Copyright question

toastythompson

Question

So, I've worked for a number of years making licensed designs of various large IP's. My question is am I able to use the work I did in images to promote my fiverr gig or not? I didn't own the company with the license, just worked as an artist for them, but the designs are my own. Just don't want to get into any trouble here. Image attached of some of the designs I've done so you get what I mean.

enamel pins2.png

• Like 5

3 answers to this question

Hey there,

So if you make a design you are the artist of that design. But when you sell that design to somebody you no longer have the right to use them unless you have permission for that. Reason is, if you upload your delivered work to Fiverr Gig without their permission Fiverr wouldn’t mind. Since those are your works. Buy Fiverr wouldn’t mind untill one of those clients files a complain to Fiverr. And boom you may straight up loose your account and also get a lifetime bann on Fiverr. 

So yes, You can use your works but first you have to ask for permission from your clients and better to have them in some kind of written agreement.  Or atleast ask them in Fiverr message if they are your clients from Fiverr. 

• Like 4

On 3/15/2023 at 2:29 AM, pixel_made said:

Hey there,

So if you make a design you are the artist of that design. But when you sell that design to somebody you no longer have the right to use them unless you have permission for that. Reason is, if you upload your delivered work to Fiverr Gig without their permission Fiverr wouldn’t mind. Since those are your works. Buy Fiverr wouldn’t mind untill one of those clients files a complain to Fiverr. And boom you may straight up loose your account and also get a lifetime bann on Fiverr. 

So yes, You can use your works but first you have to ask for permission from your clients and better to have them in some kind of written agreement.  Or atleast ask them in Fiverr message if they are your clients from Fiverr. 

That's helpful, but not exactly what I was asking. These were all for ONE company, not a client through Fiverr, but they have licenses to produce products for star trek, dc comics, etc. You mention I could with their permission use these images, but would I not also need permission from each of the companies they license those IP's from? does that make sense? The basic copyright stuff makes it sound like if I so much as post a design of say, Mickey Mouse, that I did by myself for myself, I'd still be infringing.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, toastythompson said:

These were all for ONE company, not a client through Fiverr, but they have licenses to produce products for star trek, dc comics, etc. You mention I could with their permission use these images, but would I not also need permission from each of the companies they license those IP's from?

Let's say Company A licenses the "Superman" image from DC for a T shirt design. Company A only has the right to use the image for that one purpose. They could not of course, design a toothbrush holder and just use the image. It is very, very specific.  The reason I bring this up is that Company A would not have the legal authority to give you permission to post DC's intellectual property. Only DC could grant you that, and they would most likely not do it. The biggest risk you would run is a competitor ratting you out to DC, and Fiverr dropping you because of that. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 4