Can you listen to my voiceover and tell me which accent is it?

nisar_hussain

Hey! 

My name is Nisar, I'm from Pakistan. I'm not a native english speaker, I learnt from playing games with online friends and somehow ended up doing tournament commentaries and eventually voiceovers on fiverr. I received fair share of criticism over my voiceovers being terrible, but before I could quit, I made a post on fiverr forums and got some really motivational responses to keep me going. Fast forward a year, here I am still. I've done thousands of voiceovers for very less price just so I can get to do more voiceovers to improve myself. Now I'm facing a trouble that I cannot tell which accent do I have. I was taught British accent in school and I learnt American accent from my friends, and I have the touch of Indian accent too. To not mislead anyone, I don't mention any accent in my gig but it results in low impressions. Some clients said I have Indian accent, and when one person asked for Indian accent and I did the voiceover, he said it's not an indian accent, it's American. So I'm in a state of total confusion on what to do with it. I'm dropping a link to my most recent voiceover. I'll be really grateful if I can get some feedback and help with my issue. Thank you so much in advance!

I don’t think you can really pin point which “accent to put in your gig title. 
I live abroad for a very long time and also have a big mix of accents. While non native speakers will struggle to hear the accent, native speakers will be immediately confused, they can hear the accent but can’t say where it’s from. 

With you, you have a friendly voice but I definitely wouldn’t identify it as British, and I do hear some vocals that sounds “Indian”. Maybe for non native speakers it can pass as American, but native speakers will hear the accent. 
I also can see why one of your clients told you that it’s  not an “Indian accent” especially if they wanted a heavy Indian accent for the VO. 
Probably it’s better to leave it without specifying the accent and let your clients decide if they want it for their VO’s

Archived