To Admin: Censorship on Fiverr Forum

Guest integritymedia

Guest integritymedia

I would like Fiverr to end the practice of filtering and replacing certain written words with the term "fragglesrock."

Thank you.

Guest integritymedia

Reply to @ozzieuk:

A commenters chosen words are being replaced. I think that’s important. When I read, I want to know what they are. I’ve never been on a forum where they actually replace words, as if the person wrote them. I don’t like that at all. I don’t mean any disrespect to mods, admin, Fiverr or anyone else. I love Fiverr. Just wanted to suggest the idea that this may be something they might consider changing.

Guest integritymedia

Reply to @ozzieuk:

A commenters chosen words are being replaced. I think that’s important. When I read, I want to know what they are. I’ve never been on a forum where they actually replace words, as if the person wrote them. I don’t like that at all. I don’t mean any disrespect to mods, admin, Fiverr or anyone else. I love Fiverr. Just wanted to suggest the idea that this may be something they might consider changing.

Reply to @integritymedia: I used to be on a forum where all censored words changed to “I am an idiot”. It was hilarious. I’ve also seen some fairly popular forums changing cuss words to more ‘tame’ words. Dang, drat, etc. I thought forum censoring was a fairly standard practice in potentially under 18 groups. And after seeing it a few times you pick up that it’s a forum censor default. I personally prefer stars or not at all, but it’s definitely not an unusual practice.

Reply to @integritymedia: I used to be on a forum where all censored words changed to “I am an idiot”. It was hilarious. I’ve also seen some fairly popular forums changing cuss words to more ‘tame’ words. Dang, drat, etc. I thought forum censoring was a fairly standard practice in potentially under 18 groups. And after seeing it a few times you pick up that it’s a forum censor default. I personally prefer stars or not at all, but it’s definitely not an unusual practice.

Guest integritymedia

Reply to @musiclover:

That would be an improvement. Still, I wouldn’t support replacing a commenters words even if it’s known.

Reply to @metruis:

Interesting perception that this type of practice is fairly standard. I’ve never experienced it outside of the Fiverr forum. I’m a regular member of a different forum where we occasionally have heated political debates. The admin would not dare change our words. We would probably form an angry mob with pitchforks and, then hit the back button never to return. lol.

Reply to @oldbittygrandma:

Thank you! 🙂 I truly hope they will give this some consideration.

Guest integritymedia

Reply to @musiclover:

That would be an improvement. Still, I wouldn’t support replacing a commenters words even if it’s known.

Reply to @metruis:

Interesting perception that this type of practice is fairly standard. I’ve never experienced it outside of the Fiverr forum. I’m a regular member of a different forum where we occasionally have heated political debates. The admin would not dare change our words. We would probably form an angry mob with pitchforks and, then hit the back button never to return. lol.

Reply to @oldbittygrandma:

Thank you! 🙂 I truly hope they will give this some consideration.

Guest integritymedia

This thread disappeared for a short awhile to Admin review. While they were reviewing it, it would have been helpful if they would have typed in a response. At least I would know where this stands. This forum could be like a social tool in which Fiverr Admin connects with it’s customers for meaningful, open and honest two way communication. Collaboration. Instead, there is a wall between us. I think that’s a shame.

Guest integritymedia

This thread disappeared for a short awhile to Admin review. While they were reviewing it, it would have been helpful if they would have typed in a response. At least I would know where this stands. This forum could be like a social tool in which Fiverr Admin connects with it’s customers for meaningful, open and honest two way communication. Collaboration. Instead, there is a wall between us. I think that’s a shame.

Guest integritymedia

Reply to @vedmak: Of course they have a choice. It’s a simple request. Please end the practice of replacing words in posts with “fragglesrock” on the Fiverr forum. This thread has been pulled into Admin review twice already. An expectation of a response would not be out of line. Sigh. I suppose the sounds of crickets chirping IS my answer.

“Fragglesrock” is not the best they can do. Far from it. It’s amazing how many are accepting of having your words changed in posts! I think I’m going to take a break from this forum. I wish you all the best.

