What to do when: Buyer Threatens to Kill (and ****** ) You

richardbloch

I do applaud you fighting this. In my country, unless it’s heavy bodily harm and up the courts are pretty much useless so I do have a fatalistic attitude about the whole legislative process in any scenario so I’m very curious to see where it goes.

Also, banning buyers is not a punishment. I wish fiverr would stop treating causing minor inconveniences as some kind of penalty. It’s not a punishment if you’re back with the new account in minutes (literally, minutes, I timed it).

Not sure what to make of Lena’s experience, though, perhaps (hopefully!) it’s so rare that people use those words when messaging other users that they were not on the trigger list.

I think when it comes to a manual review (that is, when you directly report a person to a CS agent, with screenshots) buyer’s track record on the platform is taken into a consideration. Which is why the harshest abuse of rules often comes from the top buyers. They feel entitled to do this because they “bring money to the platform”, they did it before with no repercussions.

I reported a brand new user who wanted me to work for free for his charity and after I refused, I was told I should be ashamed of myself and I was a terrible person. Technically, no overtly bad words here to trigger the algorithm (or a CS agent) but they were removed from the platform 10 minutes I reported them.

Now, the most recent guy, directly called me names but a) a top buyer, b) 12 5* reviews from other sellers (one 4* with “there were some issues” which can be interpreted as exactly what it says or can be a coded language for “run, save yourselves”), c) years and years on the platform.They are still active and I can guarantee they will remain active. Me declining to take the project (not my area of expertise) triggered them to have an outburst in my inbox while the others (seemingly) had a great, fantastic, awesome experience working with them so their experience (and $ paid) tops mine and I get it.

With automatic flagging, I think you do have a point about a number of factors coming into it. I have to report the most obvious spam with a bunch of no-no words from new accounts that will hang there untouched for days until, I think, it accumulates a certain amount of complaints from other sellers and is removed.

Also, buyers do get strikes for being rude to sellers (I remember someone complaining about it here). But if you choose to be rude and it makes sense to you, to begin with, would you even care?

• Sorry for all the rambling, but the entire topic bothers me a lot.

Don’t say sorry, it’s totally understandable. 🌼

or can be a coded language

I suppose … :thinking:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you @cyaxrex. After @misscrystal tremendously insightful posts that provided me with truly invaluable information, I’ll take a different, more serious approach and not let emotions take over me.

I’ll try to get a clear outline of the course of action from the law firm, the expected (or even better, fixed) costs and even consider the option of engaging with lawyers in Europe and have them file a report to the Cyprus’ court. It would definitely be easier and more affordable as I’m based in, and much more closely connected with individuals through Europe. Could get the much needed help much easier.

I’ll talk it through with the law firm. Thanks a lot for the great insight! Much appreciated.

Your guys’ responses have been more than helpful. You can’t even imagine how much!

Real quality advice and insight I’m able to use right away to better formulate my strategy and planning ahead with this situation.

Just remember lawyers work to get paid, and paid a lot more than a few thousand dollars usually. It will either come from you or the defendant and probably from you.

I do applaud you fighting this. In my country, unless it’s heavy bodily harm and up the courts are pretty much useless so I do have a fatalistic attitude about the whole legislative process in any scenario so I’m very curious to see where it goes.

Also, banning buyers is not a punishment. I wish fiverr would stop treating causing minor inconveniences as some kind of penalty. It’s not a punishment if you’re back with the new account in minutes (literally, minutes, I timed it).

Not sure what to make of Lena’s experience, though, perhaps (hopefully!) it’s so rare that people use those words when messaging other users that they were not on the trigger list.

I think when it comes to a manual review (that is, when you directly report a person to a CS agent, with screenshots) buyer’s track record on the platform is taken into a consideration. Which is why the harshest abuse of rules often comes from the top buyers. They feel entitled to do this because they “bring money to the platform”, they did it before with no repercussions.

I reported a brand new user who wanted me to work for free for his charity and after I refused, I was told I should be ashamed of myself and I was a terrible person. Technically, no overtly bad words here to trigger the algorithm (or a CS agent) but they were removed from the platform 10 minutes I reported them.

