

You can also start including Gallery images with each delivery, which I have been doing since my very first delivery. This can be a pain to do if you offer services that require you to deliver proprietary info, like I often have to do, since I have to remove all confidential info and create a special delivery image just for the gallery (and the buyer might not approve the image). Examples of this can be seen in my Writing Services, Beta Reading, or Resume Writing gigs. These portfolio samples don't show the actual project but it still gives buyers ideas of what I can do. Many of my buyers don't want to share their actual projects, but they don't mind me sharing a summary of what I did.

• Like 5
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vickieito said:

Hey @domenikbrenner! I really like your portfolio samples!

Great detail and good visual examples. The only thing that you might want to do is add a cover image to each one to standardize the look (and use all 5 images, if possible, to maximize each project that you are showing.

The majority of my buyers don't look at the My Portfolio section first - they look at my samples in the Gallery (e.g., the PDFs and images in the Gallery for each gig). I had to use the Gallery before I got the My Portfolio option on my profile.

I noticed that you don't have any samples there, so definitely take advantage of that space since you can add 2 PDF files with multiple pages in your Gallery. If you don't want to create new samples, you can at least add the same samples that you have in the My Portfolio section.

You can also start including Gallery images with each delivery, which I have been doing since my very first delivery. This can be a pain to do if you offer services that require you to deliver proprietary info, like I often have to do, since I have to remove all confidential info and create a special delivery image just for the gallery (and the buyer might not approve the image). Examples of this can be seen in my Writing Services, Beta Reading, or Resume Writing gigs. These portfolio samples don't show the actual project but it still gives buyers ideas of what I can do. Many of my buyers don't want to share their actual projects, but they don't mind me sharing a summary of what I did.

Thanks you! Glad it's not as awful as I thought it might be. I am already thinking about adding more pictures with deliveries, and maybe structure my portfolio like yours. Although I am not sure if that is a good approach for me, as my portfolio (and deliveries) are not very diverse. It's usually just manual research or webcrawlers for the moment. I plan to expand within the next year or so, but need to get proficient first at the other gigs, that I am thinking of.

What I meant is tht the biggest hurdle for a new seller or someone burried on the last page or something, is that no one even clicks on your profile in the first place. You can have the most convincing portfolio, but if no one clicks your profile, no one is going tosee it.

• Like 6
  • Up 1

6 minutes ago, domenikbrenner said:

What I meant is tht the biggest hurdle for a new seller or someone burried on the last page or something, is that no one even clicks on your profile in the first place. You can have the most convincing portfolio, but if no one clicks your profile, no one is going tosee it.

Then maybe you should work on your gig images. Right now they look pretty generic, so make them look unique! Add a profile picture of yourself (kind of like your current profile picture) because you have a great smile and come off as real, approachable, and fun to work with. But buyers won't see that until they click on your gigs - so show that to them first via your gig thumbnail.

I really didn't want to include pictures of myself when I first started, but I think it does make a difference (or at least it makes the images look unique and different from all the other gigs out there)!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Then maybe you should work on your gig images. Right now they look pretty generic, so make them look unique! Add a profile picture of yourself (kind of like your current profile picture) because you have a great smile and come off as real, approachable, and fun to work with. But buyers won't see that until they click on your gigs - so show that to them first via your gig thumbnail.

I really didn't want to include pictures of myself when I first started, but I think it does make a difference (or at least it makes the images look unique and different from all the other gigs out there)!

Oh, I am fun to work with. Sometimes I crack open a beer during work 😄 

But I am thinking of doing a cover picture for my portfolio in the style of my gigs pictures. I think they stand out and have bright and lively colours. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, domenikbrenner said:

Oh, I am fun to work with. Sometimes I crack open a beer during work 😄 

Haha 😂 ... one of the perks of freelancing remotely!

Great idea to standardize the look of the profile ad gig pictures. I was also thinking of other ways you can get your portfolio to buyers before they visit your gigs - you could showcase your work in a gig video!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vickieito said:

Haha 😂 ... one of the perks of freelancing remotely!

Great idea to standardize the look of the profile ad gig pictures. I was also thinking of other ways you can get your portfolio to buyers before they visit your gigs - you could showcase your work in a gig video!

I got one video up, but it's not very interesting. Just shows a program running smoothly (after hours of not doing that though.). What sort of video were you thinking? Dramatic music, a bulldog, comedy and actors? Car sales ad, but me with a laptop and program open instead of cars for the LOW LOW LOWEST prices?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, domenikbrenner said:

What sort of video were you thinking? Dramatic music, a bulldog, comedy and actors? Car sales ad, but me with a laptop and program open instead of cars for the LOW LOW LOWEST prices?

Nothing fancy or dramatic. It can just be a simple slideshow video outlining your services and what you can do. Virtual assisting is a very broad category, so you can filter out a lot of the non-buyer by specifying what you can do (or are willing/not willing to do).

Edited by vickieito
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, vickieito said:

Nothing fancy or dramatic. It can just be a simple slideshow video outlining your services and what you can do. Virtual assisting is a very broad category, so you can filter out a lot of the non-buyer by specifying what you can do (or are willing/not willing to do).

You sure that wouldn't work? I am THIS close to getting Edgar the cigar smoking bulldog with a bowler hat. THIS CLOSE. 😄

Bit clueless what to do, might let a creative fiverr guy do it for me. 😄 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1