How to spot "fake buyers" in Buyer Requests for beginners

miiila

- They post a budget and delivery time that may actually sound realistic 😉 

(yes, it happens that real buyers do that, but not all too often; this point is written half as a joke, for people who aren't beginners, yet read this topic, and it's very possible that you find a BR with a realistic sounding budget and delivery time that is not by a "fake buyer".
However, I see realistic seeming or even "unnaturally high" (for here) budgets often as part of the tactic of scammers, and if one of the following points also applies, watch out!
And even if none of the following points applies, it pains me to tell you, such BRs will often lead to one of those points applying once they contact you in your message box after you sent an offer. It's sad how many scammers are out there to get you. Try to not be scammed!)

- They make claims that are supposed to make you think they are a big agency/company

but

- ask you to contact them off-Fiverr (not allowed anyway!!!!! Even if a "non-fake buyer"!!!!! Read the ToS!!!!!) ... especially on a gmail or telegram or similar contact address. An actual agency/company that "covers North America’s complete corporate ... needs from our offices in ..., ..., ..., and our project management centre in ..." doesn't operate on basis of a Gmail or telegram address - trust me, it's a scam

- blabber about something like a "guarantee levy fee which is refundable if you meet up our project or jobs" - trust me, it's a scam

- can't decide how to spell their own fake name, ask you, for example, to "contact: Frederic Doe", but give the email as federicdoe123 @ gmail.com (sure, typos happen, but come on, big agency that covers North America's complete corporate needs..., and, again, they do not use such email addresses)

*The quoted bits above are taken from an actual BR I saw today (indlucing the name/gmail thing, in general, I just changed the name and numbers in the gmail address, yep, there even were numbers...), I didn't make that up, as hard as that may be to believe for some of you (unless you regularly scroll BRs, I guess...). To the others: Don't be fooled at least by such obvious scams! 

Unfortunately, even some BRs like that, with gmail address and all, somehow manage to pass the BR gates, and there's no report function in BR, so caring fellow sellers who see through such things right away, can't "save you" by reporting such BRs and "taking them off the market" quickly. You need to save yourselves. Read Fiverr's terms to not do anything that might cost you your account and/or get you scammed, like replying to someone via Gmail or telegram instead via Fiverr, and think before you act.

Don't fall victim to people who unscrupulously prey on the naive and desperate. Read the signs.

A couple of days ago, I received a message from a buyer who wanted to reach out to me through Gmail. He attached his Gmail account to the message. (Buyer is a newbie here) I have messaged him back that I would like to deal on this platform only! Is there anything else I need to do?  

I'd report the message through the "Report" button. There's a huge spam/scam issue at the moment. The more of those scammers are being reported as soon as possible, the fewer people they'll scam, and at least that one account will send no further spam/scam messages. 

On 4/14/2022 at 4:35 PM, miiila said:

- They make claims that are supposed to make you think they are a big agency/company

but

- ask you to contact them off-Fiverr (not allowed anyway!!!!! Even if a "non-fake buyer"!!!!! Read the ToS!!!!!) ... especially on a gmail or telegram or similar contact address.

I just got similar message to this. First he sends his telegram id then continuing with we are big company, low on time. Can you send us some samples? etc... Had western name but was from eastern country. 

Archived