Is it normal for buyers to want art tests before they decide to buy from you?

gveramoore

I have a buyer who wants me to sketch out character designs for them before they accept me as a character designer for a long term project, I think? After the first group of sketches I was told that the art director didn't like what I did and wants more sketches, but I feel like I'm being used for free art and don't want to do any more. If anything I thought they would just dismiss me as not something they're looking for and find someone else. I have art up from my other gigs so I don't know why they couldn't infer I may not be able to give them what they want.

The buyer has multiple 5 star ratings so that's why I thought they were legit.

I also find it weird that most of my buyers so far want me to do services that are not like the gigs I already have up, but still want to use them to pay.

Having a client proof your experience takes time for you... time that could be focused on a well-paid project. That's exactly the reason why you have a portfolio under your username to prove it. I'd suggest you to ask the buyer to pay a fee for this feature, if they don't accept this offer, they might probably not be respecting your time and you'd be loosing it.

Take the path you think might work best for you.

Best,

John.

If i am spending my time, they are going to spend their money.

Unless you are sure of your client, you knew them or trust them, i say do not give out free samples. As a fellow character designer, i recommend not doing it. Specially if you have some other projects to do. 

Any decent person who respects the artist wouldnt or sholdnt ask for a free sample.

Oh and, everybody has a long term project. Dont believe untill you see it. You can distinguish them by the detail they give you about that "long term project"

Archived