What to do if a buyer didn't provide the file needed?

m_elkon

I got an order to edit a video, with requirements and a google drive link, but the link is not accessable (needs the owner's premission).

I messaged the buyer here to tell him, and asked for the permission at google drive (and just sent another reminder), yet there was no response.

What to do now? And is this a common scam/troll here? (Esp that the buyer didn't cominucate beforehand and I think there wasn't any changes in the "gig clicks").

A bit of search saying cancelling the order will effect my "completion rate", is that true and what are the other?

• Like 3
  • Up 1

I don’t think you’re being trolled. It’s just clients being clients. 

I personally love getting Google Drive links where I am expected to request permission to view the content. Thus sharing my personal Google email with the buyer. Thus breaking Fiverr ToS by providing the buyer with my personal contact information. 

There are a few ways you can go about this:

1. Message the buyer multiple times. 6-12 hours apart if the deadline allows it. (Downside: annoying).
  2. Request the deadline extension, explain why. Email notifications for deadline extensions or cancelations usually have a higher chance to get through to buyers. (Downside: using the resolution center for deadline extensions is considered ‘a conflict’ and is not good for your Success Score.)
  3. Request cancelation. You are unable to start working, there is nothing to deliver, what is even the point. (Downside: using the resolution center for cancelations or cancelation requests is considered ‘a conflict’/‘cancelation’ and is not good for your Success Score.)
  4. Contact CS, ask them to reach out to the buyer on your behalf. My personal favourite. I don’t know what is it they do but it works 99% of the time. I usually get a response from a buyer within a few hours. (Downside: reaching out to CS to help you resolve the issue is considered ‘a conflict’ and is not good for your Success Score.)
Edited by lenasemenkova
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1

@lenasemenkova   Thanks for all those details. I contacted CS since the time is running out and waiting for their response.

Should I also "extend the delivery date"? I'd need it anyway since now there isn't enough time to complete the order, and I already got a reminder to deliver.

And is this extenstion up to the buyer or not? Like if he refused or didn't respond, should I ask for a cancelation, or let the time expires?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, m_elkon said:

@onik_wp  Thanks, but I can't just let the delivery date expires, right?

sometimes patience is important. Not every buyer is on fiverr every day or they miss the message from you.

A learning experience is, always ensuring that your delivery date gives you time to comply. 
I accidentally set it too tight once. This gave me more stress to meet the deadline.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, dianabelfor said:

always ensuring that your delivery date gives you time to comply

I set it to 2 days which seemed fine. Not sure it would've mattered much if the buyer didn't provide the files and didn't respond after ~80% of the duration.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, m_elkon said:

Thanks, but I can't just let the delivery date expires, right?

You can't. This will allow the buyer to give you a 1* even though you haven't stated the project, haven't delivered anything and none of it is your fault. 

6 minutes ago, m_elkon said:

Should I also "extend the delivery date"? I'd need it anyway since now there isn't enough time to complete the order, and I already got a reminder to deliver.

Do you mean it's late already? Or do you still have 12 hours or less?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, m_elkon said:

12 hours or less.

I'd request a deadline extension as well at this point. Just provide a clear explanation for it. I cannot access the files, hence can't start working on the project and the timer is running out. 

PS 

For future reference, when you see you just got a new order, try to check everything and reach out immediately if there is a problem. If it’s within 10-15 mins after the order went active, chances are the buyer is still poking around the order page and you’ll ‘catch’ them. 

(I know it’s not always possible because freelancers have real lives to adhere to but quick reaction saved me from these kinds of frustrations multiple times).

Edited by lenasemenkova
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, m_elkon said:

@lenasemenkova Thanks, I'll do request it. Should I cancel if it wasn't accepted/responded to, or let the time expires?

Good question. I’d cancel personally but I can see that you don’t have any reviews yet. So I’d ask a CS agent to advise what would be less harmful for the account. 

• Like 4