Buyer requested to re-design brochure from another designer

mellitrevino

Hi everyone,

Today I received a request from a buyer to recreate a current brochure they had (and also already paid for from my understanding). Their issue with it is that it's a simple pdf file and they want to be able to edit the text which isn't possible with the file they have. My question is, are there any copyright issues if I basically copy someone else's brochure and send it to them as an editable pdf file? How would you handle this situation? 

Thank you!

27 minutes ago, mellitrevino said:

Today I received a request from a buyer to recreate a current brochure they had (and also already paid for from my understanding). Their issue with it is that it's a simple pdf file and they want to be able to edit the text which isn't possible with the file they have.

I have an order sitting for almost 2 months now, because of this exact same thing.

I need to rewrite the English content of the brochure into Spanish, but it's simply impossible for me to do so. All the brochure is an image, with each letter of the text showing as an image object as well. There's no way I can write directly on the file.

I really don't know what their seller did, let alone understand why the source file wasn't delivered to my buyer.

Just now, maitasun said:

I have an order sitting for almost 2 months now, because of this exact same thing.

I need to rewrite the English content of the brochure into Spanish, but it's simply impossible for me to do so. All the brochure is an image, with each letter of the text showing as an image object as well. There's no way I can write directly on the file.

I really don't know what their seller did, let alone understand why the source file wasn't delivered to my buyer.

In my case, the buyer basically wants me to re-create the file and then save it in a way so he will be able to edit the pdf with Acrobat DC (which is not a problem for me, since it's easily done with Illustrator). My question was more if it was okay to just copy the design someone else made for him. But I think since he paid for it and it technically belongs to my buyer in a sense it shouldn't be an issue?

8 minutes ago, mellitrevino said:

In my case, the buyer basically wants me to re-create the file and then save it in a way so he will be able to edit the pdf with Acrobat DC (which is not a problem for me, since it's easily done with Illustrator). My question was more if it was okay to just copy the design someone else made for him. But I think since he paid for it and it technically belongs to my buyer in a sense it shouldn't be an issue?

If it's their own business content then there is nothing wrong if you recreate another designer's file. Cause usually when a client purchase their asset it belongs to them.
Even if a client on the way of rebranding and updating their own content/asset with with rebranding, still there is no issue to do it.

But when a client ask to work with other companies asset with their branding, then the parent company can issue a copyright violation to that company.

16 minutes ago, maitasun said:

It's basically the designer expanded the texts, so it turned into a vector shape. That's the reason the letters are acting as an image.
Only the option, you've to write it again.

6 minutes ago, seven_sign said:

If it's their own business content then there is nothing wrong if you recreate another designer's file. Cause usually when a client purchase their asset it belongs to them.
Even if a client on the way of rebranding and updating their own content/asset with with rebranding, still there is no issue to do it.

But when a client ask to work with other companies asset with their branding, then the parent company can issue a copyright violation to that company.

Awesome, thank you! That's kind of what I thought 🙂

1 hour ago, seven_sign said:

It's basically the designer expanded the texts, so it turned into a vector shape. That's the reason the letters are acting as an image.
Only the option, you've to write it again.

So, basically, my buyer needs to hire a new designer to delete all the English content the flyer/brochure already contains and rewrite it, but making sure the text is editable as text so I can do my job. Did I understand correctly? 

Sorry for the off-topic and my ignorance in everything related to graphic design. 🙈

Archived