Before asking for free work, ask yourself one question

loudandskittish

I’d like to hear your experience on this. Thanks!

Hi,

in case I’m not sure if I can meet the clients requirements, I usually start working without an order. When the work is finished and the client is satisfied, the order is placed. I did about 10 orders that way, never had any issues with it.

These orders are very easygoing because there is no pressure, I enjoy working that way.

In my case, doing free work creates income.

Cheers, T

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Refer more posts like this

• 5 months later...

I have made two sample images to clients one ended up in 180$ sale and the other a 200$- so it depends- in our field of work it is a must to make a sample image- also I put 2 days/sample so risks are a must if you want to go forward-

but as I have posted it here I have made my self vulnerable to scams 😃 So I will not Accept any free work from now on!!

I have made two sample images to clients one ended up in 180$ sale and the other a 200$- so it depends- in our field of work it is a must to make a sample image- also I put 2 days/sample so risks are a must if you want to go forward-

Yes, but that’s a lucky shot. And ofc, if your images would have taken 10 hours to make, or 2 days, maybe you wouldn’t give them for free. 🙂

Guest graphic_real

Sоmе buуеrѕ will соmе аnd рrоmiѕе уоu thоuѕаndѕ оf dоllаrѕ if уоu саn gеt thеm a ѕwift sample. Mind уоu, thеу аlrеаdу соntасtеd tеn оthеr buyers thе ѕаmе wау. Hе then gаthеrѕ thе samples уоu аll ѕubmit аnd fасtоrizе whаtеvеr hе nееdѕ оut оf thаt. Nоtе thаt a ѕаmрlе iѕ diffеrеnt from a роrtfоliо, if buуеr rеԛuirеѕ a way tо trust уоur ѕеrviсе, оffеr a рrеviоuѕlу concluded jоb fоr thе buуеr tо tаkе a lооk. if thе buуеr gеtѕ tоо ѕресifiс thаt уоu gеt him a uniԛuе ѕаmрlе аnd thiѕ iѕ ѕоmеthing thаt will take mоrе minutеѕ thаn уоu hаvе in mind, dо nоt ассерt, they are mоѕtlу ѕсаmѕ.

Follow this rule for both new buyer and existing buyer. You might think it will be safe to start work without placing the order for existing buyer. There are some buyer order few $5 orders first and then ask to start working on a $100 order without paying. They say they have various issues with payments, credit cards, etc. Never agree to work for these people.

I’d like to hear your experience on this. Thanks!

More references:

I know this sounds like I’m stating the obvious but I’ve done this before and I’m pretty sure I’ve just done it again. In my enthusiasm to get ahead and please potential buyers I have: completed work before the buyer has filled in the mandatory requirements (if I have enough information) only to find the buyer never fills in the mandatory requirements. No requirements, no order, no delivery, no pay.completed work based on desperate midnight messages from the other side of the world saying pl…
I thought I should write this post to call other sellers’ attentions to a common scam on Fiverr (and other platforms for that matter) so you don’t fall for it, especially if you’re a new seller looking for your first order. The Scenario: You get an message that sounds something like this: “Hello, we are a movie house and we have a big up coming project and will be needing a lot of voiceover work. We like your voice and would like to order from you. However, we need you to send us a sample s…

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I wish I read this thread before. I’ve made that mistake unfortunately, it was my first message on fiverr, I was excited. The buyer wanted a sample and after I worked for hours he said ‘‘I don’t like it’’ and never replied back. He was probably gathering samples from the sellers.

Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

This has happened to me twice. The buyer said he wanted a sample and he was even rushing me to finish up on-time. Immediately I sent him the sample even with watermark on it he never replied as usual. Few hours later he messaged to say that he doesn’t like it which I think it’s even untrue. It was a logo design and maybe he was just gathering samples from sellers.

• 2 weeks later...

I offer a free sample of my work, mostly so a buyer can hear exactly what they’d be getting with me. I never read more than just a few lines, and I never read the full text the buyer sends for a sample. This prevents me from having clients just use the free sample to get a completed job without ordering. It takes 2 minutes of my time and could potentially get me a new, paying buyer. But that’s voice-over. I don’t think I would ever do that with, for example, a graphic design gig.

Its okay for smaller order, since you loose nothing much.

What if they ask to do some expensive things worth over few hundred.

It’s NEVER okay, even if it’s a smaller order. If you give an inch, they’ll soon be trying to take a mile.

Even if it’s only like 10 minutes worth of work, you should be getting paid for it.

I am new to freelancing. This forum and post is a life saver. I recently had these experiencing and I was offering free samples but luckily I did not wasted much time and today I found this forum and reached to this post. It really helped and guided me to redefine my approach as freelancer

I am new to freelancing. This forum and post is a life saver. I recently had these experiencing and I was offering free samples but luckily I did not wasted much time and today I found this forum and reached to this post. It really helped and guided me to redefine my approach as freelancer

Same I just started my freelance journey and I was looking for more tips to improve my gigs and etc. Good thing I came upon this forum!

Archived