Are Zoom calls allowed before orders are placed?

pradeepcep

Question

I have been on Fiverr for a little over two months now, and close to completing my first goal of 10 orders.

It's been good so far, but on the flip side, I feel like I have lost out on a few orders because I could not get on calls with the buyers before they placed an order. Here's how a typical scenario plays out:

• buyer messages me with a greeting — "hi" or "would you be able to help me" — with almost no context about their requirements
  • first off, I ask them for their requirements; I ask them to describe what they want help with, or if they have a write up, then to share it with me.
  • they ask if we can get on zoom call or a google meeting. A lot of buyers seem to be more comfortable with showing stuff on a screenshare and talking about it, rather than writing it out in a doc
  • they send me a link to said meeting
  • I tell them I cannot click on that link because Fiverr policy prevents us from talking through external channels of communication
  • the conversation quickly dies from there, and I am assuming they found someone else who was willing to go on the call with them

I understand I can initiate video calls with certain class of buyers, like Business buyers. But the vast majority don't seem to fall into this category, and it's hurting business when I can't talk to them.

My questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that getting on these calls would be a policy violation? Fiverr has no way of knowing the content of these calls, and if an order isn't placed after this meeting, how do I prove I haven't taken business off of Fiverr?

2. What other alternatives do I have to be able to get on a call with buyers from the get go? Is there a plan I can buy, or a status I can achieve? I have gone through most docs on this topic, and I can't seem to find any.

Edited by pradeepcep
forgot I've been here more than 60 days 😅
  • Like 67
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 2

9 answers to this question

Hi Pradeep,

I can understand your frustration. I also believe that it's important to have discussion before starting a project.

Still, I suggest you to keep the conversation within the Fiverr platform.

As an alternative solution, I can suggest you to offer a custom offer to discuss, as you will get video call option (powered by zoom) in your order page.

Also, I am happy to let you know that, Fiverr is working on to avail the video calling option for all users within the message before placing an order.

It's in trial stage now and will be available to all soon.

• Like 62
  • Up 9
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, cpettyss said:

I thought you had to be on Fiverr pro to get Zoom calls or a buyer that has it?

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011062838-Video-calls

Zoom video call capabilities by user

Fiverr is currently beta testing this feature and it is not available to everyone at this time. Please stay tuned for updates.

Fiverr Business  

Sellers can initiate a video call, before or after placing an order, from either the inbox or Order page.

A seller with a Fiverr Select buyer

Sellers can initiate a video call, before or after placing an order, from either the inbox or Order page.

PRO sellers

Pro sellers can initiate a video call after placing an order from the Order page. 

Gig workflow

Orders created from the Gig workflow have access to Video Calls. 

Other sellers

If you're a seller with a Gig in one of the sub-categories below, you can initiate a video call from the Order page:

• App Design
  • Architecture & Interior Design
  • Astrology & Psychics
  • Book & eBook Writing
  • Business Consulting
  • Cooking Lessons
  • Craft Lessons
  • Customer Care
  • Dance Lessons
  • Financial Consulting
  • Fitness Lessons
  • Game development
  • Gaming
  • Industrial & Product Design
  • Legal Consulting
  • Life Coaching
  • Marketing Strategy
  • Mobile Apps
  • Online Coding Lessons
  • Online Language Lessons
  • Online Lessons
  • Online Music Lessons
  • Scriptwriting
  • Songwriters
  • QA & Review
  • Web Programming
  • Website Design
  • WordPress
  • Like 44
  • Congrats! 2
  • Thanks 5

Today I woke up to find the video call option enabled for all buyers in the Inbox, irrespective of whether they are a Business or Select buyer. I don't know if it's because I became a Level One Seller, or because if this feature is now generally available.

@seven_sign Are you able to confirm if Fiverr now offers the video call feature even before an order is placed?

• Like 1

As I told you on that day!

On 6/21/2022 at 2:52 AM, seven_sign said:

Also, I am happy to let you know that, Fiverr is working on to avail the video calling option for all users within the message before placing an order.

It's in trial stage now and will be available to all soon.

This feature rolling out to all sellers gradually. Still in beta stage.
But happy to see that you've got it already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I contacted Fiverr support team months ago about this issue, I'm not sure where the message went to (maybe the topic of the message was something different). 

In short, you will not be penalized by Fiverr if the video call is necessary to get the job started/done.

Basically, you are allowed to video call with your potential clients but you need to make sure not to breach Fiverr's terms of service (i.e. no payments outside of the platform, be professional) 

• Like 2