Is This The Right Gig For Me?

thecla_tech

Hello again,

As a newbie here, I’m coming to the forum once again for advice to determine if this is the right gig for me. I kind of feel like a toddler learning to stand in an Olympic stadium filled with high speed sprinters.

I’ve been a freelancer/contractor scientist working short-term jobs for major industries and often am required to shift location from place to place. I have never really been settled in any one “home” for very long. I just finished a couple master degree and now exploring something new here on Fiverr, where I can be creative with the skills I have acquired along the way.

Is a voice over gig the right one for me to sell?

In my career for the past 8 years, I have done quite a number of presentations and paid speeches. Another hobby of mine is performing in speech competitions where I have won prizes for my speeches. I have also participated in some videos using my voice as the voice over for the projects.

Here is the gig I just created with a video example of my voice:

favicon.icoFiverr.com fiverr-logo-new-green-9e65bddddfd33dfcf7e06fc1e51a5bc5.png

Fiverr - Freelance Services Marketplace for The Lean Entrepreneur

Fiverr is the world's largest freelance services marketplace for lean entrepreneurs to focus on growth & create a successful business at affordable costs

Could you please let me know what your thoughts are? Should I keep it, change it, or move on?

Thanks!

-Thecla

I don’t know, people sometimes do on Fiverr what they do offline, other times they do here what they can’t do in the “real world.”

For example, I met a medical doctor who writes 500-word articles. He’s good at it, he enjoys it, and he’s not doing it for the money.

Obviously, since you’re not unemployed, you have to choose delivery timelines that work with your schedule. Right now since you’re new, I recommend charging $5 for most things, maybe $10 at most.

Thanks for the tip @fastcopywriter, it gives me something to think about.

I guess I’m testing the water, so to speak, to see what gig will sell. My business card gig sold almost the first day I posted it but my video gigs are still sitting. Although, a little over a weeks is not very long to judge just yet.

Now, proposing this voice over gig and looking for feedback if I’m fit to offer this service? It’s the first time I’ve sold my voice on a platform like this. My paid speeches were by invite, therefore, I have never marketed my vocals before.

Well, technically I am unemployed at this current moment until my next research consultant contract job kicks in this summer. Then I’ll work 20 hrs/weeks with time for me to devote here. I love what I do in the “real world” but also like the freedom to work for myself. I am in an awkward situation where I have quite a few published articles from my research and recognized for some of my past accomplishments. I love the highly technical scientific work I do. I also like to get away from that world when I am home and sift my focus to helping others.

Thanks for the tip @fastcopywriter, it gives me something to think about.

I guess I’m testing the water, so to speak, to see what gig will sell. My business card gig sold almost the first day I posted it but my video gigs are still sitting. Although, a little over a weeks is not very long to judge just yet.

Now, proposing this voice over gig and looking for feedback if I’m fit to offer this service? It’s the first time I’ve sold my voice on a platform like this. My paid speeches were by invite, therefore, I have never marketed my vocals before.

Well, technically I am unemployed at this current moment until my next research consultant contract job kicks in this summer. Then I’ll work 20 hrs/weeks with time for me to devote here. I love what I do in the “real world” but also like the freedom to work for myself. I am in an awkward situation where I have quite a few published articles from my research and recognized for some of my past accomplishments. I love the highly technical scientific work I do. I also like to get away from that world when I am home and sift my focus to helping others.

You’re welcome.

We never know if a gig will sell until we do it. What I suggest is looking at other voice over gigs and see what successful people, the ones with long queues and reviews, are doing. In my opinion, the gig video should be a commercial for a gig.

“Need a female voice over? Then you’ve come to the right place. I have over XX years doing voice overs, presentations, public speaking, and I can help you with your product. My voice works great for real estate, restaurants, explanation videos… But please, no adult, no MLM’s, no gambling.”

To make your video stay relevant longer, make sure you don’t mention how much you charge, since you want the flexibility to change prices without having to record new videos.

Update on this gig…
https://www.fiverr.com/thecla_tech/record-a-sweet-and-unique-american-voiceover

@fastcopywriter, thanks for the great advice, I re-wrote my script to be more general, I took out the old video and replaced with a much simpler and to the point example. Tying to revamp and bring this gig up to speed.

I also upgraded my in-home audio equipment to a professional mic and recording system/studio. Something I have been wanting to do for a while. (a little gift to myself) I re-recorded the introduction video. I’m feeling much better about taking my professional speaker skills into voice acting. I know practice is the key here.

Another gig I want to introduce here for comments…
https://www.fiverr.com/thecla_tech/convert-hand-drawn-or-scanned-maps-to-google-earth-kmz-file

This is closer to what I do in my “real-life” work before I came here. I make maps professionally and often the only way for me to work with clients that are remote is through Google Earth. They often send me really crudely drawn sketches of what they want their maps to look like. I then have to turn that image into to something professional that we can both work with. That is how I came up with this gig. I hope the fiverr platform will be place for it to grow.

Thanks again for helping in launching myself into a fiverr career.

Update on this gig…

https://www.fiverr.com/thecla_tech/record-a-sweet-and-unique-american-voiceover

@fastcopywriter, thanks for the great advice, I re-wrote my script to be more general, I took out the old video and replaced with a much simpler and to the point example. Tying to revamp and bring this gig up to speed.

I also upgraded my in-home audio equipment to a professional mic and recording system/studio. Something I have been wanting to do for a while. (a little gift to myself) I re-recorded the introduction video. I’m feeling much better about taking my professional speaker skills into voice acting. I know practice is the key here.

Another gig I want to introduce here for comments…

https://www.fiverr.com/thecla_tech/convert-hand-drawn-or-scanned-maps-to-google-earth-kmz-file

This is closer to what I do in my “real-life” work before I came here. I make maps professionally and often the only way for me to work with clients that are remote is through Google Earth. They often send me really crudely drawn sketches of what they want their maps to look like. I then have to turn that image into to something professional that we can both work with. That is how I came up with this gig. I hope the fiverr platform will be place for it to grow.

Thanks again for helping in launching myself into a fiverr career.

I’m glad I could help, and I like what you did to your gigs. Just one bit of advice, for your voiceover gig you should have a gig video so people can hear how you sound. If you struggle writing a script for your gig, there are writers here on Fiverr willing to help you out. Or you can write in in the third person.

“Need an American voiceover? I can help you out. My voice can be used for radio commercials, testimonials, documentary, customer communications, and more.”

You can talk about your gig, you experience with public speaking, etc. Or, what some VO artists do is they create a reel of their different commercials

“Get the totally all new 20-17 Nisssan Sentra for only 2-99 a month. Are you tired of living with migraines? Ask your doctor about Novexa. Thank you for calling Bob’s Pizza, our hours of operation are Monday through Sunday, 11am to midnight.”

You could even add different music/audio tracks behind those words, with 1 second pauses between sentences.

Oh no, is my video not displaying yet? I know it can take 24 hrs., perhaps I need to be a little patient before I send my link out. Yes, a good idea to record a demo ad to showcase my voice.

Really having fun with this but hope it leads to some sales soon.

Cheers!

Do you have any samples? How do we know what your voice sounds like?

Tons of voice over artists have samples.

I just uploaded my new sample video with my voice about an hour ago but waiting for the fiverr moderation filter to approve and post it, coming soon 🙂

Edit: I noticed when I logged out of my account to check the link, you can hear the video from the link in my profile in the small box but when you click to go to the description, it is not there? I hope this is only temporary.

UPDATE AGAIN… It’s now live!!!

Slowly I’m creating vocals to use in my other gig videos.

Archived