Now, the most recent guy, directly called me names but a) a top buyer, b) 12 5* reviews from other sellers (one 4* with “there were some issues” which can be interpreted as exactly what it says or can be a coded language for “run, save yourselves”), c) years and years on the platform.They are still active and I can guarantee they will remain active. Me declining to take the project (not my area of expertise) triggered them to have an outburst in my inbox while the others (seemingly) had a great, fantastic, awesome experience working with them so their experience (and $ paid) tops mine and I get it.

With automatic flagging, I think you do have a point about a number of factors coming into it. I have to report the most obvious spam with a bunch of no-no words from new accounts that will hang there untouched for days until, I think, it accumulates a certain amount of complaints from other sellers and is removed.

Also, buyers do get strikes for being rude to sellers (I remember someone complaining about it here). But if you choose to be rude and it makes sense to you, to begin with, would you even care?

• Sorry for all the rambling, but the entire topic bothers me a lot.

@lenasemenkova, I can’t thank you enough for your post once again.

I have never, in my 5 years of Fiverr, even entertained a thought that Fiverr might discriminate on the austerity of sanctions not based on the severity of the infraction but based on how much money a user (Buyer) is bringing to the website.

Your post literally opened my eyes to a different perspective I can use to look on dozens of previous cases I’ve had with abusive buyers and I’m absolutely furious.

You know why? Because you are 100% right!

I can’t believe I didn’t even think of it before. Really didn’t cross my mind.

I’ve had more than a couple of dozen of instances during these 5 years where buyers complained about my work (quite politely and without any direct insults or abuse) and openly saying they’ve demanded a refund from the Customer Support only to be told to keep communicating with me towards the resolution as refund is illegible. "Apparently they think you’re right. This is outrageous, can’t believe it. OK, here’s what I need [proceeds to ask for a revision since CS didn’t side with him/her].

These buyers were all polite, courteous and decent, despite asking for cancellation based on personal taste for orders which were delivered as agreed upon.

Do you know what they all had in common?

They were new or low spending buyers who didn’t have much (or any) reviews and usually had the date of joining the same month (or one month before) than the date the order was made.

On the other hand, I’ve had buyers threaten me, blackmailing, demanding me to breach the ToS, asking for communication outside, racially discriminating and similar only to have the Customer Support side with them, cancel the order or practically do whatever the buyer wants without even hearing my story.

What all these cases had in common? A top rated buyer, and buyers that are spending a lot on Fiverr were the one doing the abuse.

I still vividly remember a buyer who has ordered from me in April 2017, coming to me as “an owner of a Canadian Visa Assistance company”. Asked me to write a copy primarily targeted to immigrants from one African country (guess they were the individuals with highest migration rate to his area/county so his targeted audience and biggest customer base).

I’ve done my best to write a top quality copy, only to receive a revision request with a response I vividly remember to the letter: "Man, are you tripping you’re writing for scholars or something??! This copy is intended for a bunch of ####### --s coming to my country to steal work from honest people. Use a ■■■■■■■ simpler language."

I get furious as hell and write: “I’m sorry but I’m unable to continue working with a person who is showing a level of consciousness and tendency for discrimination I hoped we overcame at around the beginning of 20th century, not 21st century. I find your request highly insulting and refuse to continue working on this order. Please cancel immediately.”

Couple responses of “how dare you talk like that to me”, "I believe you are in NO POSITION to lecture ME here, and “who do you think you are to talk to me like that”…

Guess who got a ToS infraction with a warning that "I always have to act civil towards the buyer and ensure polite communication at all times alongside a “Won’t do it again” button following a ToS warning and infraction?

That’s right! Me!

And what’s the difference between this case and the previous one?

This buyer was bringing much more money to the platform. He was top rated.

Mod Note: Country/region reference removed.

@lenasemenkova, I can’t thank you enough for your post once again.

I have never, in my 5 years of Fiverr, even entertained a thought that Fiverr might discriminate on the austerity of sanctions not based on the severity of the infraction but based on how much money a user (Buyer) is bringing to the website.