Guest integritymedia

Reply to @vedmak: Of course they have a choice. It’s a simple request. Please end the practice of replacing words in posts with “fragglesrock” on the Fiverr forum. This thread has been pulled into Admin review twice already. An expectation of a response would not be out of line. Sigh. I suppose the sounds of crickets chirping IS my answer.

“Fragglesrock” is not the best they can do. Far from it. It’s amazing how many are accepting of having your words changed in posts! I think I’m going to take a break from this forum. I wish you all the best.

Guest integritymedia

Reply to @vedmak: "Would you prefer they use different word?"

For G-d’s sake, seriously? You’re probably joking. Ha Ha. Well, just in case, it’s not the word itself. It’s that they’re replacing a commenters words in forum posts with their own word. I don’t think that should be done, under any circumstance.

Your second statement would be considered a straw man argument, since I’m not debating that forums should be completely uncensored. What if a forum member came in here and posted a list of names, addresses, phone numbers, along with credit card numbers? What if someone came in here to organize an imminent, violent act of physical harm against another person? In extreme cases, I could understand an Admin’s decision to delete a post.

In regards to calling each other out, this is a business forum. Most people here just want to earn money. Not fight with each other. In the few cases where “calling out” occurs, I don’t think it would be the end of the world if usernames were left uncensored. On the contrary, I would prefer it that way.

Guest integritymedia

Reply to @vedmak: "Would you prefer they use different word?"

For G-d’s sake, seriously? You’re probably joking. Ha Ha. Well, just in case, it’s not the word itself. It’s that they’re replacing a commenters words in forum posts with their own word. I don’t think that should be done, under any circumstance.

Your second statement would be considered a straw man argument, since I’m not debating that forums should be completely uncensored. What if a forum member came in here and posted a list of names, addresses, phone numbers, along with credit card numbers? What if someone came in here to organize an imminent, violent act of physical harm against another person? In extreme cases, I could understand an Admin’s decision to delete a post.

In regards to calling each other out, this is a business forum. Most people here just want to earn money. Not fight with each other. In the few cases where “calling out” occurs, I don’t think it would be the end of the world if usernames were left uncensored. On the contrary, I would prefer it that way.

Guest integritymedia

Reply to @madmoo:

“Frequently the replacement of words is automated anyway, however I feel we get the general idea of what was said, and most of us are adults and understand. I know you have already been given a reason this happened the first time and nothing has changed since that reply.” - MadMoo

I think you’re referring to Ozzieuk’s remark, “Certain words are either automatically replaced or manually replaced by the forum sheriffs if they don’t comply with the forum rules.” MadMoo, I’m aware the Fiverr forum replaces words and the reasoning for it. What I was hoping for was some type of response or conversation from Admin, that’s why the title specifies Admin. As I’ve mentioned, I have never been on a forum that manages it by replacing words. Obviously, I feel it’s an unnecessary type of censorship. And this is the suggestion box, so…

“We are trying to do a voluntary job here and it isn’t easy a lot of the time.” - MadMoo

Please don’t take it personal. That was not my intention. I think you’re a great moderator.

“We could leave people to fight it out, but the forum tries to be family-friendly and they don’t want to offend people if it can be avoided. You will always find there are some people who are more vocal than others which is how things are in life. People also fight in real life but it doesn’t have to be that way here.” - MadMoo

I don’t believe disagreement is a problem. In fact, I think it’s a wonderful thing. It can make you pause and evaluate the way you look at something. That’s valuable. It’s when a conversation degrades into back and forth personal abuse, that it becomes negative. I never suggested that you should “leave people to fight it out.” All I have suggested in this thread is to end the practice of replacing words with “Fragglesrock.”

“Fiverr have to protect their business so links to other sites wouldn’t be permitted.” -MadMoo

I get that. Why don’t they post these forum rules with a sticky at the top of the forum so everyone understands the guidelines? If outside links are posted, they could be deleted rather than changed to “Fragglesrock.”

