Approached by someone claiming to work for Fiverr

superalex76

I’ve been contacted by someone claiming to be from Fiverr staff, inviting me to be a scriptwriter on a new service they are going to run where Fiverr staff will be project managers.

I’m a bit suspicious as this person doesn’t have a Fiverr staff badge and is using a business account. I’m also suspicious as they asked for samples and don’t seem to understand what a scriptwriter actually does.

Anyone else been contacted about this?

Speaking by experience, Fiverr staff regularly contact sellers for collaborations, but they always have a bright green badge stating they are “fiverr team”.

What’s odd, however, is that the thing they mentioned is actually something they are working on for the past couple of months.

(The project management part is true)

Speaking by experience, Fiverr staff regularly contact sellers for collaborations, but they always have a bright green badge stating they are “fiverr team”.

What’s odd, however, is that the thing they mentioned is actually something they are working on for the past couple of months.

(The project management part is true)

I said no straight away as it felt off to me. They definitely don’t have a fiverr team badge, it came from a business account that’s been active for 4 months and has reviews.

I don’t want to say the account name on the forum but that also seemed quite suspicious. I’ve been contacted by Fiverr a few times but they always had the green badge.

I’ve been contacted by someone claiming to be from Fiverr staff, inviting me to be a scriptwriter on a new service they are going to run where Fiverr staff will be project managers.

I’m a bit suspicious as this person doesn’t have a Fiverr staff badge and is using a business account. I’m also suspicious as they asked for samples and don’t seem to understand what a scriptwriter actually does.

they asked for samples

Scam spotted, It sounds like someone who wants work for free

Regardless of whether or not they were part of Fiverr’s team or not (remember that there are hundreds of testing accounts still on site, with reviews and purchase history) it’s extremely unlikely that a Business account would be out to scam sellers.

They could be difficult as clients or micromanage the order or whatever.

But they wouldn’t pay the $3,000 deposit upfront (a requirement to open a business account) just so that they can scam sellers.

Regardless of whether or not they were part of Fiverr’s team or not (remember that there are hundreds of testing accounts still on site, with reviews and purchase history) it’s extremely unlikely that a Business account would be out to scam sellers.

They could be difficult as clients or micromanage the order or whatever.

But they wouldn’t pay the $3,000 deposit upfront (a requirement to open a business account) just so that they can scam sellers.

I don’t think that they were trying to be fraudulent but they certainly wanted me to agree to take on a massive amount of responsibility on a project with little actual detail, plus deliver far outside the scope of what I offer on Fiverr.

No scriptwriter would agree to join a project where they are in effect the conceptual developer, visual designer and scriptwriter all while going through a third party but being paid as a scriptwriter. All of the work, all of the risk for zero reward.

As someone who frequently takes the lead on video production, I know that development can be slow, especially with a new team - I need to check on capabilities, timings, whether visions can be executed efficiently, whether the leap from paper to screen loses something - all of this is before you even start taking into consideration the visual cues that mean something different across international markets, the voice talent you have access to and the difference between client brief and client vision.

I’ve been doing this for over a decade and I know how to help clients articulate the specifics of what they want - why would I relinquish that vital part of the process to a stranger?

What value is the ‘project manager’ bringing to this scenario apart from slowing down communication?

It may make the end clients life easier but it feels like zero benefit to the actual talent.

I’m also suspicious as they asked for samples and don’t seem to understand what a scriptwriter actually does.

And… This is how classic scammers work.

I think if Fiverr were to select you, they will also send you an email but I’m not sure.

PD: It’s a shame we can’t share usernames, would have been great to know who those scammers are. New sellers can be gullible and fall into their traps.

PD2: Ok, maybe they’re not scammers, but I think is pretty sketchy asking for free samples in any case. What does a seller get for days and days of working hard in said project just for it to be a sample? Nothing? If they’re not scammers, they surely are unaware of how things work… Smells like unprofessionalism.

Archived