Fiverr doubling up on fees?!

xing6666

Question

I just discovered that Fiverr appears to double fees on both the initial transaction AND on the tip.  This may have been happening and I just happened to notice, as I've used fiverr a bunch, but I just incurred this and came here looking to see if this is making anyone else upset.  That is outrageous - for a $10 transaction with a $5 tip I was charged $4 ($2 + $2) plus 5.5% in fees.  If fiverr wants to charge a single fee per transaction based on value, that's reasonable, but doubling up on fees because you want to tip?  Garbage practice that sellers should be really upset about (because it will stifle tips) and that buyers should be upset about (because it's ridiculous).  

What a stupid little thing to make me want to not do business here.

2 answers to this question

This has always happened. This isn't "doubling up on fees." They simply charge the same fee for every payment a seller receives.

Charging fees for tips is done to prevent people from gaming the system and doing a job for $5, for example, but making an off-handed deal for a $100 tip at the end.

It is absolutely doubling up on fees.  I'm not complaining about the 5.5%, which is already high, I'm complaining about the $2 base fee for transactions under $50 and treating the tip as a second transaction under $50.  Your example situation would captured by the 5.5% fee regardless of whether the amount is paid in the initial or as a tip at the end.  Actually, in your situation, you'd actually get charged $2 more because the $5 portion of the transaction would get that stupid "tax." The $2 on the second portion of my transaction is just Fiverr theft but I felt obligated because it's only right to tip the seller for good work.

Archived