Web Development Personal Information and Site Transfers

farleysweb

Question

I am a web designer and developer who is new to the Fiverr platform and wanted to clear up some questions I had about the order delivery process before I started posting Gigs.

Personal Information

1.  I see that I can't get personal client information through inbox messaging before an order is made, but once the order is confirmed can I message them for personal information to complete my project? From what I've been reading there is an order messaging system that is a bit of a grey area. I often need emails for Opt-in forms, helping to set up payment plans, and site transfers ( I host my projects on a site called Siteground and transfer ownership and hosting responsibilities to my clients when my work is concluded).
  2.  There is also the problem of creating contact pages which also require a good deal of personal information to actually complete the page. Can I get this information through the order messaging system?

Delivering the Product

1.  How do demos work during the design and development process? Can I send clients a link to the current site I am hosting so they can view the site in real time or do I have to use screenshots and video?
  2.  How does delivering the final product work for websites? Is the project considered completed when I send them a folder with their website files, or when I actually complete the transfer of ownership? I usually have payment given to me upfront or just before the transfer of ownership via my contract, but it looks like I have to give up everything upfront using the order system. How do I avoid being scammed for the work I've completed?
Edited by farleysweb
  • Like 7

2 answers to this question

Hi @farleysweb, Welcome to Fiverr and the forum!

Here are answers to your questions:

1. Personal contact information may only be shared if it part of the order requirements, so make sure that you clarify this in your gig descriptions, FAQs, and in your  order requirements when you set up your gigs. Once the order starts, the buyer can share all personal information needed for you to complete the order, as outlined in your order requirements. Do not share this information with your buyer in the inbox.

This is stated in Fiverr's ToS:

• To protect our users' privacy, user identities are kept anonymous. Requesting or providing Email addresses, s***e/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.
  • Any necessary exchange of personal information required to continue a service may be exchanged within the Order Page.

2. Links to your your demos can also be included in your delivery (as outlined in your order requirements). Fiverr is strict on which weblinks you can use, so if it isn't on the Approved URL list, and is require for you to complete your services, outline it in your order requirements. You may also deliver screenshots and videos if that's what you want to include in your delivery. I don't. I just send the link the eLearning platform where I designed the ecourse and Landing Page. 

Approved URLs

• ammyy.com
  • blogspot.com
  • flickr.com
  • mixcloud.com
  • reverbnation.com
  • soundcloud.com
  • spotify.com
  • teamviewer.com
  • tumblr.com
  • vimeo.com
  • wetransfer.com
  • wikipedia.org
  • youtube.com

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011421218-Gig-policies

3. I would deliver the files and then transfer the ownership after the order is accepted by the buyer (or the order closes). Once you deliver the files and the buyer reviews the delivery, they have 3 days to decide whether they want to extend the review period, request a revision, accept the order, or let the order auto-close. If the buyer requests revisions, you can still make changes and revisions because you haven't transferred ownership yet. Once the order closes, you can then transfer the ownership because the revision period is over. As a seller, you need to define what your delivery is, so you can deliver exactly what you promise you will. You can include in your FAQs when ownership will be transferred to the buyer.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:07 PM, farleysweb said:

How do I avoid being scammed for the work I've completed?

Always deliver work using the delivery button - never deliver early in the order chats (or inbox)  or give your work to the buyer before you make a delivery. Once you make a delivery on your order you can get paid, you won't get paid if you deliver your work in the order chats or inbox.

• Like 7
  • Up 3

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions @vickieito. It is good to know that the order page has a system in place for me to interact with my clients to get the information I need. Explaining how the delivery process is handled was also very helpful. I'll make sure to construct a thorough FAQ to go along with my description to clarify what information I need and how it will be used for each Gig.

• Like 4