"‘Calling out’ doesn’t work because there are always two sides to any story and if the ‘facts’ are misinterpreted the damage will already be done."- MadMoo

You could say that to argue against leaving feedback as well. I think the best example of calling out is when a buyer comes in the forum to say they’re dissatisfied with a purchase from a seller. You’re aware there are two sides to a story, as most people are.

“It’s unfortunate when posts have to be removed temporarily but often it’s done so the details can be thoroughly checked. It’s not vindictive.” -MadMoo

I wasn’t complaining this thread went into Admin review. Vindictive was not even a thought. I was actually excited about it, just let down when they chose not to say anything back.

Anyway, I hope you’re not upset with me MadMoo. My intention was only to make a suggestion about something I care about. I wouldn’t have come back today to create another post, but I had to respond to the Iceman. 🙂

Guest integritymedia

Reply to @madmoo:

“Frequently the replacement of words is automated anyway, however I feel we get the general idea of what was said, and most of us are adults and understand. I know you have already been given a reason this happened the first time and nothing has changed since that reply.” - MadMoo

I think you’re referring to Ozzieuk’s remark, “Certain words are either automatically replaced or manually replaced by the forum sheriffs if they don’t comply with the forum rules.” MadMoo, I’m aware the Fiverr forum replaces words and the reasoning for it. What I was hoping for was some type of response or conversation from Admin, that’s why the title specifies Admin. As I’ve mentioned, I have never been on a forum that manages it by replacing words. Obviously, I feel it’s an unnecessary type of censorship. And this is the suggestion box, so…

“We are trying to do a voluntary job here and it isn’t easy a lot of the time.” - MadMoo

Please don’t take it personal. That was not my intention. I think you’re a great moderator.

“We could leave people to fight it out, but the forum tries to be family-friendly and they don’t want to offend people if it can be avoided. You will always find there are some people who are more vocal than others which is how things are in life. People also fight in real life but it doesn’t have to be that way here.” - MadMoo

I don’t believe disagreement is a problem. In fact, I think it’s a wonderful thing. It can make you pause and evaluate the way you look at something. That’s valuable. It’s when a conversation degrades into back and forth personal abuse, that it becomes negative. I never suggested that you should “leave people to fight it out.” All I have suggested in this thread is to end the practice of replacing words with “Fragglesrock.”

“Fiverr have to protect their business so links to other sites wouldn’t be permitted.” -MadMoo

I get that. Why don’t they post these forum rules with a sticky at the top of the forum so everyone understands the guidelines? If outside links are posted, they could be deleted rather than changed to “Fragglesrock.”

"‘Calling out’ doesn’t work because there are always two sides to any story and if the ‘facts’ are misinterpreted the damage will already be done."- MadMoo

You could say that to argue against leaving feedback as well. I think the best example of calling out is when a buyer comes in the forum to say they’re dissatisfied with a purchase from a seller. You’re aware there are two sides to a story, as most people are.

“It’s unfortunate when posts have to be removed temporarily but often it’s done so the details can be thoroughly checked. It’s not vindictive.” -MadMoo

I wasn’t complaining this thread went into Admin review. Vindictive was not even a thought. I was actually excited about it, just let down when they chose not to say anything back.

Anyway, I hope you’re not upset with me MadMoo. My intention was only to make a suggestion about something I care about. I wouldn’t have come back today to create another post, but I had to respond to the Iceman. 🙂

Guest integritymedia

Reply to @adsensewizard: It is silly. Although it looks like the filter let you write that word this time. I’m not even going to try, it will just get me upset. lol. 🙂

Reply to @madmoo:

I think the apostrophe is in exactly the right spot. 🙂

The forum rules don’t mention anything at all about replacing your words. Instead it says posts will actually be removed under certain circumstances.

Guest integritymedia

Reply to @adsensewizard: It is silly. Although it looks like the filter let you write that word this time. I’m not even going to try, it will just get me upset. lol. 🙂

Reply to @madmoo:

I think the apostrophe is in exactly the right spot. 🙂

The forum rules don’t mention anything at all about replacing your words. Instead it says posts will actually be removed under certain circumstances.

Archived