"Online Now" doesn't really mean online now.

jarodmorris398

Question

When I search for people who could do the work that I need (i.e., logo design) I look for people that are online now.  I figure that's the best chance of getting quick responses.  I get auto-responders and then the person shows offline, away, sleeping, etc.  How in the world are people spoofing the "Online Now" status?  It's really frustrating for buyers and for a seller that is actually online now to be lumped in with all of those that aren't really online would be frustrating.  The seller might be ready to respond, but they're so far down the search results they don't get notice because everyone else shows up as online but they're really not.  Is there a fix for this?

• Like 2

3 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, jarodmorris398 said:

When I search for people who could do the work that I need (i.e., logo design) I look for people that are online now.  I figure that's the best chance of getting quick responses.  I get auto-responders and then the person shows offline, away, sleeping, etc.  How in the world are people spoofing the "Online Now" status?  It's really frustrating for buyers and for a seller that is actually online now to be lumped in with all of those that aren't really online would be frustrating.  The seller might be ready to respond, but they're so far down the search results they don't get notice because everyone else shows up as online but they're really not.  Is there a fix for this?

Unfortunately, some bad apples are trying to cheat the system by using browser plugins such as auto-refreshers to appear online, even when they're not. The only solution is to not spend your money with sellers doing this, as I'm afraid the only way to get rid of them is putting them out of business. Whenever we see a seller asking how they can trick the system (yes, they ask about this openly!) we try to explain it to them, but I'm afraid honesty and work ethic falls on death ears with some people. 

• Like 9

20 hours ago, jarodmorris398 said:

I'd suggest that you change your strategy to searching with skills and experience in mind as opposed to being in a hurry and looking for a fast response. Better to wait a couple hours and speak to someone who know what they are doing, as opposed to someone sitting there hoping for an inbox message?  As @smashradio pointed out, if they are immediately available, there is probably a reason. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 7
  • Up 1

3 hours ago, newsmike said:

I'd suggest that you change your strategy to searching with skills and experience in mind as opposed to being in a hurry and looking for a fast response. Better to wait a couple hours and speak to someone who know what they are doing, as opposed to someone sitting there hoping for an inbox message?  As @smashradio pointed out, if they are immediately available, there is probably a reason. 

We have a saying in Norwegian. "Den som venter på noe godt venter ikke forgjeves". It means, "Whoever waits for something good, waits not in vain".

• Like 5
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1