Fiverr down and Flashplayer virus

whoamiseo

Reply to @flyby: Correct, but simply downloading the executable is not enough to get infected, you have to actually run it for the virus to work. Unless I’m terribly mistaken! The downloaded file will still be flagged by antivirus of course, but unless you actually run it, it can’t infect you technically.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good job Fiverr. You burned you Ecosystem even more. I can guess that the culprits are laughing right now non-stopped while Fiverr continues to ignore the truth. Hope ya have deep pockets because this could easily lead to a class action lawsuit.

The site was down for planned, routine maintenance. Now it’s back up and running fine. If you got a virus, it came from somewhere else. It’s always advisable to have RUNNING malware/virus protection on your device. When in doubt, run it again. It does no good to wait until the threat is already on your machine, then run the protection software.

Reply to @eddiethornton: The site was not down for planned maintenance, read the Fiverr twitter feed and you will see they were aware of a problem.

FYI - I run the most up to date anti virus and anti malware systems. - Maybe you missed the part where you have multiple users reporting the same issue.

forcedlogic said:
Good job Fiverr. You burned you Ecosystem even more. I can guess that the culprits are laughing right now non-stopped while Fiverr continues to ignore the truth. Hope ya have deep pockets because this could easily lead to a class action lawsuit.

Rate this commentVote Up0Vote Down

This is being a tad melodramatic. Class action lawsuit on what basis? That someone may or may not have hacked it and put on a virus? Good luck with that - let me know how it works.

Despite what you want to believe, governments with huge pockets get hacked regularly. It's 2015 - it's going to happen. Do you really expect Fiverr to be impervious to every single attack vector out there?

Reply to @flyby: Actually someone (a malicious third party) gaining access during a maintenance would make sense. Or the malicious file might have been in the main http dir for ages and thus during maintenance we all got it as we weren’t redirected to https.

Bottom line the file “install_flash_player_17_plugin.exe” was definitely served from “fiverr.com

@mgjohn78 I’m not arguing the point of downtime here. I am trying to make users aware that even though it is being denied by support there was in fact an infected file that was served to users. I would say the majority of users trust this site and seeing a download coming from another trusted source ‘Adobe’ they would have no hesitation in executing the file.

The hack is not the issue, these things happen. The issue is unless a wider audience is correctly informed of this, they are potentially opened up to much more serious problems.

Reply to @flyby: I’m guessing by that response you are not US-based. Just look at any recent hacks of Home Depot, Sony, Target, Michaels…etc. Those companies were hacked months before they made any public admissions of any issues. In pretty much every instance, they knew about the attack, kept it quiet and then finally admitted it later.

I’m not saying it’s what they should be doing, but I’ll politely disagree with the assertion that it’s not the norm to be less than forthcoming.

So, if a normal anti-virus software wouldn’t be able to find it, what should we use to preform a proper scan of our computers? Fiverr hasn’t been down for me (I probably just missed it), but I just want to make sure I don’t have a virus on my computer.

Reply to @buzzkillington: I’m well aware of all of the documented cases of high level hacks. News travels around the world these days 🙂

There is a clear difference here, Fiverr has publicly denied there was a virus served, thus denying their users any form of further mitigation.

In my world and most others; it’s the norm to be honest.

Reply to @buzzkillington: Yes hacks happen every day but like Flyby said ignoring the fact that they happen is a serious problem. Or maybe you don’t remember when Target got hacked and had to shell out millions of dollar as well as get every single hacked person credit monitoring? I work in the legal field so I am well aware of what can be done and what can not.

Wow…I wasn’t saved…I guess I’m the only one. Even though avast found the virus it must of been too late. When I rebooted my computer I got a message that I was not using an legitimate copy of windows. Anything related to fiverr was wiped out. Nothing else was touched just my fiverr stuff. Weird.

I’m in the process now of reinstalling windows, next mother board drivers, than graphic drivers.

I can’t believe I’m the only one who got socked badly…why me???

Reply to @forcedlogic: I do remember quite well. But if you’re in the legal field, can you tell me the last company that had to shell out for credit monitoring when no credit card information was compromised?

Everyone is jumping to way too many conclusions. Target and Home Depot paid for credit monitoring because their POS systems were compromised. To my knowledge Fiverr doesn’t store any of that information - sure they store details of transactions, but they don’t actually process any payments themselves. So what exactly do you think they’d be paying for?

How to remove this Virus from any PC, Step By Step:

1st. Uninstall your current Free Antivirus program, restart your pc. Go to: Start- Control Panel- System & Security- Windows Firewall- Check Firewall status (If it’s off turn it on)

2nd. Download any premium antivirus software like - Bitdefender, McAfee, Norton, Eset Smart Security, Kaspersky (You can select any one)

3rd. Install the new antivirus & run Full System scan (It will take at least 1 hour)

4th. Restart your PC. Then download CCleaner. Close all your browsers ( Click on - Run cleaner button)

5th. Visit Fiverr.com again - Make sure to check it’s https secured then (Sign In)

6th. Don’t forget to change your Fiverr account password.

Last Step - Keep your web browser up to date to help stay secure and to get the best online experience 🙂

Archived