Your post literally opened my eyes to a different perspective I can use to look on dozens of previous cases I’ve had with abusive buyers and I’m absolutely furious.

You know why? Because you are 100% right!

I can’t believe I didn’t even think of it before. Really didn’t cross my mind.

I’ve had more than a couple of dozen of instances during these 5 years where buyers complained about my work (quite politely and without any direct insults or abuse) and openly saying they’ve demanded a refund from the Customer Support only to be told to keep communicating with me towards the resolution as refund is illegible. "Apparently they think you’re right. This is outrageous, can’t believe it. OK, here’s what I need [proceeds to ask for a revision since CS didn’t side with him/her].

These buyers were all polite, courteous and decent, despite asking for cancellation based on personal taste for orders which were delivered as agreed upon.

Do you know what they all had in common?

They were new or low spending buyers who didn’t have much (or any) reviews and usually had the date of joining the same month (or one month before) than the date the order was made.

On the other hand, I’ve had buyers threaten me, blackmailing, demanding me to breach the ToS, asking for communication outside, racially discriminating and similar only to have the Customer Support side with them, cancel the order or practically do whatever the buyer wants without even hearing my story.

What all these cases had in common? A top rated buyer, and buyers that are spending a lot on Fiverr were the one doing the abuse.

I still vividly remember a buyer who has ordered from me in April 2017, coming to me as “an owner of a Canadian Visa Assistance company”. Asked me to write a copy primarily targeted to immigrants from one African country (guess they were the individuals with highest migration rate to his area/county so his targeted audience and biggest customer base).

I’ve done my best to write a top quality copy, only to receive a revision request with a response I vividly remember to the letter: "Man, are you tripping you’re writing for scholars or something??! This copy is intended for a bunch of ####### --s coming to my country to steal work from honest people. Use a ■■■■■■■ simpler language."

I get furious as hell and write: “I’m sorry but I’m unable to continue working with a person who is showing a level of consciousness and tendency for discrimination I hoped we overcame at around the beginning of 20th century, not 21st century. I find your request highly insulting and refuse to continue working on this order. Please cancel immediately.”

Couple responses of “how dare you talk like that to me”, "I believe you are in NO POSITION to lecture ME here, and “who do you think you are to talk to me like that”…

Guess who got a ToS infraction with a warning that "I always have to act civil towards the buyer and ensure polite communication at all times alongside a “Won’t do it again” button following a ToS warning and infraction?

That’s right! Me!

And what’s the difference between this case and the previous one?

This buyer was bringing much more money to the platform. He was top rated.

Mod Note: Country/region reference removed.

" Man, are you tripping you’re writing for scholars or something??! This copy is intended for a bunch of ############# coming to my country to steal work from honest people. Use a ■■■■■■■ simpler language."

Well, I think here is our proof that buyers’ messages have no filters whatsoever. And I’m here wondering how the female dog references get through. 🙂

Thank you for sharing this, seriously. It’s been truly enlightening and answered all the questions I had.

Mod Note: Quoted text edited.

I’ve had a reappearing person messaging me after placing orders three years ago and by attempting to explain in various ways what is going on, I said something that was taken wrong. Lesson learned: it is best to stop all communication completely.

If you continue to communicate with someone who is making you upset you put yourself at risk of saying something that will be taken wrong and snowball.

You are the one who gets hurt when you try to keep talking to someone who is not stable and harassing you. Go NO CONTACT and keep on going no contact.

You are the one who gets hurt when you try to keep talking to someone who is not stable and harassing you.

I tried this and my order was cancelled for “unresponsiveness”.

You are the one who gets hurt when you try to keep talking to someone who is not stable and harassing you.

I tried this and my order was cancelled for “unresponsiveness”.

I didn’t mean that you should stop talking to someone with an open order, or who had recently ordered. You do need to keep talking to them in those cases. I’m sorry this happened to you though!

I have clients who continue to message me over long periods of time.

I didn’t mean that you should stop talking to someone with an open order, or who had recently ordered. You do need to keep talking to them in those cases. I’m sorry this happened to you though!

I have clients who continue to message me over long periods of time.

Yeah it’s just a messed up situation all together. Thanks

Archived