Fiverr Design Contests! (99Designs Format)

rmalaski

I would like to see a fiverr design contest for gigs, this would be a great way for newer sellers to have a chance to get noticed and receive reviews, and for buyers who want to see more design options to choose from.

Perhaps offer the basic design contest for PNG, JPEG format and charge more for this kind of services like $50.00 per contest.Then the winning seller can upsell with the additional gigs after they have been selected.

Guest vectormoon

Why would anyone want to work for free? Places like 99design are the worst way for any newbie to start their career.

This is coming from a buyers prospective, so I dont get to see the other side. I agree, I dont like the fact that people work for free but it definitely has a huge upside for a buyer and challenges the designer to perform better as well. I cant begin to tell you how may gigs have purchased from “top rated sellers” waited a week or longer and the end results are not what I wanted, so I have to purchase another gig or two to finally get what I wanted and it took 3 gigs to find it. I would gladly pay more for more options and higher quality!

You dont have to participate if you dont want to, and thats what is great about it.There are plenty of designers that do like that format and is why 99 designs is so successful. From a buyers prospective its a great platform, don’t get me wrong so is fiverr! I have spent about 5K with 99 designs this year, and have friends that have spent more than that… and thats just a missed opportunity for you and the fiverr community in my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Reply to @rmalaski: Maybe your expectations are unrealistic. Art gigs are subjective, artists sometimes hit it, sometimes miss it. Outside of Fiverr you might hire a graphic designer for $500 to $2,000 and he’ll give you 100 logos with a lot of revisions. This is Fiverr, from the seller’s portfolio you should be able to see what they can do. You should also provide examples of logos or Facebook timeline covers you like if that’s what you’re ordering.

I’ve heard of 99designs, and while is true that one artist might get paid $189 to $599 for a t-shirt design, it’s also true that 99 of them won’t get paid a dime.

Why do we work? To make money. What happens when our work doesn’t get picked? We lose time and money. Time is very precious, I don’t want to spend a minute working on something unless the likelihood of getting paid is almost guaranteed. That is why I detest contests and see them as a resource for the desperate. Just saying.

@fastcopywriter I always do my due due diligence when selecting a gig. All Im trying to is improve the buyers experience why not offer something that could balance both formats… Anyone who get rated a 3 or above do get paid… if you quality is not a 3, then you have something to work on…

That sounds fair to me, this also brings up another questions since you brought price into the quality of workmanship we receive on fiverr. Should we expect less quality because it is only 5bucks??? Personally, I do… not sure if thats what fiverr thinks though!

Not to mention, you feel you don’t get paid is an incorrect statement… on Fiverr true you do get paid for each transaction and 99 designs you only get paid if you win… however im sure if you took the jobs you did win and divided them with the ones you didn’t that average per job would be better or close to what you are making now…

Reply to @rmalaski: What if 100 people get rated 3 or above? Are they all gonna get $5? Think this through, in contest settings like 99 Designs, only the winner takes all.

"if you took the jobs you did win and divided them with the ones you didn’t that average per job would be better or close to what you are making now… "

I doubt it. First of all, at 99 Designs you need at least $299 for the Bronze package, and you only get 30 designs. On Fiverr I could hire 59.8 designers for that kind of money. And don’t feel sorry for those designers, if they’re making $50 a day, they’re making $1,500 a month, and some designers make more than that. Fiverr said Newbolt makes $100,000 a year.

Contests are crap, a friend of mine is a photographer, he makes good money shooting weddings. Why doesn’t he take your advice? Why doesn’t he enter photography contests? Simple, winning $100 to $1000 once is a joke compared to getting $250-$500 per wedding.

@fastcopywriter , simple… limit the number of people who could enter the contest!

"I doubt it. First of all, at 99 Designs you need at least $299 for the Bronze package, and you only get 30 designs. On Fiverr I could hire 59.8 designers for that kind of money. And don’t feel sorry for those designers, if they’re making $50 a day, they’re making $1,500 a month, and some designers make more than that. Fiverr said Newbolt makes $100,000 a year. "

True, I would have to hire 59.8 gigs…and would be willing to, but the current format does not allow for that to be simply done, you can’t manage all those gig’s currently and is exactly why we would need a contest format!

Its simple, if you dont want to participate and you find no value in it… you dont have to! I’d bet it would work for both parties…and you cant compare services that cant be performed in fiverr to services that can.

Archived